Anyone still using Quicken 2014?

spncity

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi all - lots of questions.

Anyone still using Quicken 2014 software that resides on your computer?

Do I remember that the 2014 is the "last" version that resides on the computer and then at some point Quicken changed to subscription / online only? OR is there another later version of Quicken that resides on the computer?

We've been using Quicken 2014 with Codeweaver's CrossOver v.20.0.4 software (also an older version) that lets me run the Windows version of Quicken on a Mac Mini.

(I'm tech support, he does the entries and reconciling for Quicken, I do the reports and pretty charts - LOL).

But now the 2023 TurboTax (version that resides on a computer) won't work unless I upgrade from Big Sur (I know, I hate change).

The current MacOS is Sonoma. Unfortunately, I upgraded to Sonoma, only to find that Quicken wouldn't launch.

I emailed with the CrossOver folks who are very responsive. They say the CrossOver v.23 and v.24 are the only ones that work with Sonoma but evidently they don't run Quicken 2014 well. And the CrossOver guy also stated he wished he had stuck with HIS Quicken 2014... LOL...!

We have Quicken data since 1996...!

We have very slow internet (talking hotspots). For that and other reasons, online software does not appeal.

So - what are our choices and what advice might you have?

1. I could revert to a Mac Mini backup from earlier today (undoing the MacOS update), keep Quicken 2014 and then run Turbo Tax on a Macbook Air. But keeping an old MacOS may not work forever.

2. I could dedicate a PC laptop to Quicken 2014 and somehow hook it up to the monitor. Do ya think I could get a longer life out of Quicken 2014 this way? Do you think it will run on Windows 11 ?

Appreciate any suggestions!

P.S. Quicken 2014 gets a little glitchy sometimes. Do you think that is due to the volume of entries because we have data since 1996?

We upgraded Quicken a few times, but have settled on Quicken 2006. We don't use TurboTax, we don't download transactions from the web. Back on12/31/1995 we were too deep in records, so we re-started from that point's numbers and just kept records of the before times. Still manages to track all the rentals, bank accounts, loans and stock,/bond/T-bill stuff. Think we may still have the archival Zip disks from back then - or maybe an old clanker of a hard drive. Wouldn't be surprised if the volume of your records has Quicken getting glitchy.

We're running Windows 10Pro.

I don’t think the current version is online only. They did change to subscription. You can still use your version without subscription but you don’t get things like quotes etc.

I’m still using Quicken 2007 for Mac. But I’m trying to start up again with the latest, I just don’t have time to do it.

I use the latest version of Quicken (now called “Quicken Classic”) for Mac and it definitely resides on my hard drive. I look for the Black Friday sale each year for a discount, usually somebody posts about it here. Not sure how it works if you aren’t connected to the internet.

I use the latest version of Quicken (now called “Quicken Classic”) for Mac and it definitely resides on my hard drive. I look for the Black Friday sale each year for a discount, usually somebody posts about it here. Not sure how it works if you aren’t connected to the internet.

This ^^^ is what I do. I had an issue with the old Quicken that I couldn’t recover and had to do the upgrade. Watch for it to go on sale and pay the subscription. I don’t like it, but I had no choice. Getting it on sale makes it a lot more palatable.

I still have some old data on Quicken 2012. Over the years I decided to simplify to the point where I can keep everything I need on one very simple spreadsheet.

The old data which is still of interest is all the old cost basis info since these are mostly non-covered assets. I do have a backup that I keep telling myself I will format better and import into a spreadsheet from the CSV file. On the other hand, we will never sell these assets so it really doesn't matter if I have the cost basis or not.

Not a direct answer, but quite a few of us gave up on Quicken long ago and are quite happy with Moneydance.

Since I don’t want to give up 32bit app support on macos, I still run an older version. I run newer versions of macos in a virtual machine so I can use TurboTax. You can also dual boot your mac to have both the new and older macos and easily share files. If you choose the dual boot method, there are docs with the steps required to do this on the web. If you choose to partition your internal disk, back it up before doing the partition.

Great input! Keep the ideas coming! This is very helpful as I think through things.

What is the usual price range for discounted subscription? I will no doubt try "everything else" before this step, though.

Learning a whole different system seems too easy to put off :(

Learning about virtual machines and dual boot seems like a tall order for my skills, but who knows.

Now here's an idea I had not thought of:

We do have the old Mac Mini bought in 2012. The same Quicken is still on that, just need to bring over the data file of entries - and it never needs to go on the internet because we don't do downloads.

The current, newer Mac Mini could do everything else and TurboTax (it is an M1, three years old, as it just ran out of the original Apple Care policy.)

So, my lovely tech buddies (as we're getting to the edge of my pay grade...) what Quicken data file or files do I need to take back to the old Mac Mini to do that? :)

Since I don’t want to give up 32bit app support on macos, I still run an older version. I run newer versions of macos in a virtual machine so I can use TurboTax. You can also dual boot your mac to have both the new and older macos and easily share files. If you choose the dual boot method, there are docs with the steps required to do this on the web. If you choose to partition your internal disk, back it up before doing the partition.

What else do you run that is 32-bit?

What is the usual price range for discounted subscription? I will no doubt try "everything else" before this step, though.

Around $30 - about half off is typical.

Do I remember that the 2014 is the "last" version that resides on the computer and then at some point Quicken changed to subscription / online only? OR is there another later version of Quicken that resides on the computer?

We've been using Quicken 2014 with Codeweaver's CrossOver v.20.0.4 software (also an older version) that lets me run the Windows version of Quicken on a Mac Mini.

