Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Wonderful idea for a thread (and 'captivates' is a good choice - versus just 'like')! A number of my favorites have been covered already, like some other Chicago area people, most of my familiarity with artwork comes from the exhibits at the Art Institute of Chicago.

Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm with Ronstar. Nighthawks is haunting. American Gothic, meh.
Yes, Nighthawks is captivating, loved it from when I was a kid, still do, and it is unexplainable. The scene was recently recreated for a commercial, with actors singing the parts (Jennifer Hudson, a Chicago talent from American Idol and 'Dream Girls' sang the lead in it), pretty cool, IMO. << shortened so that it doesn't fill the thread with a youtube video - click to see the commercial

American Gothic - yes, it's kind of bland in a way, yet, I (and many others apparently) do find it strangely captivating. Just something about the juxtaposition of that couple and the window.

Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
But two examples that have always intrigued me where art meets technique in ways I can't comprehend:

Sunday in the Park - a beautiful very large piece. What intrigues me is the technique, pointallism, what you see standing back and what you see close up. I can't understand how Seurat did it! ...
Yep, that's always a 'must see' for every visit, and I always find myself spending some time in front of it, and walking around it, just taking it all in.

Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Then, let me offer one more as well. I love the ballerinas of Degas, whose flexibility seems nearly infinite as does their depth of focus on the dance.
Yes, the Art Institute has such an amazing collection of impressionists, including the Degas ballerinas, I could fill the thread with them (the Monet haystacks, and on and on). I'll give a link, and then one of my favs - every time I see this from Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, I just imagine myself walking into the Moulin Rouge and sitting down and having a drink with this group:

And amble though the collection...

Search Collection Results | The Art Institute of Chicago

OK, one more impressionist fav:

And two more that captivate me (viewed up close, you can see that Picasso painted the guitarist over another painting):

OK, I have to stop!!!

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
OK, not really a favorite, but always 'captivating':

Gustave Caillebotte
French, 1848-1894

Calf's Head and Ox Tongue, c. 1882

Oil on canvas
73 x 54 cm (29 x 21 in.)

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Absolutely spot on! The companion piece of "Pinky" is just as large. DW has a friend who had small copies of both in her bedroom. When I took her to see the originals, she was blown away at the size!

My sister had a drug store reproduction of pinky when we were kids. One of my brothers sharpied a snidley whiplash moustache on it

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
mh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
I just returned from a vacation in which I visited the Barnes Foundation, MOMA, and the Met.

I am, frankly, still processing the Barnes collection. To sit in a room no larger than my bedroom and be surrounded by 50 paintings - 20 of them by Matisse - was something that will stay with me a long time.

In a lifetime of loving art, the one that always staggers me is a Vermeer, Woman holding a balance.
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The statue of Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial and Mr. Bean as Mona Lisa. There are just too many.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Pagent of the Masters
Old 04-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
Pagent of the Masters

Every year Laguna Beach CA puts on this show, with local people in the sets. They developed a system of flat lighting that really makes each scene look like a painting or statue.
It is ninety minutes of “living pictures” – incredibly faithful art re-creations of classical and contemporary works with real people posing to look exactly like their counterparts in the original pieces.
Retired Jan 2009 Have not looked back.
AA 95%/0/5
WR 2% SI 2SS & 2 Pensions
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #27
For me, the "favorite" consists of two parts. First, the painting, but intensified by learning the sad romantic story behind the painting, and then doubled up by the wonderful rendition of the story by Loreena McKennitt.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady_of_shalott.jpg (245.1 KB, 9 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
I interrupt this interesting art lesson for a book recommendation. I recently read "Priceless" by Robert Wittman. It's a true story of some of the stolen artwork that Wittman recovered during his career as an FBI agent.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
Anything by Winslow Homer-as a watercolorist, I particularly like his watercolors.
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #30
Philadelphia Museum of Art - Exhibitions - Picasso and the Avant-Garde in Paris

Still time to catch Picasso and the Avant-Garde in Paris.

Three Musicians is one of my favorites.

By Pablo Picasso - artobserved, PD-US,

target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote