ARGH - basketball next doors

I dont have kids but if someone would be upset with my child playing basketball with his friends I would also deliver a big F U.

The kids a junior in hs...he'll be gone in 2 years. Does it get cold where you are? Winter will stop the basketball outings. Just deal with it for 3 or 4 months. That or go work somewhere else in the house for the couple hours the kids are playing.

Its funny how people complain about kids worshiping screens, facebook, social media, etc etc...then they complain when they're outside getting some exercise in/playing sports. What a messed up time we live in.

#firstworldproblems

I had a neighbor across the two fairways who freaked out on a golfer when a ball hit her house - again, what did you expect, lady?? San Diego has a premium on space, not having neighbors behind you is worth the occasional golf course interaction. And the views are awesome.

She just sold her home last month, I guess she finally figured out it wasn't the life for her.

I believe golfers are responsible for damages if they hit a home. In her eyes its probably happened a bunch of times and shes not around to bust the person. Most people would never report it unless someone saw them. I agree with this woman...and this is coming from a golfer.

My noise complaint is crows! Our neighborhood was built in the late 70s and at the time, builders didn't have the need to moonscape the entire neighborhood, so it is full of many, many large, old trees. It's very nice as the wildlife is abundant and it is really an oasis in the ATL 'burbs. But...not too far from us, a large tract is being developed (a little over 50 acres) and the developer has taken down all but two trees. This has resulted in a very large clearing that the crows love to forage in. Accordingly, for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening, we get to listen to hundreds of crows that hang out in the trees around us. It's absolutely the most annoying wildlife sound I have ever dealt with.

I had a similar problem with crows last spring/summer, so I decided to try some "non-lethal dispersion" tactics. I have a couple of very tall pines at the back edge of my property line, and the crows just loved gathering there several times each week to have long, raucous conversations -- invariably at times when I was trying to take a nap or wanted some peace and quiet. :facepalm:

My solution was to buy some garden-variety bottle rockets and simply launch one of those babies into the air above those pines when the crow convention was in full swing. The loud bang of the explosion would send every single crow flapping away in a panic, and they would all fly off to another group of tall trees much further away. This worked every single time, and crows are extremely smart birds, so they quickly learned that those trees were simply not a good gathering spot for their obnoxiously loud meetings. I generally like having birds and other wildlife in and around my yard, but those crows... I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed launching those bottle rockets. :D

I went through the basketball hoop and drumset phase with my neighbors. It only lasted a few years. They are lovely neighbors and the two boys are now adults who always say hi to me when they stop by to visit. Yes, it was annoying, but it passes and I appreciate having a good relationship with my neighbors.

Now I had a drug house on the other side of me for a couple of years. I would take the basketball hoop any day. The drug house was awful and there was nothing the police could do. After going through that experience I really appreciate nice neighbors even if there are sometimes inconveniences. It's ok to vent, but I'd try to make peace with it.

Now I feed my crows. I am glad that my neighbors don't seem to mind. I think about when I was a kid and had a pogo stick which after the first couple of days would make an awful loud squeaking noise. My neighbors were tolerant of the neighbor kid back then, but it must have been really awful for them.

I heard some more racket coming from the dining room today (even louder than before). This time, it was a hawk throwing itself against the sliding glass door. I know you don't believe me (and rightfully so), so I snapped some photos. They didn't come out too well - too much glare from the door glass, and there are vertical blinds hanging down. Nevertheless, hopefully you can see the bird. I suspect that it's a juvenile Cooper's Hawk, but since I'm not a pro birder I could be mistaken. :greetings10:

Attachments

• hawk at door #1.jpg
    hawk at door #1.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 21
  • hawk at door #2.jpg
    hawk at door #2.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Never heard of a hawk doing that before!

Still, there must be a reason behind the word "birdbrain." :LOL:

Awesome photos.

I have had some photo experiences in the past where I didn't have a camera. A couple where I did have a camera and got caught up in the moment and didn't take the opportunity.

I believe golfers are responsible for damages if they hit a home. In her eyes its probably happened a bunch of times and shes not around to bust the person. Most people would never report it unless someone saw them. I agree with this woman...and this is coming from a golfer.

