Asphalt Driveway - metal edge?

I have never seen edging around here. One of my neighbors has a paved driveway and it looks great.

Sure-loc Edging - Steel Edging

If you're going the edging route use this stuff in the 5" variety. I think it's a waste of money but what the hey.

Aluminum edging will rise with freeze thaw cycles but the steel kind of anchors itself when it rusts.

Plows will destroy both types of edging in short order.

Oh and make sure the base is about 8-10" wider on each side of than the blacktop edge.

Last edited:

Oh and make sure the base is about 8-10" wider on each side of than the blacktop edge.

I need to check on that. I don't see any comments on either quote about extending the base beyond the asphalt itself, this may be implied, but I will ask. Didn't see much mention of it at that linked site.

Here's a quick sketch of what that would be like, along with my idea of crushed rock and plastic barrier along the edge.

-ERD50

Attachments

• More drawings - base-edging.png
    More drawings - base-edging.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 14
I just checked and there is a lot of discussion on precast driveway edging. A nearby subdivision did not install traditional concrete curbs but precast pieces along the side of the street. The curbing pieces did not fit together but you can buy precast pieces that do interlock.

Hmmm, found these at Home Depot, < $1/foot. I may discuss with paving company. Somehoe, I think I'd have trouble getting these installed and co-ordinated with the paving so the asphalt is compacted against them, but I'll ask.

Edgestone 12 in. x 4 in. Tan Concrete Edger-14200520 - The Home Depot

4574c4e8-f504-4614-974a-daca6061811b_1000.jpg

-ERD50

Not sure if this would help here, but years ago I lived on a gravel road and the ends of the asphalt driveways tended to get damaged by the road maintenance equipment. My asphalt contractor suggested that he dig a trough at the end and fill it with asphalt so the last 6 to 12" was extra thick, below the ground level.. It worked for the 8 years that I lived there.

Back
Top Bottom