Arbitron

martyb

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I thought I saw a thread on this once, but did a quick search & didn't find anything. If it's a repeat, sorry about that. Is or has anybody else done the Arbitron ratings thing? Seems like I read the pay was pretty low for the hassle. I was contacted by them through the mail a little over a month ago, with a letter asking me to do a survey, and $2 cash in the envelope. I looked at the survey, which was very short, plus, the promise of $10 upon completion. I'd heard of Arbitron, so figured what the hell, did the survey & sent it back. I didn't hear anything for a few weeks, then I got another letter from Arbitron asking if I'd do one of their Diary surveys, where I write down the stations I listen to for a week. They said they'd pay me $10. Also, for every member of my family that was 21 or older, same deal. There was also $3 cash in the envelope. 2 days later I got an envelope with $5 cash thanking me for doing the first survey. I called the 1-800 number listed, talked with somebody and agreed. A few days ago, I got the first promised $10 cash in the mail. (Don't know why they sent $5 first & then $10). Today, I received the 3 survey diaries, each one had $3 cash tucked into it, with a promise of $10 each after a week of diary-keeping. Looks like a very few minutes a day for the $$. So far, they've paid me $20 cash, plus the $6 ($3 apiece) for my wife & son to do their survey, and will be paying us another $30 total after we mail in our diaries next Thurdsay. I'm thinking this is a pretty good gig! Of course, I realize it could end as quickly as it began. Anybody else getting paid by Arbitron? As long as it's not a hassle, & it's tax free, and I don't start getting tons of spam from it, I'm happy to do the surveys & collect the cash. I REALLY like that it's actual cash, crisp new $1 bills (except the $10 bill). No checks, vouchers, discount coupons etc. Real money. No paper trail! :D

Texas Proud said:
Well, I guess posting here is not a 'paper' trail...

Or, you know, the actual papers being sent through the US postal service. ;)

I remember receiving a diary from Arbitron some years back with $2 in crisp new bills. I didn't fill the diary out (probably because I was working in the radio industry at the time) and cannot remember whether or not I kept the $2.

I meant no paper trail as in no checks cashed. It's such a small amount, I'm not really concerned.

I did this when I was back in college. It was pretty easy to do since we didn't have a radio in the dorm room, I didn't have a car, and things like Walkman had not been invented yet. Got the money, but sent in a diary that was basically blank.

I have never heard of this Arbitron, but I will tell you about the best survey gig that has ever come my way (and I can only hope that I might get so lucky again).
About 11 years ago, I got a phone call at home from a market research company that I had never heard of. The young woman explained that my name had been selected somehow. I am guessing that it was because my husband had just bought me a new Infiniti (after a fight, er, heated disagreement, but this is ancient history) and said Infiniti was titled in my name alone. Anyway, she invited me to come to a local hotel on a certain date and answer a few questions pertaining to the automotive trade. She told me I would be paid $200.00 in cash and dinner would be served and it would all take less than 2 hours. I got a letter in the mail confirming all this, and it was explained that this offer was not transferable and I would have to show photo ID.
I showed up and it was very nice! There were about 12 of us select (ahem) individuals and the sponsor turned out to be GM wanting our opinions on a new Cadillac. It was fun, it was easy, and something like this will never come my way again. I could not hit the survey jackpot twice!

Back
Top Bottom