Are Bose Radios Worth It?

Marita40

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I would like a radio. Just a radio. A clock/radio would be nice, too. Unfortunately they seem to come in only two flavors these days: dirt cheap (ie. $10-15 on amazon); or hyper expensive ($450.+ Bose). Isn't there anything in between--good sound quality, simple?

The correlative question is, is a Bose really worth that kind of money?

I realize everyone is just doing the speaker-internet thing for radio, right?

I would like a radio. Just a radio. A clock/radio would be nice, too. Unfortunately they seem to come in only two flavors these days: dirt cheap (ie. $10-15 on amazon); or hyper expensive ($450.+ Bose). Isn't there anything in between--good sound quality, simple?

The correlative question is, is a Bose really worth that kind of money?

I realize everyone is just doing the speaker-internet thing for radio, right?

We're still going the old fashioned way with OTA AM and FM over a conventional radio, at least in the bedroom. We have an older Bose on the dresser with a FM dipole hidden behind the mirror. Sounds and works great.

When DW gave me the Bose as a gift many years ago, I struggled to hide the disappointment that she paid so much for what amounts to a AM/FM clock radio with excellent specifications and sound. Now, well over a decade of flawless performance later, I'm not so disappointed. It sounds great, has good sensitivity and selectivity, the digital readout is easy to see from the bed (auto adjusts brightness) and the remote is easy to use in the dark.

Yes, it was painfully expensive. But at least it's performed well for a long time and I expect it to go on longer........ Nevertheless, due to the high price, not sure I could make myself do another one today.....

For Internet radio in the bedroom, I use my Kindle.

"No highs, no lows, must be a Bose" has been a comment I've heard a lot.

My own ears are so bad all I need is enough noise to remind me of the song.

I can't comment on BOSE radios, but...

Most receivers include a tuner, and many can be hooked up with cable to receive many more FM stations.
Receivers come in great deal of price ranges, but you usually have to buy speakers separately, and they are usually much larger than a basic radio.

Also, try a search for "tuner" for some options.

Bose equipment sounds good but I think it is over priced. Just my two cents.

I bought JBL Pulse which is a Bluetooth speaker that I can stream anything from my iPhone to. I have apps for talk radio, Pandora for music and all of my music purchased or uploaded via iTunes. I can also listen to podcasts. So if you have a smart phone, you might consider just a speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Bose makes very good equipment and is worth a premium, but I'm not sure it's worth the usual premium being asked in the marketplace.

Don't they make those all-in-one boombox style systems any more? They used to cost about $100 and had a cd player + radio + amp + speakers. I have one in the basement and it just works.

I use an old boombox to listen to NPR. Sounds great. Everyone these days wants to be able to have an iPod dock or aux input to plug in their MP3 player or sat radio. If all you want is over the air radio, you ought to be able to find a used boombox somewhere pretty cheap. Maybe in a pawn shop? Or a garage sale, but you'd have to be lucky. A lot cheaper than Bose or the $300+ one braumeister linked to that has a bunch of features you don't seem to care about (though maybe you would once you tried it).

I just purchased my second Sangean radio (about $50 on Amazon). The first one died after more than 10 years of heavy use. Works really well. I would highly recommend Sangean.

I think the OP needs to visit a Bose store and do a direct audition to make the determination if the premium is worth the money.

You are not going to get a definitive decision otherwise since the audio experience is ultimately a subjective experience.

And what you hear in person needs to be tempered against planned usage.

For 'background' ambient musical distraction, the premium charged by Bose may not be worth the price of admission.

Yet the all in one offering may be worth the convenience.

Ears on - no other opinion will weigh as much.

We have music in different areas and have been using speakers we can stream to. Bought a half dozen or so computer speaker sets ranging from $5-$15 and have been doing comparisons between them. Hands down the most impressive set is a Boston Acoustics. Felt it outdid our Bose speakers in the livingroom. Thought well enough of them that I bought another set on Ebay, paying $50 and feeling I got a great deal.
Boston Acoustics BA745 Computer Speakers

Another recommendation for Sangean the one I have is 15 years old and still going. Very good quality for the price.

DW has 2 Bose stereos AM FM with CD player. Has had for several years and if memory serves they were about $350. Admittedly I am not much into tunes but no way would I spend that kind of money on them. IMO the sound is okay but there is no base at all. I don't know anything about other options so cannot recommend anything else.

Another recommendation for Sangean the one I have is 15 years old and still going. Very good quality for the price.

Another Sangean customer and my ATS 818 is listened to every night. Only had it for about 25 years...

I bought JBL Pulse which is a Bluetooth speaker that I can stream anything from my iPhone to. I have apps for talk radio, Pandora for music and all of my music purchased or uploaded via iTunes. I can also listen to podcasts. So if you have a smart phone, you might consider just a speaker.

I do the same, except using my laptop. Purchased a refurbished JBL Pulse for 40 bucks, and a Bluetooth dongle for 10 bucks.

Thanks. I'll look into Sangean--never heard of that brand before. Also, I may go the Craigslist boombox route. There are a few there, as well as clock/radios of the ugly hotel variety. . .

Thanks. I'll look into Sangean--never heard of that brand before. Also, I may go the Craigslist boombox route. There are a few there, as well as clock/radios of the ugly hotel variety. . .
here is one link for radios/ I have purchased a couple of radios from them.

Home | C. Crane

here is one link for radios/ I have purchased a couple of radios from them.

Home | C. Crane

I have heard many good things about Crane.

I have a Tivoli, which has great reception. Apparently, they put some quality into the tuner. The Model One is now on sale for $99 if youlike bright read. It has a very old fashioned analog dial and it also has a little light that glows brighter as you tune in the signal. Not a bad speaker either for a little thing.

Tivoli Audio - Table Radios Portable Radios Bluetooth Speakers Hi-Fi Systems iPod Players Music Systems and Networks

In Target the other day I bought a $14.95 Jensen portable radio. As it turns out I am surprisingly very happy with it--really good sound quality. I sure saved myself $$$ over the Bose, huh?

It is cute, too. All I wanted was a radio, and I got one. Life is good. :)

Last edited:
Having previously worked for Bose's Engineering dep't I can tell you that sound quality and component quality are top notch. Bose does not shortcut designs, nor quality. Every product is stringently tested before they ship, and if they fail they are destroyed (i.e. no rework, just destroyed beyond salvage).

I can't speak to the price being "worth it", but I can attest the the high quality of the products.

I like Bose products, but find them to be fairly expensive for what you get. I'd be interested in comparable products for less.

Check out thrift stores like Goodwill or St. Vinnie's. I spotted an Aiwa all-in-one stereo at a Vinnies over the weekend on sale for $30. No Craigslist flakes to deal with, either.

As for Bose, I've never been a fan of their sound or their prices.

Back
Top Bottom