At what age is a person considered old?

But seriously, old is when you smell old. You know what I'm talking about! Old people smell different. Old wimmen smell like pee and too much talcum powder and old men smell like stale cigars and a slight sour sweat.

Hmmm, I'll check DW when she gets back from the gym. At her age of 71, I don't remember her smelling like that...but maybe my sense of smell was taken when I had my hip replaced a few years ago?

DW's daughter recently said that the 4 year old granddaughter informed her that her grandfather (DW's ex, who is ~ 9 years younger than me) and the lady with whom he lives are "Old"......granddaughter then went on to specify that DW & I were "Not old".

(As is said.....you're only young once, but you can be immature forever.)

A person is considered old when they are addressed as 'sir'. When you describe some activity recently engaged in and someone says, "Well good for YOU!" (As if you just finished your peas and didn't spill too much on your shirt) Recently for me, it was with a physical therapist who said that when I told her I teach skiing part time and race off road motorcycles in the off season. "Well good for you!" She said.

Bah!

I know what you mean. A couple of months ago I had some physical therapy for an injury, and I took in a copy of the workout I do at the gym every other day. He looks that over and says "You're in pretty good shape" and I'm feeling like all those workouts are paying off. But then he had to throw in the qualifier "For a man your age".

Grrrrr!:mad:

You are old when; you're driving 40 in a 60 MPH zone for no apparent reason, traffic backed up behind you, oblivious to it, without a care in the world.:)

Last edited:
I know what you mean. A couple of months ago I had some physical therapy for an injury, and I took in a copy of the workout I do at the gym every other day. He looks that over and says "You're in pretty good shape" and I'm feeling like all those workouts are paying off. But then he had to throw in the qualifier "For a man your age".

Grrrrr!:mad:
History is full of men that had amazing capabilities and are no more. For instance, there was Gaius Marius who was a first man of Rome back around 100 B.C. I'm sure back then he had times when he was "Grrrr'ing" too. Especially when being upstaged by the next upcoming guy (Sulla). :)

So I'm trying to get comfortable with aging. Just trying to do it gracefully is a challenge ... but worth it.

Last edited:
I am old. It took a long, long time and much hard work for me to get this old, so I'm going to celebrate the fact.

"Old" is the person you'd give up your seat for on a train ;)

It seems that nearly everyone agrees that there is no particular age that qualifies as old. Individual differences rule.

Kind of like asking what level of power would qualify someone to be labeled as either "strong" or "weak".

Old is when your gravestone has worn away any legible names or dates and there are few if any people that have a memory of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

When watching the Academy Awards, you find yourself frequently saying, "Who"?

Last edited:
haha Today I was talking to a group of HS girls and told them that my son graduated from the same HS in 2009. One of the girls asked another girl who my son was and the girl replied that they didn't know him because he was old.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'll consider my myself old when women stop flirting with me. :D

(Ducking and weaving as I type this since DW is watching... OW! OW! OW!)

I think it is about your capabilities and how you feel, not a number.

"Old" is the person you'd give up your seat for on a train ;)

Tried to give my seat to an older gentleman on a bus last month. When he refused I noticed he was about ten years younger than me.

I'll answer OP with 80.

The first time a teenage cashier call you Sir! Without giving you a second glance.

Well, Methuselah lived 900 years, according to Pearl Bailey.

Ha

I'll consider my myself old when women stop flirting with me. :D

(Ducking and weaving as I type this since DW is watching... OW! OW! OW!)

Gee, I guess I have been old for quite a long time already:)

I don't think of myself as old (being 59) but I have been given senior discount several times already.

Four or five years ago I took a hands on self defense course that involved wrestling on the ground (found out I have no chance of surviving if attacked). After one of my scenarios, I overhead a cop from NY mentioning "elderly gentleman versus young attacker". I looked around for the elderly gentleman and realized that it was me.

Now that I have finally pulled the trigger on FIRE, I am hoping that the better lifestyle, eating and exercise will make me younger. I think it will.

I don't know, but I hope I die before I get there.

"Talking 'bout my generation."

You May Be Getting Old If…

You’re asleep, but others worry that you’re dead.
Your back goes out more than you do.
You quit trying to hold your stomach in, no matter who walks into the room.
You are proud of your lawn mower.
Your best friend is dating someone half their age…and isn’t breaking any laws.
Your arms are almost too short to read the newspaper.
You would rather go to work than stay home sick.
You enjoy hearing about other people’s operations.
You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.
People call at 9 pm and ask, “Did i wake you?”
The end of your tie doesn’t come anywhere near the top of your pants.
You wear black socks with sandals.
Your ears are hairier than your head.
You get into a heated argument about pension plans.

Courtesy boomerjokes.com

Back
Top Bottom