Covid Getting Closer to Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link, JDPascale - an informative video.

+1 Before I would consider socializing in an enclosed environment when so many people are unconcerned about the health of others I would want to see a room size ceiling lab hood exhaust installed that has a high air volume turn over rate. :D

Cheers!

This attitude is outdated....even if you are vaxxed and boosted you can get Covid and pass it along.

From the beginning the idea was always to get vaccinated to protect yourself and some people turned it into an "I'm better then you are debate" "I care more then you do" situation.

Reactions: W2R
I think some people are introverted to the extreme so the virus is a good excuse to not have to socialize. I was so happy when the vaccine came out and I could resume my normal life.

I think some people are introverted to the extreme so the virus is a good excuse to not have to socialize. I was so happy when the vaccine came out and I could resume my normal life.

Me too--but i can't really resume a normal life since DH is immune compromised. I am doing more things but nowhere near the normal extroverted life I use to have.

That's kind of concerning if they got reinfected in less than 2 months.

Or maybe they never fully cleared the virus and it's flaring up again.

Were both times mild?

Maybe in December it was Delta and now it's Omicron.

Both times were mild.

I talked to her today and she said that she is tired and has a headache. Her DH has a cough, but she doesn't. They are both 73 years old.

I am so sorry to read about the people who have had friends die. Also, hoping that everyone recovers quickly that have it.

Agreed. It's probably too soon to say how many long haul sufferers there will be from Omicron, but presuming it will be the same as the more harsh earlier variants, although expedient, probably isn't the best estimate. Also, there seems to be merit in the idea to get the inevitable infection sooner after a vaccination, while there are fresh antibodies. That is, if the idea of avoiding it forever is off the table.

There wold be merit if you're guaranteed to get a mild case and that the resulting immunity boost is strong and it lasts a long time.

But if people are getting reinfected in a few months, then you're risking severe case and long-term issues for not much a benefit as you might hope for.

^Nothing in life is guaranteed. The severity statistics of just Omicron don't look nearly as bad as the earlier variants. Certainly people who have had only vaccines are catching Omicron, but only the smallest fraction get hospitalized. Of course a lot of people times that small fraction is a big number, but it's dropping off nicely.

If you are suggesting that recovery from Omicron will leave you open to future disease, I suppose that's possible, but I'd suspect severe disease would be avoided for many years, if Sars1 and Mers can be used as an example.

I would not be as concerned about my DH (with autoimmune disease) coming down with Covid if some of the treatments (like antiviral pills, antibody infusions) were available. But when my 90 year old mother came down with Covid I tried and her doctor's office tried and we could not find any treatment for her (it has been over a month and she is still not fully well). Has anybody had any success in finding the antiviral pill or the antibody infusion for Omicron and how were you able to find it?

Has anybody had any success in finding the antiviral pill or the antibody infusion for Omicron and how were you able to find it?
We are still doing the monoclonal antibody (MAB) therapy and are now prescribing the pill (haven't done so personally yet but my colleagues have). I believe our place is one of the top MAB providers in the state so we've been able to have a steady supply.

^ The treatment options are hard to find. And apparently Sotrovimab doesn't work against Omicron B.2. This thing is a moving target!

We are still doing the monoclonal antibody (MAB) therapy and are now prescribing the pill (haven't done so personally yet but my colleagues have). I believe our place is one of the top MAB providers in the state so we've been able to have a steady supply.

Steve, I wish I could have gotten my mother to you. My mother's doctor was willing to prescribe the antiviral pill but we could not locate any anywhere. I probably contacted 25 pharmacies.

Thanks Steve, In my mother's town the website shows 1 pharmacy with the antiviral pill--the Walgreens. When I called a month ago the Walgreens said they were all out and could not give me any idea when they would get more. Maybe availability is opening up some now.
It's definitely a dynamic situation. The site shows how many doses each place has (I don't know how often that gets updated). It's at least the best starting point that I know of for anyone searching for the drugs.

Lot of the Merck pills which aren't as in demand as the Paxlovid.

I know they only prescribe Paxlovid to immune-compromised and those likely to be vulnerable to severe disease.

Will they prescribe more broadly once supplies are improved?

I know they only prescribe Paxlovid to immune-compromised and those likely to be vulnerable to severe disease.

Will they prescribe more broadly once supplies are improved?
That depends on if the FDA changes the indications. Right now it only has emergency use authorization for patients at high risk for progressing to severe disease, hospitalization, or death. Same for monoclonal antibodies.

If/when those therapy options get full FDA approval, then they can be prescribed more broadly.

Interesting, because people were talking about stockpiling a course of Paxlovid just in case.

I would imagine by the time it gets fully approved and more people get prescribed, they will be paying out of pocket.

Hope resistance doesn't become an issue after it's been used widely for awhile.

people were talking about stockpiling a course of Paxlovid just in case.
How would anyone do that? You would have to have COVID, be a candidate for treatment, get the medicine prescribed for you, and then not take it. What purpose would that serve?

Unless you could find a doctor unethical enough to prescribe it for you illegally when you aren't actually sick. I'm sure there are some out there like that unfortunately.

Harlee, it’s a completely different story if someone is immune compromised. I wouldn’t be going out if I or someone I lived with was. I also would be very depressed if I was staying home. Such a dilemma for people in this situation.

How would anyone do that? You would have to have COVID, be a candidate for treatment, get the medicine prescribed for you, and then not take it. What purpose would that serve?

Unless you could find a doctor unethical enough to prescribe it for you illegally when you aren't actually sick. I'm sure there are some out there like that unfortunately.

Maybe some uninformed musings, like have it in your medicine cabinet in case you get infected.

Sure I have. And those folks are in jail as they should be. There are definitely bad docs out there who will do crap like that. There were people stockpiling hydroxychloroquine and later ivermectin, getting the prescriptions from shady doctors. It drives me crazy that there are health care professionals who will break every rule like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom