Attn: Hormel Meat scam

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
4 times I have purchased a Hormel pork butt to cook in a crock pot. 4 times I have had a crock pot cooking for, say, 5 hours--and water from the meat goes to the top of the crock pot.
What does this mean? It means Hormel is adding water to their pork butts, which are rolled, held together with string and then sealed in a tough plastic and sold to you. Now you get to pay extra for their water, hence, you pay more money for the pork butt.
Same thing happened with the Hormel spareribs: I also had to dig thru a number of Hormel sparerib packs--also wrapped in this tough plastic--to find one that didn't have so much water in it.
Seems like Hormel needs to make their products weight more, so you can pay more.:nonono:

I noticed the phrase "water added" or "added water" when I was looking a Hams at the local Kroger and/or Giant-Eagle Groceries here in Central Ohio. May be a Ohio specific law that they have to label them that way. The heavy wrap is so the hams do not "lose their water" or "dry out" (and lose weight). Of course they all sell "by weight". Slick marketing.

I read somewhere this is also common with frozen lobster tails if they originate from warm water locations. They inject water between the shell and meat, supposedly to protect it during storage, but it adds 20% to the weight.

A lot of meat products seem to have water or broth added these days. I find it increasingly difficult to buy poultry products that haven't been "spiked". I think the idea is to keep the meat moist and of course sell water-logged products at a premium.

I wish they would stop messing with mother nature's bounty.

The only meat I buy from WalMart is their Purdue roast chickens. They put a whitish piece of (what looks like) baby diaper at the bottom, which is always soggy, too. What a rip-off. It's the same trick only executed in a different style.

Back
Top Bottom