Bacon and other grease

This reminds me of when I first moved out and was on my own. I was excited to cook for myself, but the first few times I had vegetables, they seemed just so bland. When I questioned my Mom about it, she asked if I was putting a spoonful of bacon fat in them. Of course not! Why would I do that? Well, I give it a try and let me tell you...mmmm good!!

But, in practice, I just let it cool and toss in the trash.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Since we live in the boonies, we throw our leftover grease outside for the wild animals to eat

What kinda of critters live out back? In some areas you may not like the results. I'm reminded of my sister overfeeding cats. The first racoon we saw was cute, when there were 15 or so out there they weren't cute anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We have deer, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, woodchucks, possum, fox. I put the grease far enough away from the house to prevent problems at the house. And we only have grease about once a month, so the critters aren't sticking around waiting for a meal.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Your fine.. my sister was pretty amazed how many racoons showed up. She fed the cat nightly and when the 'cat' kept eating it all she did the nice thing and gave it more and more.......

I have a buddy in another state that feeds the deer, then black bears started showing up. He had to 'bear proof' their house, after a large bear decided it wanted in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Bacon beer? That's a Nobel Prize level discovery, and I bet whoever did it would be richer than Bill Gates.

It's been done. History channel has show, "Dark Horse Nation", about a micro brewer in MI. They did a bacon beer.

I have a septic system, so zero grease goes down the sink drain. :nonono:

+1 - I never put any oil or grease in my septic system if I can help it. I'm sure a little of it makes it way in, but not much. Cooking oils/grease are poured into empty one gallon Ozarka water bottles and that goes to the trash/landfill. The little bit of bacon oil we have usually goes over the dogs food which he loves.

.....My grandmother fried eggs in bacon grease, basting with it to cook the tops. Tasted great and we always looked forward to breakfast. ....

FIL did the same thing. He would fry eggs in 1/4" of hot bacon fat and used the spatula to splash the hot fat on the tops of the eggs so they ended up like a mix between sunny-side-up and over easy. He dies of cancer, not heart disease.

braumeister, When I saw this:
Bacon beer? That's a Nobel Prize level discovery, and I bet whoever did it would be richer than Bill Gates.

I went over and grabbed this image:
727.jpg

Great minds!

Or it's collected and sold into a pipeline after cleaning up and dewatering.;)

Wow - I haven't seen that around northern Illinois. But the landfill I was involved in closed several years ago. Is the methane sale through pipeline something new?

Wow - I haven't seen that around northern Illinois. But the landfill I was involved in closed several years ago. Is the methane sale through pipeline something new?

No, I've seen landfills with gas being used to fire co-generation units. Tapping landfill gas for fuel use is common in new landfill design. Many municipalities that are expanding and planning new landfills consider incorporating methane recovery in the design. EPA has a program for it:

Landfill Methane Outreach Program (LMOP) | US EPA

Please tell me it was a remote floating camera that took the video footage found halfway down that webpage. :sick:

:LOL:

I read the article, or most of it, and no, those dedicated public servants were walking around in it. I sure hope they had waders.....

No, I've seen landfills with gas being used to fire co-generation units. Tapping landfill gas for fuel use is common in new landfill design. Many municipalities that are expanding and planning new landfills consider incorporating methane recovery in the design. EPA has a program for it:

Landfill Methane Outreach Program (LMOP) | US EPA

54% of the electricity that we use here at home is generated by landfill methane gas. I don't understand why it isn't mandatory for every significant landfill in the country to be considered for generation.

This is probably one of those "commonsense" things that doesn't end up to be very accurate. Water, no matter how hot initially, would cool down quite rapidly and be, at the very least (most?) "room" temperature, before reaching the main line.

I would have to fall into line with the "just don't put it in your drain" group.

Actually if you then look at the line the dishwasher is on it will put a couple of gallons of 160 f water down twice a cycle, which should rinse a good bit of grease from that line (in particular because the wash water also has detergent)

Um, that's not how arteries work...
Um, thats exactly how arteries get plugged up! Sorry everybody for my replies being off topic a little, but i'm seeing some real misconceptions of the health affects of bacon fat.

Bacon & LDL | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Saturated Fat
About one-third of the fat in bacon is saturated, an especially unhealthy type of fat. According to the National Institutes of Health, saturated fat is a significant dietary factor that causes high levels of LDL. LDL is a lipoprotein that carries cholesterol to all your cells. Your body needs cholesterol to build cellular membranes, synthesize some hormones and drive many biochemical reactions. But LDL is often called bad cholesterol because, when its level becomes too high, it can cause plaque to form. Plaque is a fatty deposit that develops on the inner surface of your arteries, which carry blood to all your organs. Eventually, plaque hardens, narrowing vessels and interfering with blood flow. This can have serious consequences for your health.

Last edited:
But LDL is often called bad cholesterol because, when its level becomes too high, it can cause plaque to form.

Um, there is absolutely no scientific evidence for this frequently claimed effect. Nor is there any recognized biochemical mechanism for its occurrence.

But otherwise, we should all eat the way we like.

I like a lot of bacon.

Um, thats exactly how arteries get plugged up! Sorry everybody for my replies being off topic a little, but i'm seeing some real misconceptions of the health affects of bacon fat.

Bacon & LDL | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

There is a lot of research and debate about this going on these days. It's certainly not settled science either way, but there is a lot of evidence that the old American Heart Association approach is flawed. For example,

'Rise of saturated fat in diet does not raise fats in blood' - Medical News Today

Prof. Volek says that there is widespread misunderstanding about saturated fat, stating that despite population studies failing to find a link between dietary saturated fat and heart disease, dietary guidelines continue to advocate restriction of saturated fat

Another interesting article is:

Saturated fat is not the major issue | The BMJ

Saturated fat has been demonised ever since Ancel Keys’s landmark “seven countries” study in 1970.2 This concluded that a correlation existed between the incidence of coronary heart disease and total cholesterol concentrations, which then correlated with the proportion of energy provided by saturated fat. But correlation is not causation.

Yes, we're off topic (sorry). But it's worth it to point out both sides.

Back
Top Bottom