(I'm tech support, he does the entries and reconciling for Quicken, I do the reports and pretty charts - LOL).

But now the 2023 TurboTax (version that resides on a computer) won't work unless I upgrade from Big Sur (I know, I hate change).

The current MacOS is Sonoma. Unfortunately, I upgraded to Sonoma, only to find that Quicken wouldn't launch.

I emailed with the CrossOver folks who are very responsive. They say the CrossOver v.23 and v.24 are the only ones that work with Sonoma but evidently they don't run Quicken 2014 well. And the CrossOver guy also stated he wished he had stuck with HIS Quicken 2014... LOL...!

We have Quicken data since 1996...!

We have very slow internet (talking hotspots). For that and other reasons, online software does not appeal.

So - what are our choices and what advice might you have?

1. I could revert to a Mac Mini backup from earlier today (undoing the MacOS update), keep Quicken 2014 and then run Turbo Tax on a Macbook Air. But keeping an old MacOS may not work forever.

2. I could dedicate a PC laptop to Quicken 2014 and somehow hook it up to the monitor. Do ya think I could get a longer life out of Quicken 2014 this way? Do you think it will run on Windows 11 ?

Appreciate any suggestions!

P.S. Quicken 2014 gets a little glitchy sometimes. Do you think that is due to the volume of entries because we have data since 1996?

A subscription IS needed to get updated Quicken. We've been usuing Quicken for many, many years and pre-subscription would buy a new version of Quicken every few years. The last version of Quicken on CD we have on our desktop PC is from 2020. That version has been updated through subscription every year. If we decide to drop the subscription the version we now have will continue to work.

We HAD data going back at least as far as the OP but a bug attacked our data corrupting much of it. Unfortunately, I didn't realize some of the older data had been corrupted until *after* :facepalm: I had been making backups. My only choice was to lop off most of the data older than date X and start from there. I hated losing all that data but the only other choice was to manually correct each corrupted entry. I didn't think I could live that long.

I still have Quicken install discs from 2016 and 2018. I bet you can find earlier disc versions thru an internet search...Amazon, eBay, etc.

Last edited:
2016 here. I was less then happy when they went to a subscription model. I use it for a fancy check register and could move, but just stubborn.

Not a direct answer, but quite a few of us gave up on Quicken long ago and are quite happy with Moneydance.

Yep, since 2012. Which reminds me that I should upgrade to the latest version. Not required, but I like to support them.

Would this work?

Thanks for all the posts!

I'm now thinking of setting the 2012 Mac Mini back up, which still has Quicken 2014 (Win version running with Codeweaver's CrossOver on Mac). Will copy the data file from 2021 Mac Mini back onto the 2012 Mac Mini.

If Quicken stays too glitchy because of so many transactions, I could retain the data file to have 1996 thru now as non-archived so it easy to refer to.

Then what do you think of this>>> Can I reinstall quicken in a different folder, set up all the accounts and categories again and have that installation go from now to the future. Would probably decide to break at year-end 2023 or put it off and break at yearend 2024.

Or is this magical thinking?

What say ye?

When I moved from MS Money to Quicken to Moneydance, I always started over. I kept the old data files for reference, but I found that I rarely needed the old data. At this point, I'm not even sure if I could load the data files.

In moving to current Quicken Mac I intend to start over. My present Quicken 2007 Mac file is just too big and cumbersome. Lots of old ticker symbols and accounts that aren’t used. Ideally I might go back to Jan 1 2024 to set these up but that means I’m already way behind.

We’re moving into heavy travel season soon….

I'm in somewhat of a similar situation:

I run Quicken 98. I accomplish this by running Oracle VirtualBox with Windows 2000.
This is all on my main laptop.

My problem is that around year 2027 (ie about 30 years after software release) the new transaction dates entered get very wonky and appear to be unusable.

I will be in a need of a new solution assuming that I can't keep kicking the old mule after 2027.

-gauss

Last edited:

I am using Quicken 2017 on Windows 10. I *think* this is the last version before they went to the subscription service, as that is one of the reasons I stayed with this version. It still meets my needs, no glitches and I have some data that goes back to 1996.

I switched over to the subscription service in 2018. There are always deals to be found that makes the annual rate palatable. In fact, I just bought q quicken deluxe renewal on Newegg fro $32 after sale price and a $4 instant coupon. I can live with that.

I have Quicken 2017 (the last one with no subscription) on my Mac, running Sonoma. Runs great. I got it on eBay, where they occasionally show up.

I actually have not used it for quite awhile. I wrote my own "Quicken" in Excel a year or so ago, and use that now instead.

I stay current on subscription. The software still resides on the Pc. You can choose not to back up to the cloud.

I don’t understand the resistance to the subscription. Seems like it is something like $30-$40 a year. If quicken is going to stay in business they have to have a revenue stream.

I have Quicken 2017 (the last one with no subscription) on my Mac, running Sonoma. Runs great. I got it on eBay, where they occasionally show up.

I actually have not used it for quite awhile. I wrote my own "Quicken" in Excel a year or so ago, and use that now instead.

Good to know.

Thanks to all who commented.

For the moment, I did dust off the 2012 Mac Mini, which still has Quicken 2014 (Win version running with Codeweaver's CrossOver on Mac). Copied the data file thru Feb 20th from newer Mac Mini back onto the 2012 Mac Mini. Both machines are hooked up to the monitor, each with keyboard and mouse. We switch HDMI input to go back and forth.

I learned a lot on this discussion. Looks like I have options going forward. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom