Can I retire like this? (3.2 million net worth)

remotedesktop

Confused about dryer sheets
Background:

I just turned 40. My net worth is 3.2 million. 1 million liquid cash, the other 2 million is equity in my houses including primary residence and rental properties for a total of 8 properties. Cash flow is about 30K a year because I cash out refinanced a couple years ago to buy more properties with the equity rather than using cash on hand. Real estate has been my bread and butter, it's how I made my 3 million. At this point, I make 1 million a year off of it (appreciation, cash flow and principal pay down). Again, I make 1 million a year off appreciation and such when the market is good, which is most of the time...factor that in.

I was planning on buying two more houses with a total of 300K down to ride the appreciation wave long term, two more houses that will be paid off when I'm older, etc. I had planned on retiring at 40 with 1 million, this was the plan I made when I was 30. Now I have three times that but life is more expensive and complicated than it was 10 years ago.

My living expenses:

Because I rent out part of my house, I mostly live for free housing wise. Outside of that my living expenses as far as base are 1K, but realistically 2K. That includes money to date, buy a trinket here and there, etc. To be really comfortable I'd like to have 4K a month passive income in retirement. With a paid off house, in a low property tax state, utilities, taxes, maintenance, insurance should round up to 1K. That leaves 1K for gas, car insurance, food, incidentals, internet, phone, etc. So that brings me up to 2K per month. But I'd like another 2K buffer as I have occasional rental expenses such as repairs, appliances, etc. plus I date a lot and when in a relationship we have a tendency to travel. I've been to Tampa and Orlando 4 times in 3 years with 3 different women (one of them twice).

The why:

I'm tired of working and life. I've had many recent heart breaks and I don't want to work anymore, that's one less problem I have to deal with. I haven't wanted to work for a long time but now I'm really done. I had two health scares and almost died at 29 and 34, I'm not promised another day. They say stress causes cancer. I've worked so hard, MBA, 18 career certifications that were hard to get, own and manage rentals, two full time tech management jobs, two part time jobs. I've been working so hard. To top it off I've had a series of failed relationships last few years. After having a long period of stability with one girl for 9 years, I'm an emotional mess, dating is getting harder as I get older, the women are not as good looking and all seem to have baggage/issues. After a recent life assessment I did, I realized everything in my life that I worked toward came to pass. But my relationships are rocky. I'd like to take time and heal, grow and find a life long forever girl. One that I'm compatible with and stays forever.

How I'm thinking of doing it:

-Relocating from WA to a cheaper part of Texas, Tennessee or Florida. With the equity of my primary residence, I should be able to buy a paid off house for cash. That will drastically reduce my living expenses.

-Take 1 million cash and put it in index funds or split between Apple, Tesla, Amazon, Google and Microsoft and live off 3% withdrawal rate of about 30K a year. Supplement that with rental income from properties as is, which is about 24K a year cash flow.

OR....

-Still relocate, but cash out refinance 1 million out of the houses before retiring. Between living off index funds and 1 million pulled out of the houses, that money should EASILY last me 10 years, realistically 15-20 years. By then the rents will have risen enough that they will cash flow enough I don't have to cash out refinance anymore for money to live off of. There are some people who do the cash out refinance thing every few years to live off of. Bonus is that it's tax free, it's a loan so not taxable income.

OR....

-Still relocated, use the 1 million to pay off 3 of the rentals, which should give me about 6K a month cash flow plus another 1K from the others that are still mortgaged. Move into a paid off house and retire. I like this because I've always lost my money in the stock market no matter what I've done. Options, swing trading, day trading, index funds, you name it. But real estate I've always made money. It's how I made my 3 million. At this point, I make 1 million a year off of it...so in a year I'll be worth 4 mil, in 2 years 5 mil, etc. At that point I could really retire without worrying. Maybe I hold off for now and grind a little longer. But two full time jobs, two part time ones, 8 houses and all the studying has really worn on me. Add to that endless heart ache from relationships last few years and I'm emotionally done. I want to destress and go live.

Some problems with this:

If I move to FL, TX or TN, I'll be too far to manage the properties. My best friend will move with me but he said his parents could help out. So far I've been doing ok with video tours and hiring contractors lately as a test of managing remotely. Not cheap but way cheaper than a PM. Liquidating them and moving them is risky as I may move somewhere else if I don't like it, or move back. But the properties make it very difficult to relocate since they are easier to manage locally. If I hire a PM, all my cash flow is basically gone.

Edited to add:

My real concern is managing the properties remotely. I'd like to leave them in WA for appreciation. I can live off of index funds 40K a year in a paid off house comfortably. That's really what my question comes down to. What do I do with the properties? I don't want to sell right away and move them. I might not like it at the new place after a year or two and move back or somewhere else.

I don't like the idea of doing syndications only with the money as I have no control. So far video tours and contractors are working well me not having to go to the properties. I intend to try to do that from out of state only having my best friends parents check on them when needed (since he is moving with me).

My hobby at that point will become just dating. My work will be managing my investments and properties remotely.

Also, another consideration I had was rather than putting 1 million into index funds to supplement rental income, I thought about using the 1 million to buy three paid off houses to rent out which should give me an extra 3K a month on top of 2.5K a month from existing properties. Conservatively let's say I take home 5K a month cash flow. with a paid off house, that is no problem for me to live off with plenty of buffer. Mind you I'm still making 1 mil a year off appreciation plus another nearly six figures from principal paydown.

I'd honestly feel better with real estate as I've always had terrible luck in stocks.

But if it wasn't for the rentals I'd be free to travel work and property management free....So then again index funds would give me 120K a year cash flow at 4% SWR or 90K 3% SWR. Then I never have to worry about managing rentals, which is a stressor locally but even more so 3K miles away.

I could just wait one year and hit 4 million NW or wait 2 years and hit 5 million net worth and then I'll have more options.

Last edited:
I suppose it partly depends how much you plan to spend in retirement.
I could certainly retire on $3Mil.

You need a plan. :cool:

Again, I make 1 million a year off appreciation and such when the market is good, which is most of the time...factor that in.....

Now I have three times that but life is more expensive and complicated than it was 10 years ago.

Welcome! I think you really need to take some time and decide what you want your retirement to be. You can either be a landlord of multiple properties, or you can move and explore options...not both really - unless you go with a PM for a year, forgoing that bit of income, and rent in different places before you decide on selling/moving. Travel around, put someone else in charge.

Couple of things. You are old enough to remember what happened to the RE market from 2006 until pretty recently. My home didn't reach it's pre-2006 peak until the latest covid increases started in 2020. Of course it was overpriced then and isn't now....lol

Have a look at your cash and nw assuming you keep all the properties, then again, assuming you keep only your primary. Most here do not include their primary home in their NW number, nor do they count property appreciation in expected annual income. So play around with the numbers a bit.

But either way, if you sold everything, and had $3M and no home, you'd still be reasonable able to retire as a single 40 yo. Unless you plan to start a family, in which case...eh maybe not.

You need to spend the time to figure out what you want to be now.

Welcome! remote desktop,
I have a similar background as yours. And I quit my nursing job when I felt sick of it and done done it. I can feel you are in the state too. Also, I have about your asset and your age, so keep thinking to work and save more and more. I didnt realize how big 3mil was. When I realized it, my work and now my rental is getting more sick feeling. I am at the same state like you. I dont have specific plan and I plan to relocate too so I am not sure how much I would need for the new house. What I can say, quitting my full time job was good.

My real concern is managing the properties remotely. I'd like to leave them in WA for appreciation. I can live off of index funds 40K a year in a paid off house comfortably. That's really what my question comes down to. What do I do with the properties? I don't want to sell right away and move them. I might not like it at the new place after a year or two and move back or somewhere else.

I don't like the idea of doing syndications only with the money as I have no control. So far video tours and contractors are working well me not having to go to the properties. I intend to try to do that from out of state only having my best friends parents check on them when needed (since he is moving with me).

My hobby at that point will become just dating. My work will be managing my investments and properties remotely.

Also, another consideration I had was rather than putting 1 million into index funds to supplement rental income, I thought about using the 1 million to buy three paid off houses to rent out which should give me an extra 3K a month on top of 2.5K a month from existing properties. Conservatively let's say I take home 5K a month cash flow. with a paid off house, that is no problem for me to live off with plenty of buffer. Mind you I'm still making 1 mil a year off appreciation plus another nearly six figures from principal paydown.

I'd honestly feel better with real estate as I've always had terrible luck in stocks.

