Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2015, 11:42 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

I have 3 radio's sold by Crane, all excellent and reasonably priced.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In Target the other day I bought a $14.95 Jensen portable radio. As it turns out I am surprisingly very happy with it--really good sound quality. I sure saved myself $$$ over the Bose, huh?

It is cute, too. All I wanted was a radio, and I got one. Life is good.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Having previously worked for Bose's Engineering dep't I can tell you that sound quality and component quality are top notch. Bose does not shortcut designs, nor quality. Every product is stringently tested before they ship, and if they fail they are destroyed (i.e. no rework, just destroyed beyond salvage).

I can't speak to the price being "worth it", but I can attest the the high quality of the products.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like Bose products, but find them to be fairly expensive for what you get. I'd be interested in comparable products for less.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Thanks. I'll look into Sangean--never heard of that brand before. Also, I may go the Craigslist boombox route. There are a few there, as well as clock/radios of the ugly hotel variety. . .
Check out thrift stores like Goodwill or St. Vinnie's. I spotted an Aiwa all-in-one stereo at a Vinnies over the weekend on sale for $30. No Craigslist flakes to deal with, either.

As for Bose, I've never been a fan of their sound or their prices.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone I know that purchased anything from Bose eventually had trouble with their equipment or speakers.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, I forgot about Crane. I agree they are good, too.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
Everyone I know that purchased anything from Bose eventually had trouble with their equipment or speakers.
I bought a pair of Bose 901s over 30 years ago. They were slightly used, in fact. I guess eventually I may have trouble with them. So far, not.

For my home theater I bought the Acoustimass system, almost 20 years ago. Still no problem, but again, eventually I or one of my heirs will probably have a problem.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

So the paper in the cones never dried out and cracked? Have you looked in the last 10 years? Maybe they were fixed before you bought them.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Bose wave and a Sangean clock radio. They both sound good but the Bose sounds better.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess anecdotal examples can say and mean anything. We have one Bose radio and a set of Bose speakers and they've been fine. OTOH, the Crane radio I purchased has been a piece of s*it. It arrived without the AC cord in the box and I had to purchase one because they wouldn't believe they could have left it out. The LCD digital display crapped out after about two years and Googling got me info that it's a common problem. Minimum repair charge is $50 + parts and customer pays shipping both ways. So, I just use it without a display by finding a few stations and putting them in memory. Blaaah.......

FM and WX performance seem good. AM sucks. Poor selectivity and images of strong local stations overload the front end and appear up and down the band.

I wouldn't buy another Crane radio unless I could have it for a lengthly test run.

Strictly anecdotal. Maybe I just got a lemon.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So the paper in the cones never dried out and cracked? Have you looked in the last 10 years? Maybe they were fixed before you bought them.
Not that I've noticed.