Are you ready for the iHat?

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Tomorrow Apple will introduce a few new products. It is predicted that personal health devices will be a big theme during this introduction.

My best guess is that Apple will not introduce a watch since watches (also known as 'clock bracelets' by young folk) are now no longer used very much.

However, hats are becoming a real IN item. So, I believe we will see the iHat tomorrow. No doubt it will have sensors to measure things like pulse, blood pressure and temperature. Also, I imagine it will have a crude link to our brain waves, thus opening up new avenues for securing our thoughts, as well as selling us more stuff before we are conscious that we need it.

That sounds ridiculous. Next, an iPot - a toilet where you can listen to tunes, monitor your bodily functions including bowel movements.

Does one wear the ihat over or under the standard tin foil hat?

Does one wear the ihat over or under the standard tin foil hat?

No, no. The iHat will have the tin foil built right in. It will replace the tin foil hat...but have largely the same effect. The display will be projected onto the underside of the brim, so people will be walking around with their eyes rolled up looking at the brim rather than rolled down looking at the iphone in their hand. And there will be forward and backward-looking cameras on the off chance that the user wants to see where he is going while simultaneously walking and gaming. :facepalm:

My best guess is that Apple will not introduce a watch since watches (also known as 'clock bracelets' by young folk) are now no longer used very much. ...

Not saying Apple will or will not introduce a watch, but I think the re-incarnation of the watch (the smart-watch) makes a LOT of sense for today's smart-phone users.

People want big screens to see their apps, etc. But who wants to pull a big phone out of their pocket to check every text or message or notification? A smart watch can have a big enough display for basic updates (it could even show the time!), but still be small enough for your wrist.

-ERD50

Not saying Apple will or will not introduce a watch, but I think the re-incarnation of the watch (the smart-watch) makes a LOT of sense for today's smart-phone users.

People want big screens to see their apps, etc. But who wants to pull a big phone out of their pocket to check every text or message or notification? A smart watch can have a big enough display for basic updates (it could even show the time!), but still be small enough for your wrist.

-ERD50

I agree, plus it can replace a lot of the functionality of a FitBit or other health and fitness monitoring tool.

No, no. The iHat will have the tin foil built right in. It will replace the tin foil hat...but have largely the same effect. The display will be projected onto the underside of the brim, so people will be walking around with their eyes rolled up looking at the brim rather than rolled down looking at the iphone in their hand. And there will be forward and backward-looking cameras on the off chance that the user wants to see where he is going while simultaneously walking and gaming. :facepalm:

Ihat is late to the party. Skully; with heads up display, GPS, rear view 180 degree camera voice activation, etc.....

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/11/skully/

Why people want to be so connected is beyond me.

I have no desire for any wearable tech, and never will. I have a friend who has one of those bracelets that track how many steps a day you take, and he mentioned once how it's connected to his phone, and sends updates to the cloud, and blah blah blah...

I work in the IT and tech field, and I still don't get it. I even get annoyed with people texting me (I hate texting). If you want to carry on a realtime conversation with me, call me.

Why people want to be so connected is beyond me.

I have no desire for any wearable tech, and never will. I have a friend who has one of those bracelets that track how many steps a day you take, and he mentioned once how it's connected to his phone, and sends updates to the cloud, and blah blah blah...

I work in the IT and tech field, and I still don't get it. I even get annoyed with people texting me (I hate texting). If you want to carry on a realtime conversation with me, call me.

Different strokes for different folks. My DW's megacorp has given her a Fitbit-like wearable device that tracks her steps per day. She enjoys making sure that she meets her goal (and her company provides a small cash reward for doing so). It sometimes spurs her to get a little extra exercise on a day when she wouldn't otherwise have done so.

To your last point, I'd much rather text than talk. I find it annoying when people feel the need to call me instead of just texting. A live conversation, for me, is draining in a way that texting isn't. Obviously, not everyone agrees. Side question: how is your vision? If texting required one to find reading glasses, or hold your phone at arm's length, I could see how that would be annoying.

I will concede that if you're trying to coordinate plans, a live conversation is often more efficient than trading 10 texts.

I even get annoyed with people texting me (I hate texting). If you want to carry on a realtime conversation with me, call me.

I finally blocked texting. What a relief!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm afraid the trend will continue accelerating.
By this time next year, we should see the initial rumors of the impending launch of the iSuppository, which will ...

I finally blocked texting. What a relief!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I used to get up to 700 nightly(from machines) and an occasional critical one from a human, the expectation to read and act to any that required action. In spare time we were told to go find the needless ones and figure out how to get them/you off the page list. Not a good system to w*rk with.

-ERD50

I also realize the different strokes part, and yet:

First we make our phones larger so they don't fit into our pockets anymore. Then we make them even larger so you can't hold them straight anymore when talking, and frankly it's heavy to get out of your bag now.

So we create a smartwatch that talks to the phone so we don't have to get it of our pocket.

End result: a reasonably sized IPad called IPhone and a small sized phone called IWatch?

Meanwhile the call quality is still crap :facepalm:

I also realize the different strokes part, and yet:

First we make our phones larger so they don't fit into our pockets anymore. Then we make them even larger so you can't hold them straight anymore when talking, and frankly it's heavy to get out of your bag now.

So we create a smartwatch that talks to the phone so we don't have to get it of our pocket.

End result: a reasonably sized IPad called IPhone and a small sized phone called IWatch? ...

But that makes sense, doesn't it? You want a big screen for somethings, you only need a little screen for others. This technology might even have me wearing a watch (I never liked them).

I'm reminded of a Russian procedure for inventing things - called TRES, I think - it was an acronym from Russian. This guy worked in the Russian patent office, and he noticed that inventions generally had the principle of 'opposites'. And he made up a chart of 'opposites' and general ways they are resolved. This could help trigger solutions to problems.

Example - You want to carry a six-foot ruler with you, but you want to put it in your 2 foot long tool box. The opposites are it needs to be long and it needs to be short. Possible solutions: telescoping, folding, inflatable, flexible, etc.

So in this case you want a big screen for some tasks and you want it to be small for other tasks - solution, an extension screen that is small that 'talks' to the big screen.

I think it is a good idea, if implemented well. I see they have an Apple Pay system too - I sure hope that if this is good and secure, that they have an Android version.

Meanwhile the call quality is still crap :facepalm:

Well, there is that! :LOL:

-ERD50

Next up the isuppository.

I bought a good analog watch last year that is in no danger of being replaced. I'm using an iPhone 5s that is fine.

I took a look at the iWatch ad. I like the concept. Do I need one? No.

Strangely, I was thinking about it this morning.
I was on my way to the grocery store when I suddenly felt a vibration in my pocket. It was DW texting me to buy something there.

Of course I didn't know that until I had parked the car and taken the phone out of my pocket, so I thought to myself how nice it would have been to be able to just glance at my wrist to get the message while driving.

A tiny thing, but I can see how it will be seductive to millions.

I don't have any plans to get one (at least version 1.0) but it seems to be a very well designed gadget.

Looks like I'll have to glue the Apple watch to the inside of my Bowler.

That way you can check your email when you doff your hat...;)

The watch looks pretty good, but I don't plan on buying one.

Back
Top Bottom