Join Early Retirement Today

Asphalt Driveway - metal edge?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Time for a complete tear-out of our asphalt (black-top) driveway. Our house sits near the back of a rectangular 1 acre lot, so the driveway is long. This is a big job.

I'm really interested in a metal (or other) edging. It seems that asphalt driveways crumble at the edges, with grass/weeds growing in and doing further damage over time. One place I got a quote from mentioned that the real advantage is that they run the compactor right over the edge, and w/o the edging, the edge isn't as compact and solid.

The second place I got a quote from kind of talked down metal edging, saying it lifts in the frost and they end up tearing it out for people. I'm having trouble finding anything useful on the internet.

Any experience? And this is in N IL, so winter and summer weather, and I hire someone to plow with a truck.

-ERD50

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't do edging. I have some spots where my 20+ yo asphalt has crumbled along the edges, but I think a rusty metal edge would be more of a headache.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My sister, also N. IL, had a concrete edge put in. It generally works OK, although in some parts the asphalt kind of subsided next to the concrete collar.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #4

I've seen people use stone in conjunction with concrete..that looks nice. as for asphalt..mine crumbles without edging...and i constantly hand pick weeds on the edges and then re-seed and water. Would be nice to eliminate all that and the repaving with concrete + stone edging. figure repaving every five years to fix crumbles is cheaper than the stone but doesn't look as nice IMHO.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
how about putting the gravel 4 inches past the driveway and then edge with paving stones ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think I've ever seen metal edged asphalt, so I would be leery. It seems like it would be somewhat similar to butting asphalt into a concrete curb, which is done almost everywhere. What kind of metal? Corrosion could be an issue, so beware. I would think the asphalt would deform in the freeze/thaw cycles IF the metal was substantial/heavy enough, like a chunk of concrete curbing. If they skimp on the metal, yes, it could be the weaker side and it deforms/lifts.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I have not got a quote for other edging, but I'm pretty sure concrete or pavers/blocks set in concrete is going to be crazy expensive.

I did say this is a long driveway, about 190' from road to coming up and around the parking apron. So about 400' of edging. $2500 to add the metal from one place, but I need to call them and get details on the product, I didn't find it with the name they used. But they did say it was aluminum.

-ERD50
Old 07-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've never seen metal edged asphalt. In our prior home we did have metal edging that was used for the brick walkway.... it was ~3/16" thick and 4" wide and installed on edge.... it would typically heave up every winter and I would just tap it back down in the spring with a sledge hammer. Fine for say, 100' of walkway edging, but for 400' it might be a bit more of a chore (like 4 times at least). It was also starting to rust some

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't have experience with your situation but it seems to me metal edging could always be removed at some point down the road if you either didn't love it or it started getting rusty and ugly. In the meantime it might have done its job in terms of managing the sides to be more solid.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #10

I would ask for advice from the guys that install brick paver driveways. Those pavers generally use a plastic barrier edge that might be suitable for use with asphalt too and maybe fewer issues with corrosion and thermal expansion. I got quotes for a patio and the estimator highly advised 12 in galvanized spikes instead of the 8 in plastic spikes that come with the edging. The plastic edging alone is 1.25/ft.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I would ask for advice from the guys that install brick paver driveways. Those pavers generally use a plastic barrier edge that might be suitable for use with asphalt too and maybe fewer issues with corrosion and thermal expansion. I got quotes for a patio and the estimator highly advised 12 in galvanized spikes instead of the 8 in plastic spikes that come with the edging. The plastic edging alone is 1.25/ft.

I've seen where regular steel spikes are recommended. They rust below the plastic edging making it tougher for the spikes to heave up through the holes in the edging.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I think I will do that. We had a paver/block patio put in years ago, and they used that plastic edging and spikes. It's held up well, little/no frost heaving. I think the only place I had any issue at all is where we have some bushes, and the soil got exposed so there really wasn't any backing to the plastic barrier - not really the barrier's fault.

Hmmm, thinking about why the asphalt people don't talk about that, and I realize asphalt is poured HOT, and stays HOT a long time (hours?). I bet that plastic can't take the heat?

-ERD50
Old 07-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #13

I just put in two parking lots. Make sure you have 3" asphalt, and the edges will be fine.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I've seen where regular steel spikes are recommended. They rust below the plastic edging making it tougher for the spikes to heave up through the holes in the edging.

I've seen that too even with galvanized but I think regular steel will disintegrate but the galvanized swells up. Of course it will eventually disintegrate as well so maybe alternate with the plastic spikes.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think I will do that. We had a paver/block patio put in years ago, and they used that plastic edging and spikes. It's held up well, little/no frost heaving. I think the only place I had any issue at all is where we have some bushes, and the soil got exposed so there really wasn't any backing to the plastic barrier - not really the barrier's fault.

Hmmm, thinking about why the asphalt people don't talk about that, and I realize asphalt is poured HOT, and stays HOT a long time (hours?). I bet that plastic can't take the heat?

-ERD50

You're probably right about the heat. I think Senator has the best answer. Older driveway probably has a good base and won't have as many issues.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe this....

https://allaboutdriveways.com/asphal...asphalt-edges/
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Why not a gravel driveway and just pave, or pour concrete for the parking section, but have the 190' driveway some type of gravel ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think there is an affordable plastic tough enough to hold up to the heat and vibration that goes into placing Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA). I'd be very suspicious of steel edges, any edges durable enough to hold up during the placement would likely be expensive and act as a heat sink. And if HMA gets cold too quickly, it won't set Right.

Do you know if your driveway is on improved sub base? My experience is only paving highway and city streets and we always place HMA on 4-8" of compacted crushed rock for drainage. Crushed rock on the edge of a shoulder keeps the weeds away, and shoulder edges rarely get driven on. we always cast against a concrete curb and gutter on city streets so you can compact all the way to the edge.

I think concrete curb on both sides would look nicer. Your cheapest option is probably to widen the driveway with crushed rock (like a highway shoulder) and stay away from the edges, especially on hot days.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
+1

We have our driveway redone several years ago. The edges so far are fine. They tapered them and then I added crushed rock where the edges were above the soil, particular in areas where the cars tended to drive off of the driveway onto the grass. So far it has worked well.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
I don't think there is an affordable plastic tough enough to hold up to the heat and vibration that goes into placing Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA). I'd be very suspicious of steel edges, any edges durable enough to hold up during the placement would likely be expensive and act as a heat sink. And if HMA gets cold too quickly, it won't set Right.

Do you know if your driveway is on improved sub base? My experience is only paving highway and city streets and we always place HMA on 4-8" of compacted crushed rock for drainage. Crushed rock on the edge of a shoulder keeps the weeds away, and shoulder edges rarely get driven on. we always cast against a concrete curb and gutter on city streets so you can compact all the way to the edge.

I think concrete curb on both sides would look nicer. Your cheapest option is probably to widen the driveway with crushed rock (like a highway shoulder) and stay away from the edges, especially on hot days.

+1

SonofCohoes is online now   Reply With Quote