But if it wasn't for the rentals I'd be free to travel work and property management free....So then again index funds would give me 120K a year cash flow at 4% SWR or 90K 3% SWR. Then I never have to worry about managing rentals, which is a stressor locally but even more so 3K miles away.

I could just wait one year and hit 4 million NW or wait 2 years and hit 5 million net worth and then I'll have more options.

OP, I will guess you have seen biggerpockets dot com?
Some of your ?'s on RE seem more up their alley.

Am I miscalculating? 3mil/40k=75yrs. so if you sell everything now, you can stay 75 yrs. but you wont live until 115yo.
my asset index fund 1.5mil, rental and primary home 1.7mil. so I am always questioning, if i want to sell the rentals for simple life. And I am not a big spencer, so I can see i can make it.

One path to misery is to have out of state rental properties.

Mine are within 2 miles from where I live.

One path to misery is to have out of state rental properties.

100% agree.

I'd go farther that anything more than a 10 minute drive away is entirely too far away to be anything but a headache.

Two miles is a good radius. Easy walking distance is even better. (But not always practical.)

100% agree.

I'd go farther that anything more than a 10 minute drive away is entirely too far away to be anything but a headache.

Two miles is a good radius. Easy walking distance is even better. (But not always practical.)

That's a bit extreme. Some of my rentals are an hour away and they've been fine. Ten minutes is a bit much....

That's a bit extreme. Some of my rentals are an hour away and they've been fine. Ten minutes is a bit much....

It's fine until a tenant calls in a blind panic about water flooding an upstairs bedroom, completely incapable of turning the water off at the street. Despite the hands on instruction you gave that tenant at move in, and giving tenant the long screwdriver necessary to facilitate turning the water off at the street.

The only way an hour could feel longer is in a hospital waiting room after something very bad happened.

.........I'd honestly feel better with real estate as I've always had terrible luck in stocks..........
Was your "terrible luck" with index funds? Many / most of us just have a balanced portfolio of index funds with stocks and bonds that is more or less on autopilot. Generally, terrible luck with index funds is due to attempted market timing.

Personally, I'd find tending to rental property to be a real stressor, but everyone has their own preferences.

It's fine until a tenant calls in a blind panic about water flooding an upstairs bedroom, completely incapable of turning the water off at the street. Despite the hands on instruction you gave that tenant at move in, and giving tenant the long screwdriver necessary to facilitate turning the water off at the street.

The only way an hour could feel longer is in a hospital waiting room after something very bad happened.

What about property management companies for handling out of town rentals -- or in town rentals for that matter?

Sure their fees would cut into the profits, but are there other major downsides in going this route?

-gauss

Personally, I'd find tending to rental property to be a real stressor, but everyone has their own preferences.

It is a major stressor but it’s the price I paid for financial freedom.

What about property management companies for handling out of town rentals -- or in town rentals for that matter?

Sure their fees would cut into the profits, but are there other major downsides in going this route?

-gauss

Property management companies are to be avoided if at all possible.

We have had a hard enough time finding a decent one for our HOA.

Property managers are worse than useless.

If your rental is going smoothly, you don't need one. If your rental has problems, you don't want one.

The manager is good at collecting checks and nothing else. If the aforementioned upstairs plumbing emergency happens at 11pm, do you think the property manager is going to drop everything and drive to your rental to shut the water off? (The tenant should remember how to do this. But many people are utterly useless under pressure.)

I've never met one who would lift anything heavier than money.

Welcome! remote desktop,
I have a similar background as yours. And I quit my nursing job when I felt sick of it and done done it. I can feel you are in the state too. Also, I have about your asset and your age, so keep thinking to work and save more and more. I didnt realize how big 3mil was. When I realized it, my work and now my rental is getting more sick feeling. I am at the same state like you. I dont have specific plan and I plan to relocate too so I am not sure how much I would need for the new house. What I can say, quitting my full time job was good.

Yeah right now I plan on coasting at my two full time jobs until they end, let one go naturally as it ends. Only reason I haven't moved yet is because I haven't decided on one of three states yet. I've traveled to a couple of them, Florida extensively, Texas once, but Tennessee I have upcoming plans to visit. Once I visit TN I'll have a better idea to visit.

A key to this is my best friend moving with me which he said he would and I asked him if he is resolute he said yes, Washington sucks. Without him I can't see myself moving and starting over. I'd have no trusted friends....

