Anyone update to Windows Internet Explorer 7?

Gone4Good

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anyone had the same problems I've had?

I'm typing this using my just-installed version of Firefox because IE7 was driving me absolutely nuts. It's slow. It crashed constantly. I felt like I had been relegated to the third circle of internet hell . . . dial-up.

They pushed this product through as an "auto-update." I was perfectly happy with IE6 and only updated it because I figured it patched up security problems, and the like. What a mistake. :rant:

If you haven't updated already, you might want to think twice about it before you do.

Yeah, I updated to IE 7 - I looked at it and then continued to use Firefox.

Why don't you do the same. :)

Cut-Throat said:
Yeah, I updated to IE 7 - I looked at it and then continued to use Firefox.

Why don't you do the same. :)

Done!

What C-T said.

I switched from IE to Firefox years ago and never looked back.

EDIT: Ooops. Looks like you are already ahead of me...

We have IE7 on one of the computers at w*rk......I'm thoroughly impressed with it....NOT!!!

I use Firefox 99% of the time and love it! Especially since that Gates guy doesn't have a hand in it!!!

I stopped using IE with version 5 since they no longer supported Mac's. I'm another Firefox user.

IE7 here, not a lick of problems. Really liked FF too.

I have IE7 and enjoy the tabs. My MS programmer relative isn't impressed. Once in a while I get C++ error messages but it doesn't crash.
What I really like is Google's new home page. :smitten: I can share my calendar with family, watch my investments, and access lots of handy tools.

I updated my laptop to IE7 and was really unhappy with it for the first week. I didn't like all that junk in the bars at the top of the screen, and IE7 is too rigid to just customize to trim all of it out and make it look like IE6. But after using IE7 for a while, I love it, and intend to update my desktop to IE7 also this weekend.

It takes a little while to get used to it, that's for sure. I've also heard of some technical applications that will not run with it. Personally I haven't had any trouble, though.

3 Yrs to Go said:
They pushed this product through as an "auto-update." I was perfectly happy with IE6 and only updated it because I figured it patched up security problems, and the like. What a mistake. :rant:
I canceled that but now I can never turn my back on the auto-update icon again.

It amazes me what we've come to accept as "acceptable" in computers. It reminds me of the comparisons between operating a PC and a car. And I know that if I install Firefox there'll be a two-month period of searching, downloading, installing, and general tweaking that has nothing to do with getting actual tasks accomplished. I used to enjoy the process but it's gotten real old over the last couple decades.

I took a different route-- I'm not going to upgrade to either Firefox or IE7. I'm limping along on IE6 and testing out a friend's Mac later this year. As soon as I can verify that it handles all the spouse's Navy Reserve websites and the kid's school needs, we're making the switch.

Want2retire said:
It takes a little while to get used to it, that's for sure. Personally I haven't had any trouble, though.

Same here...

- Ron

I removed IE from my computer entirely and will never install again. Have Firefox and am seriously thinking of LINUX

Bruce

I upgraded to IE7. No troubles at all. Love the improvements (some of which ff already had).

Nords said:
testing out a friend's Mac later this year

Dont make me come over there...

You might find firefox to be a lot less painful than you think. It imports your favorites and cookies during the installation and both firefox and IE remain usable...even at the same time. I cant think of any special tweaking or other stuff I had to do to make FF do my bidding, other than setting up the initial tabbed browsing (which IE7 supports) that made my browsing life several times more convenient.

Its also been a long time since I found a web site that didnt work with FF. And if you go with a mac you'll most certainly be doing some changing as the browser options on that machine are all quite different from IE, although old versions of IE for the mac will work.

And man...you're gonna have a lot of time spent to get comfortable with the mac. Jerry Pournelle once said something like "Macs ARE easier...because you either figure out how to do something right away or you never will" implying that the 'ease of use' both simplifies some common things but hides enough of the more advanced stuff that its practically impossible to tease it out and fiddle with it.

The only oddity I have going on since installing IE7 is I noticed that under some circumstances web sites with heavy flash content will cause my dual processor core2duo machine to grind almost to a halt. In firefox or IE7 and only when I've previously run IE7 since rebooting. A reboot and doing the same thing in firefox makes it go away, but if I then run IE7, exit, run firefox and go back to the same site...thunk.

Started happening right after I installed IE7...so theres some issue with flash and IE7 and dual cpus.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Dont make me come over there...
Exactly my point-- no onsite tech support required!

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
And man...you're gonna have a lot of time spent to get comfortable with the mac. Jerry Pournelle once said something like "Macs ARE easier...because you either figure out how to do something right away or you never will" implying that the 'ease of use' both simplifies some common things but hides enough of the more advanced stuff that its practically impossible to tease it out and fiddle with it.
Hmph. I don't disagree, but considering all the hours that I've wasted "getting comfortable" with a Windows PC, I'll probably still be ahead of the game.

I'm not looking forward to the next couple years' learning curves of Vista, quad cores, updates, bug fixes, Office upgrades, and so on. I eagerly participated in that crap ever since I "upgraded" to a 286 but I'm ready for a real change. I think we have our PC noses jammed so far into the tree bark that we're failing to notice how ridiculously low our forest standards have sunk.

Besides, if I switch to a Mac then I won't have to keep three fire extinguishers and a charged hose handy for this AMD64 box...

Internet Exploder just plain sucks. :p I don't care how many releases MicroSoft puts out.

Three main reasons that Firefox is better?

Faster in some cases, smaller, not microsoft, fewer detected security problems, LOTS of user written plug ins including some nice plug in scripting tools that let you add goodies in, and until recently...tabbed browsing.

Some examples...click 'developer tools' to see the real goodies since you've done some code development.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/extensions/

Nords said:
I won't have to keep three fire extinguishers and a charged hose handy for this AMD64 box...

Excellent point.

Fresh in memory is when I bought my gf a mac figuring that would end the regular tech support activity when I was at her house. It didnt. She still had problems except now I had no idea how to fix them. Which worked out almost as well.

I didnt really observe the magical ease of use benefits, and that was comparing it to windows ME, not XP, which I hadnt converted to.

TromboneAl said:
Three main reasons that Firefox is better?

From my experience over the past 24 hours:

1) It's faster
2) It doesn't crash
3) It doesn't make me want to throw my computer out the window.

If MS was trying to grab defeat from the cold dead corpse of the browser wars, they have certainly done an outstanding job with IE7. I don't typically gripe about MS (as some people are prone to) but I never would be using FireFox now if MS hadn't pushed a defective product on me.

I've been using IE 7 for a few weeks now and it works great. In the past I ran firefox because of the tabs and extensions. I've always found IE to be faster than FireFox and this trend continues with IE7. IE's zones are nice. I love the 'no flash' extension for Firefox.

Firefox does have some memory issues. The application uses way too much memory in it's default state and will gobble up more and more memory as you open tabs. Forunately, you can limit the amount of memory that firefox uses via the about:config settings.

If you use different operating systems Firefox is nice because you'll have a consistent interface.

Opera is good too!

Re: Mac vs PC. Apple's move from OS-9 OS-X was a big improvement for the Mac. At this point these OSes have a lot more in common than they are different. They keep borrowing the good ideas from the other side. They are both good.

I've been using Ubuntu Linux for awhile and it's outstanding. Ubuntu recognized all my hardware (including a DVD burner, USB hard disk, and FireWire DV capture.) It's free and the install is faster and easier than Mac and Windows. There are thousands of high quality, free, open source programs available via their 'add/remove programs' repositories. It comes with Open Office and FireFox preinstalled. Unfortunately I haven't found a decent audio player, but I'm sure one will come along.

Back
Top Bottom