Join Early Retirement Today

Arctic parka or coat minimalist?
Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This Morningís pooch walk and itís 15 degrees and blowing. I wore my super warm arctic parka with fur brimmed hood. Bought it last year, it was marked down and a steal. I figure fashion be dammed; if I must be in Pennsylvania in December I am going to be warm. The wife and I just got back from shopping very few people about..

So whatís you deal nanook of the North or jimmy buffet?

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #2

Loose and layers.

Grew up in North Dakota - often the parka was the outer layer of several layers. As a kid, I had a paper route 7 days/week. 30 below and 30 MPH winds (a common winter condition); papers still delivered before school.

Now in North Carolina - still loose and layered, but no parka required for me. DW? Outer layer is parka on occasion.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The high on Saturday is going to be -18 to -15, the low Friday night around -33 in Fargo, ND. Colder over in Minnesota. Probably will be some -40s. Hopefully we avoid the -50s in the region. 1996 was a harsh winter. Many lows in the -50s with Tower, MN bottoming out at -60F.

Hard to wear any single coat that is warm enough for that weather. I can get by with a Costco SoftShell ($15) for most winter days down to 0F. With a hat and gloves and just being outside for short periods. I have a warmer parka style with hood for below zero.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

5 degrees in CNY now.
Jeans and a Lands End winter coat over a flannel shirt. Waterproof shoes are a must.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It rains a lot in New Orleans (64" average annual rainfall). Any outerwear has to be OK in heavy rain.

My winter coat is a hooded Columbia jacket that I got on sale 15-20 years ago at Cabela's. It is waterproof, but also it is pretty well insulated against the cold. I can't wear it when the temperatures are above 50F because it is too hot. In our coldest weather (20's and 30's), it is warm enough especially if I wear layers under it.

It keeps me nice and toasty warm, and dry in heavy rains. It has velcro at the cuffs which I like too.

The model apparently isn't made any more for adults, but it looks very similar to this one that Columbia still makes for boys:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (30.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Layers, with waterproof as the final layer.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

I get cold in October and donít warm up until May. I usually need one more layer than everyone else. I have lots of options for base/mid/outer layers and a few times a year I break out my nanook of the North parka.

I also have a good supply of hats and gloves.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

This
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coat.jpg (67.8 KB, 49 views)
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
This
What a memory. My DF had one of those. I used to drive by Woolrich every week. Awesome products, they used to have an outlet store there too. Haven't been there for 39 years.

My vote is layers. I just got back from the grocery store and it was sunny 30įF out, comfortable in a t-shirt and hoodie. Take away the sun and add another layer, add wind add maybe one more.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #10

I'm in MN, and we know how to deal with cold. Very cold here now and will get colder this weekend. Long undie top, shirt or sweater, Columbia polartech anorak, jeans, warm knee-highs, and warm second pair of socks for around the house on cold days. For outdoors, I have an entire coat wardrobe: puffy Land's End long coat with furry hood for the coldest weather, along with Canadian made lined boots. I'm never really cold and tend to be throwing off layers during the day.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I get cold in October and donít warm up until May.

I did my undergraduate studies near Canada and definitely saw some 20 below days. Goose down parka was the predominant attire and I didnít get cold. At 63, I really hate the cold with a passion...

Iím thinking portable hot tub...
Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

None of the above? Just went outside to do some quick work on the minivan and did so in sandals (with socks of course, because I can), shorts and short sleeves. It was 22 and felt cold but no extremities were harmed in the process.

On the 1 mile round trip cold morning walks to school to drop the kid(s) off, I usually wear a mid-weight jacket. If it's below 20 or so (which only happens a dozen times per year probably), I'll put on the heavy winter coat that my mom bought me as a kid. Usually by the time I'm back home I'm unzipping whatever coat I'm wearing to cool off.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
None of the above? Just went outside to do some quick work on the minivan and did so in sandals (with socks of course, because I can), shorts and short sleeves. It was 22 and felt cold but no extremities were harmed in the process.

I donít like to label but MINIMALIST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'll put on the heavy winter coat that my mom bought me as a kid. Usually by the time I'm back home I'm unzipping whatever coat I'm wearing to cool off.
And it still fits? Sweet Moses!
Old 12-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just want to say thanks for reminding me why I put up with California politics; the weather. I've skiied 3 days in the past 7 and sat on the outside deck in a t-shirt as I ate lunch looking over Lake Tahoe. I wore a light jacket with a fleece vest under it as I skiied though. I drive home with the sun roof open.

Here is a link for the live-cams for where I've been hanging out; (I live less than an hour's drive away)
https://www.sierraattahoe.com/live-cams/
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #15

My fav is a down filled jacket and jeans w long johns or flannel lined jeans.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #16

It all depends...
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I donít like to label but MINIMALIST!
Lots of built in insulation

Quote:
And it still fits? Sweet Moses!
I'm a little skinnier now than when I was 12 or 13. I was a big kid.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #18

I'm with some of the posters from the north. I was born and raised in the Dakota/Montana country and layers cloths is the way to dress up here. Weather temps can change fast so layer and loose not tight fitting cloths is the best.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The Day After Tomorrow kind of temperature swings we've had the last few years have prompted me to buy an artic parka for California (Northern).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #20

Lots of layers and a parka, including polartech thermal underwear from Cabelas. Very often Grabbers footwarmers or toewarmers. I buy 'em by the case wherever they're on sale.

I'll freely admit to being a wuss when it comes to cold weather but I thrive in the summer when others are wilting from the heat. I don't come out of long sleeves until the temperature hits 80į or above.