Yeah right now I plan on coasting at my two full time jobs until they end, let one go naturally as it ends. Only reason I haven't moved yet is because I haven't decided on one of three states yet. I've traveled to a couple of them, Florida extensively, Texas once, but Tennessee I have upcoming plans to visit. Once I visit TN I'll have a better idea to visit.

A key to this is my best friend moving with me which he said he would and I asked him if he is resolute he said yes, Washington sucks. Without him I can't see myself moving and starting over. I'd have no trusted friends....

Funny thing is I have been traveling for states too. WA and OR was my next state. I was looking at the same three state. FL and TN for income tax reason, and FL and TX for warm weather. But I am planning to decide about my rentals first and move. I am not considering remote management at all. Like mentioned, I am leaning to sell all, but I have obligation to pay my parent 2k/m. so when i use calculation here, i put 60k but i may be lower than 40k for myself.

Recently, I ran it again with high inflation rate, the success rate was a bit low, but I am pretty sure I can manage it since I didnt put SS etc.

I really envy you have your friend planning the journey together.

Funny thing is I have been traveling for states too. WA and OR was my next state. I was looking at the same three state. FL and TN for income tax reason, and FL and TX for warm weather. But I am planning to decide about my rentals first and move. I am not considering remote management at all. Like mentioned, I am leaning to sell all, but I have obligation to pay my parent 2k/m. so when i use calculation here, i put 60k but i may be lower than 40k for myself.

Recently, I ran it again with high inflation rate, the success rate was a bit low, but I am pretty sure I can manage it since I didnt put SS etc.

I really envy you have your friend planning the journey together.

Wow what a small world, though I will say my ex and others I know have considered the same states, they are pretty popular. Real estate is part of my long term plan so I don't ever want to get rid of it. Eventually I may 1031 it into an apartment complex near me or in the Midwest where I don't have to manage it directly. I know an organization that will have a REIT buy the houses allowing me to 1031 into a DST or apartment complex in one move. In theory...but then again I don't trust anyone else, you never know if these people are scamming. One thing I like about single family is it's hard to get scammed. You have full control. I even thought about cashing out another mil in a year possibly two and buying a bunch of paid off houses in Lubbock TX or Ocala Florida and making 10-15K a month cash flow from them while I have the appreciation play in the Seattle, WA area.

You don't have to "move" to get lower expenses - you already have.

Quit you job and keep doing everything else if you like it

Just a thought.

I would not retire with all of my wealth in one sector of the economy (RE). And your plan for buying a handful of tech stocks also sounds very risky.

I think you have more planning to do.

I would not suggest managing remotely, especially that far. I wouldn't worry about 10 minutes away, but something an hour or less is really ideal, although I do own one about two hours away. You can get better cap rates in the Southeast if you wanted to manage rentals and cash flow better plus much better eviction rules for landlords.

I'm a bit puzzled how you are getting to gain $1m/yr in net worth from rentals unless you are assuming a very high appreciation rate every year - I would not bet on that. I use 3% appreciation in my underwriting. I can't get you gaining $1m/yr with back of the envelope math unless you are assuming around 10%/yr and close to 80% LTV.

Do you not have a decent 401k account as well (didn't see that mentioned)?

Personally, I'd invest most of your cash in index funds, keep some on hand and maybe pay off one property in full to diversify your risk and cash flow profile.

Property managers are worse than useless.

If your rental is going smoothly, you don't need one. If your rental has problems, you don't want one.

The manager is good at collecting checks and nothing else. If the aforementioned upstairs plumbing emergency happens at 11pm, do you think the property manager is going to drop everything and drive to your rental to shut the water off? (The tenant should remember how to do this. But many people are utterly useless under pressure.)

I've never met one who would lift anything heavier than money.

I agree that property managers are not worth very much, especially in this day and age with Zillow, etc, but I do think you are a way too conservative with 10 minutes away - which is ironic since they basically want to eat up 25-100% of your profits depending on how levered you are. 1) This is what insurance is for 2) Who knows if your tenants in this situation will even KNOW the damage is being done or will call you right away even if they do? 3) Will still do a ton of damage in the time it takes for you to get dressed and get over there. This is why you set aside a maintenance reserve, keep your properties well maintained, and have solid insurance.

Back
Top Bottom