Babymania

I never heard of this before (but then I never heard of a push present or a "sip and see" gathering until three years ago), but recently someone told me all newborn babies initially look more like the father so that the father will know the baby is his and therefore bond more. I have a hard time believing that, otherwise all those Jerry Springer are-you-the-father shows would not be necessary.

I must lack the software for this level of recognition. Newborn and young babies never look like anyone in particular as far as I can tell. It seems that they need to be several months old before I can discern a likeness to the parent or other relatives.

We are a product of a million+ years of evolution in small mostly kin-based social groups. In these circumstances other clan members' babies as well as your own represented the survival of the group, not some supposed brats down the street that you wish you didn't know.

Ha

True, I guess I didn't think of it that way. I totally expected my mother, MIL, etc. to go ga-ga over the baby (which they did), but I never expected a couple of DH's blue-collar co-workers to want to stop by. It was kind of sweet.

Nope, not even close. They are held in the daytime and don't serve nearly enough alcohol to be able to tolerate the amount of oohing and aahing that is required.

I have never been to a female baby shower. But our little group of home brewers held one last week for the son of one our group members. Held at night and we had more than enough alcohol. Everyone brought a package of diapers for the father to be. There was a lot of oohing and aahing going on - but only over the taste of the peanut butter porter or other concoctions.

Best baby shower I went to was for a friend who was adopting from China. Lots of booze - even for the expecting mom. LOL. Dad's were there too.

Most baby showers are boring.

I'm a reformed baby doctor. I've been to two or three baby showers, and I found them totally cringeworthy. :hide:

I guess that I had a traditional baby shower for my first child and a Sip and See for my second child, although I had to look up Sip and See myself. My baby shower was at work after the work day was done for my son and he was born the next morning. I had my daughter 10 1/2 yrs later and it was supposed to be at work also, but she came early, so my friend who lived next door, had a Sip and See and I brought my daughter.

I have been to baby showers where I had a lot of fun and I have also been to ones that were extremely boring. Just depends on the people who were there. Same thing applies to other types of parties, dinners etc.

Even though I love babies, I am not too in love with the "baby shower". I have a huge extended family and we always do some kind of "craft" for the baby (ugh). We also play games which are not always fun. One of the recent ones I attended was pretty competitive. We had a relay blind-folded diaper changing contest (with dolls ;). Such fun! ;)

I should add...my three babies (now 9, 11, 12) came to me from Guatemala thru adoption. My oldest was the youngest homecoming at seven months. My family waited to have the shower until after he came home. I treasure the pictures from that day!!! Oh how cute my chubby little guy was!

Last edited:
Our first daughter came premature at 6+ months. We did not know it was going to be a girl. Our other siblings (wife's and mine) had a string of boy babies and ours was the first girl. We were not ready for the early birth and had not picked out a name.

So at the hospital, we made a decision to name our daughter after both grandmothers as they had no granddaughters as of yet. So we named her Angela Rose (Angela after my mother and Rose after DW's mother)

Boy you should have seen the gift giving after we pulled that off!:D

Aja...love your daughter's name! I gotta quit reading this baby thread or I might find myself wanting another one...that might put a damper on our early retirement plans :D

Baby rabies. Oh, yeah, I've seen that. Scary as hell.
Fortunately I'm in that blissful age range at the moment where there are few babies. But my penchant for befriending millennials means it is inevitable another round of the rabies is due sometime soon.
I've never wanted to hold babies, make small talk about them, or select from a wall of pacifiers a present for them.
And DON'T GET ME STARTED on toddler breastfeeding. Gross-out city.

I held a baby ~50 years ago...didn't like it.

Back
Top Bottom