The facts are on her/your side, definitely, but the reality of the situation is unlikely to change, golfers race past and take a drop rather than admit to breaking a window. My point is more along the lines of the serenity prayer...yadda yadda accepting the things we cannot change. I live 100 yards short of the green on a par 5 with a dog leg, yet people to still occasionally put one in my yard. In 8 years we've had three broken windows and a broken side yard light (!) during that time. I've had the broken windows replaced with thicker, double lifetime warranty windows guaranteed to just bounce the golf ball off and moved on. You definitely want to pick your location on the golf course, though. 100-200 yards off the tee box is not ideal! Those houses (including hers) have two story net/fences on two sides of their property line.

The facts are on her/your side, definitely, but the reality of the situation is unlikely to change, golfers race past and take a drop rather than admit to breaking a window. My point is more along the lines of the serenity prayer...yadda yadda accepting the things we cannot change. I live 100 yards short of the green on a par 5 with a dog leg, yet people to still occasionally put one in my yard. In 8 years we've had three broken windows and a broken side yard light (!) during that time. I've had the broken windows replaced with thicker, double lifetime warranty windows guaranteed to just bounce the golf ball off and moved on. You definitely want to pick your location on the golf course, though. 100-200 yards off the tee box is not ideal! Those houses (including hers) have two story net/fences on two sides of their property line.

Eight years and how few broken anything! Imagine how many golfers having no idea where the ball is going! You're on the fairway, right? Where's the ball going to go? Serenity prayer or not, many amateurs can'thit a golf ball straight to save their precious bits.

If I see water on a golf course my ball is going straight in it! A buddy hits the sand, if a person got it in the head that house's were an issue where would the ball go?

My parents retirement home was on a course. Thirty plus years and never an issue. Of course the house was on the 13th tee box. Probably your point.

I guess all states are different... but I think I read that if you house is adjacent to a golf course then it is a known hazard and the golfer is not responsible.... now, if it is a house 'two' over, that might be different....

I am surprised so many people have glass on a golf course... my friends mom and step dad had plexiglass for windows... at least on the course side... whoever did the house was also smart and put the garage on the tee side so it would get most of the abuse... it was pretty far back compared to the house...

You definitely want to pick your location on the golf course, though. 100-200 yards off the tee box is not ideal! Those houses (including hers) have two story net/fences on two sides of their property line.

I doubt I would ever buy a home on a golf course and if I did it would be at a location that would have no chance of getting hit by a stray ball, 40 yards offline is nothing, I've seen and done worse. Especially stay away from a home that is on the right side of a fairway. Most golfers are right handed and the bad golfers miss is ~90% to the right.

I guess all states are different... but I think I read that if you house is adjacent to a golf course then it is a known hazard and the golfer is not responsible.... now, if it is a house 'two' over, that might be different....

A course around here had to change a 530 par 5 into a 280 par 4 because of issues with golf balls hitting a house on tee shots. I believe that the homeowners "won" the battle because their house was there before the golf course was built. Conversely, I would think that people who buy houses that were built on an already existing golf course have given "implied consent" as they knew or should have known full well what they getting.

If I was buying a house on a golf course, I'd choose carefully...never buy a house 200 yards away from a tee box or near a green if you don't want stray balls coming at you.

I have a woodpecker who is determined to drill a hole into my metal gutter down sprout. Sounds like a jack hammer from inside the house. He is determined, keeps coming back, but the last I checked I couldn't even see a scratch on the gutter. Luckily I'm an early riser because he usually shows up as soon as the sun comes up.

I have two sets of peckerheads that are going after all of my vent covers and any metal stripping. Today it was 6:00 a.m. My neighbor is ex military and is now on sniper watch.

In regards to dogs one of the main reasons I moved was four houses of "yappers" all day long. One day put a note on one of the front doors that next step would be the city noise people and it stopped the next day.

I remember when I was a kid playing basketball on our property and the "old" next door neighbor complained about the noise. One day he came over to speak to my father who quietly and politely listened. At the end the "old guy" asked him "what are you going to do about it". My father said "nothing" but he will try and limit any play after 11:00pm.

I never want to be "that old guy".

Back
Top Bottom