Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone here an egghead?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Anyone here an egghead?

This is something new to me. Any of you have one of these?

For Eggheads, grilling is a way of life

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not me,

Those are way too expensive, when a Weber works just fine for me.

Jim

Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Administrator

I saw that article and was surprised. Instead of a news or human interest article, it seemed like a long, un-paid advertisement to me.

I have been accused of being an egghead, but not in that sense! I have the usual propane grill on my back patio.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Years ago I had a deep rounded metal grill and I loved the way it cooked things well enough to grill outside year round - even in the rain or snow. The bottom of it finally rusted or burned out and I had to get rid of it. I never heard of these eggs before, but they look something like my old favorite, so I'm not surprised they have a faithful following of fans. Wow, look at those price tags though.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cajun Cooker II (barrel shaped) and a big seafood boiling pot with woven mesh basket for pulling out the crawfish.

heh heh heh - covered patio so year round as the mood strikes.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #6

Not an egghead. I use one of these: WSM Product Information - The Virtual Weber Bullet as well as a charcoal grill.

DD
Old 07-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm no egghead in any sense of the word but grilled eggs, that's intriguing. I've been craving eggs lately but this thread from another forum might cure me:

Forums > steam egg V.S grilled egg
Old 07-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My friend has one of these eggs. It does make excellent grilled food. For me at least, it is hard to keep the temperature down enough to do something like a smoked butt well. If he is busy in the kitchen and it's my job to regulate the fire I don't do very well.

Ha
Old 07-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #9

I had never heard of these things until just recently when I met a guy who was going on and on about how great they are. He and his wife are sort of the rich-geek California types, so I just marked it up to more Marin County weirdness. Seems like it has the makings of a national fad, even at the hefty price.

I can't imagine using one here in the summer though. Last night it was 95 degrees at 9PM. Tending hot coals is about the last thing I would want to do.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I had never heard of these things until just recently when I met a guy who was going on and on about how great they are. He and his wife are sort of the rich-geek California types, so I just marked it up to more Marin County weirdness. Seems like it has the makings of a national fad, even at the hefty price.

They look great to me, small and multi-functional; apparently you could bake eggs. A neighbor used to keep an immense Weber grill on the roof but an apt. manager (and maybe the fire dept.) protested. The new landlord might not mind an egg. But 600 degrees on the the roof, it would be like living in (a hot state of your choice).
Old 07-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #11

BiL has a green egg and loves it. But I've never been all that impressed with what he has produced with it. That might be a user error issue though!

I'm still loving my electric smoker - just did baby back ribs for a dozen folks on the 4th and they were a huge hit. The favorite part is that I don't have to spend much time tending the darn thing. After setting the temperature and time all I have to do is add a few wood chips every few hours.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #12

My BIL in SC has had a green egg for about the last 6 years and he is rapturous about it. I don't bother to grill out of doors for myself. I use a grill pan on my gas stove or I wait to be invited for barbecues at friends' homes.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I was going to reply that everywhere except here, I'm an egghead (I bow to the eggheadness of the members of this forum--I wonder what the combined IQ is).

We just replaced our 35-year-old 18" Weber charcoal with the 22" version (which we bought over the 4th of July with the Veterans' Discount that was publicized here! Yay, $11 back!)--so we're good to go until Firecalc tells us our money runs out. No Egghead for us.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Never heard of one, so off I went to look it up.
The Big Green Egg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Looks pretty neat, but I didn't see where any price info was online. Is it a secret ?
I'm holding out for a Brinkman bullet shaped smoker on sale, so not to worry, my TX friends.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Looks pretty neat, but I didn't see where any price info was online. Is it a secret ?
No, but selling them online is apparently verboten. Wiki page has company link that sez:
Quote:
There are no authorized internet retailers for Big Green Egg products. Purchasing any Big Green Egg product from an internet source will void the warranty associated with that product. To purchase a Big Green Egg please contact a dealer in your area.
Link to dealer locator gadget: A Ceramic Smoker, Grill, Barbecue. The ancient oriental kamado cooker re-born.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Never heard of it until now. I have the basic Weber propane grill from my local Home Depot, nothing fancy.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #17

uh, no, but we do use our gas grill at -40.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #18

I think I said somethink like this on the New York BBQ thread. I use a Brinkman $39.99, at Acadamy, for smoking brisket. I looked at the Webber Bullet and I have heard about the Egg. Even with a 10 year waranty it still does not make money since. My brinkman last between 5 to 10 years, before I replace it. Is it as good as the others? Probably not, however, I have won cook offs with the one I have, so I am not sure the $325 more for Egg or Weber just does not make since. I will say if you are going to smoke in extreme cold, then I might consider the electric or gas version of the Brinkman. Not a problem in South Texas.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote