Anyone here an egghead?

I saw that article and was surprised. Instead of a news or human interest article, it seemed like a long, un-paid advertisement to me.

I have been accused of being an egghead, but not in that sense! I have the usual propane grill on my back patio.

Years ago I had a deep rounded metal grill and I loved the way it cooked things well enough to grill outside year round - even in the rain or snow. The bottom of it finally rusted or burned out and I had to get rid of it. I never heard of these eggs before, but they look something like my old favorite, so I'm not surprised they have a faithful following of fans. Wow, look at those price tags though.

Cajun Cooker II (barrel shaped) and a big seafood boiling pot with woven mesh basket for pulling out the crawfish.

heh heh heh - covered patio so year round as the mood strikes. :cool:

My friend has one of these eggs. It does make excellent grilled food. For me at least, it is hard to keep the temperature down enough to do something like a smoked butt well. If he is busy in the kitchen and it's my job to regulate the fire I don't do very well.

Ha

I had never heard of these things until just recently when I met a guy who was going on and on about how great they are. He and his wife are sort of the rich-geek California types, so I just marked it up to more Marin County weirdness. Seems like it has the makings of a national fad, even at the hefty price.

I can't imagine using one here in the summer though. Last night it was 95 degrees at 9PM. Tending hot coals is about the last thing I would want to do.

I had never heard of these things until just recently when I met a guy who was going on and on about how great they are. He and his wife are sort of the rich-geek California types, so I just marked it up to more Marin County weirdness. Seems like it has the makings of a national fad, even at the hefty price.

:LOL:
:ROFLMAO:

They look great to me, small and multi-functional; apparently you could bake eggs. A neighbor used to keep an immense Weber grill on the roof but an apt. manager (and maybe the fire dept.) protested. The new landlord might not mind an egg. But 600 degrees on the the roof, it would be like living in (a hot state of your choice).;)

BiL has a green egg and loves it. But I've never been all that impressed with what he has produced with it. That might be a user error issue though!

I'm still loving my electric smoker - just did baby back ribs for a dozen folks on the 4th and they were a huge hit. The favorite part is that I don't have to spend much time tending the darn thing. After setting the temperature and time all I have to do is add a few wood chips every few hours.

My BIL in SC has had a green egg for about the last 6 years and he is rapturous about it. I don't bother to grill out of doors for myself. I use a grill pan on my gas stove or I wait to be invited for barbecues at friends' homes.

I was going to reply that everywhere except here, I'm an egghead (I bow to the eggheadness of the members of this forum--I wonder what the combined IQ is).

We just replaced our 35-year-old 18" Weber charcoal with the 22" version (which we bought over the 4th of July with the Veterans' Discount that was publicized here! Yay, $11 back!)--so we're good to go until Firecalc tells us our money runs out. No Egghead for us.

Looks pretty neat, but I didn't see where any price info was online. Is it a secret ?
No, but selling them online is apparently verboten. Wiki page has company link that sez:
There are no authorized internet retailers for Big Green Egg products. Purchasing any Big Green Egg product from an internet source will void the warranty associated with that product. To purchase a Big Green Egg please contact a dealer in your area.
Link to dealer locator gadget: A Ceramic Smoker, Grill, Barbecue. The ancient oriental kamado cooker re-born.

Never heard of it until now. I have the basic Weber propane grill from my local Home Depot, nothing fancy.

I think I said somethink like this on the New York BBQ thread. I use a Brinkman $39.99, at Acadamy, for smoking brisket. I looked at the Webber Bullet and I have heard about the Egg. Even with a 10 year waranty it still does not make money since. My brinkman last between 5 to 10 years, before I replace it. Is it as good as the others? Probably not, however, I have won cook offs with the one I have, so I am not sure the $325 more for Egg or Weber just does not make since. I will say if you are going to smoke in extreme cold, then I might consider the electric or gas version of the Brinkman. Not a problem in South Texas.

Back
Top Bottom