The Blues (music)

SJhawkins

Recycles dryer sheets
Calling all Blues fans,

Been a big Blues fan my whole life, being a guitar player may have something to do with it!

The history is so vast, much music of today is the root of the Blues. I feel many of the early Blues artist never got the credit they deserve unfortunately.

To kick off this thread, any Blues people here want to "play"?

So many artists new and old that I'm not sure where to start, my hope is to learn of artists I may not have heard and maybe spark a new interest in others.

To kick it off lets keep it simple, these folks I would not call old Blues but you can't go wrong with the 3 kings. The 3 kings are Albert, Freddie and BB. My guess BB is the most popular.

It's tough to pick one of three kings I like best as their styles are so different. I'm going to toss out Freddie King as a suggestion to look into, his interpretation and playing is just fantastic, to me anyway. Listen to Sen-Sa-Shun, San-Ho-Zay and can't forget Hide Away. I would say these are not old school Blues by any means, not very "bluesy". My hope maybe this will make you tap your feet and dig in deeper!

What say you, thoughts, any artists new/old you want to share?

Saw BB King in concert in the 90-ies. He was already up in age and had to rest frequently, but what a great show! I got to see one of the legends!

In late 60's I was, like everyone else, a fan of the "new" hard rock. But I was alone among my circle of friends in also enjoying Blues. My first blues album was Kooper and Bloomfield's Super Session. A few years back I went to a blues concert of multiple artists, including BB. His performance was disappointing. My favorite performer is Buddy Guy.

Probably not so much straight blues but I’m a big fan of R&B. I’m keep hearing classic R&B riffs/chord progressions in Pink Floyd these days. A lot of classic rock contains R&B.

Albert King: I have some great stuff with him and Stevie Ray Vaughn together. To me that is classic R&B.

... my hope is to learn of artists I may not have heard and maybe spark a new interest in others. ...

What say you, thoughts, any artists new/old you want to share?

Muddy Waters and Buddy Guy were mentioned, I saw Buddy again recently (he actually lives just a few miles from me, but never bumped into him!), saw Muddy at Harry Hopes in Cary, IL, (late 70's, early 80's? he passed in '83) where some of his tracks were recorded.

But stuff you haven't heard? Are you familiar with the Siegel-Schwall band recordings with the San Francisco symphony?

I've also seen Corky Siegel perform a few times in recent years, one of the last with a form of the Siegel-Schwall band, with Sam Ley on drums.

Hmmm, gonna have to give this some thought, I know some obscure blues stuff, but you might not find it anywhere!

-ERD50

In the 1970's there was a local band (simply called "The Blues Band") in Mobile Alabama. They performed a lot of local shows and a few were recorded on 4 track recorders. A few years ago those recording were cut on CDs and offered thru CD Baby. I bought a few and still enjoy their interpretation of things like "Crosscut saw" and "Killing Floor". There are 2 albums, Live at Thirsties Labor of Love Vol I & II. I think these are both on Apple Music.

Indigenous, for something more current, belive they are still gigging. The earlier stuff they did was fantastic.

I'm slow. I just made the connection: SJhawkins

SJ = Screamin' Jay...

-ERD50

I like the blues and especially blues-based RnR.

Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown (with the terrific bass player Harold Floyd)

Got to see Hooker in a very small venue toward the end of his career. Great performer.

I loved this scene from the Blues Brother movie.

As an aside, a short while back, listening to Sirius XM Blues channel, I heard Big Mama Thornton's version of Ball and Chain. I told my wife that I liked her rendition......and a few days later learned for the first time that actually she wrote it. So, it was Janis that did the rendition. I also read that due to some legal mumbo jumbo, Thornton wasn't entitled to any royalties, but Janis voluntarily paid her the royalties.

The etymology of the blues appears on this wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues

Of course there are many books on the subject as well. The blues label is applied broadly today, having originated in the deep south among slaves.

This chart shows the evolution of sacred and secular music among African-American slaves. https://scalar.usc.edu/works/will-t...media/the-evolution-of-african-american-music

Taj Mahal documents the original roots of black music in America through his recordings. In 1999 he collaborated with Toumani Diabate, the koura master, to join together the West African with his Caribbean/Blues flavor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulanjan

OK, a bit out there, but not so obscure. Clifton Chenier. Mostly known as "The King of Zydeco", he also played blues and other styles. I recall the first time I heard this blues wailing on accordion, blew me away! Like many my age, my only familiarity with accordion at that time was the white-bread styling of the Lawrence Welk show.

His son (C.J.) carried the torch after Clifton passed in 1987.

-ERD50

There's an young Blues guitarist, raised in Mississippi. He's self-taught, and blessed with a natural feel for the Blues. His story has been on PBS and also on 60 Minutes. Kid's got some great youtube videos out there.

Perhaps you've heard of Christone 'Kingfish' Ingraham. If not, google him.

Last edited:
And more obscure. Saw them several times (even my Dad went to see them!), and they recorded with Steve Goodman. They put on a great show!

-ERD50

These are great, thanks.

I have spent most of my life in the Chicago-Milwaukee area, and saw a number of the Chess veterans when I was younger, like Muddy, Wolf, Willie Dixon, etc. I think T-Bone Walker's influence is underappreciated. A lot of people credit him with establishing the electric guitar as a solo instrument.

Among more modern-day artists, the musicians who made up the Carolina Chocolate Drops stand out, particularly Rhiannnon Giddens. Here she is performing a couple traditional songs.

I used to like the blues very much. Been to BBs place on Beale in Memphis. Not that I can remember much of that night... that's how good it was..lol

Probably my favorite was Muddy Waters.

For a modern player still working, look up Seasick Steve.

Right now for something similar I tend to like Appalachia type music that veers into the blues sometimes. Look up Matt Heckler for probably the best example..

.... Among more modern-day artists, the musicians who made up the Carolina Chocolate Drops stand out, particularly Rhiannnon Giddens. Here she is performing a couple traditional songs. ...

Yes, she's great. I first came across her a few years back from this video, where she plays fretless banjo and such a haunting tune/delivery. I also think she is so beautiful here, not made up, hair in simple braids. Such a nice contrast to all these 'Instagram Models' with the makeup so think they look like mannequins/robots. I dunno, just something striking about her for me, and all that talent!

-ERD50

When I lived on the east side of Milwaukee in my early twenties, I frequently would walk to a bar called Hooligans on Monday nights to watch Luther Allison play (for free). He would literally play on top of the bar.

When I lived on the east side of Milwaukee in my early twenties, I frequently would walk to a bar called Hooligans on Monday nights to watch Luther Allison play (for free). He would literally play on top of the bar.

Howlin Wolf's guitarist, Hubert Sumlin, also played regular gigs in Milwaukee when he was living there. He had a pretty bare-bones style, a little like Muddy Waters.

A pianist who also backed Wolf regularly was Sunnyland Slim. Here's a video of Slim with Sumlin maybe 60+ years ago.

Last edited:

If you were in Milwaukee back then, you may remember Jon Paris. He left Milwaukee for bigger venues and was Johnny Winter's bassist for a while. Jon's wearing the Chuck Taylor low-tops that were de riguer at the time.

I only lived in Milwaukee for a couple of years as a young working adult--around 1984 to 1986, so I'm not familiar with the other musicians you mentioned. But I enjoyed listening to them now, especially Hubert Sumlin.

Back
Top Bottom