Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh my dear god.

In reviewing some new recipes to try out with my new smoker (sitting in the livingroom as we speak) I came across two items of interest.

Lets dispose of the non-bacon-related item first. Its called a "fattie". Yeah, I know.

Basically this is a chub of Jimmy Dean sausage thrown into the smoker and ideally positioned above a lean piece of meat so the fat drips down on it, it is then sliced and eaten separately. In more complex arrangements its flattened, stuffed with mozzarella, pepperoni, tomato paste, onions, garlic and so forth, then rolled and cooked as a 'pizza' item.

On to the bacon product. This is known as an "ABT" or "atomic buffalo turd" or "atomic bear turd".

This is a jalapeno pepper, stuffed with cheese and/or meat, wrapped in bacon, and then cooked on a smoker for about 3-5 hours. There are even special "abt racks" or "chili racks" made to hold these. Most of the recipes involve capped and hollowed peppers stuffed with a mix of cream cheese, cheddar, shredded pork or minced sausage, a bit of spice rub, and then of course, topped and wrapped in bacon.

I'll be making about 3 dozen of these and some form of fattie in the next couple of days.

By the way, the arguments about whether to halve the pepper or take the top off and which stuffings are and are not appropriate ABT items are more hotly disputed than annuities and precious metals are here. And the acronyms are equally mystifying...

The lesser "fattie"

And sliced open...this is a "pizza fattie"

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Please oh please give me your address Bunny! I just gotta have one...I don't care if I die young...well sorta young anyway.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I dont even want to know the amount of exercise I would need to do. Just looking at it makes me want to go run.

I would like to add. I would eat it and live with the consequences of my actions..
Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Please oh please give me your address Bunny! I just gotta have one...I don't care if I die young...well sorta young anyway.
Ahhhh....

NM!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I would like to add. I would eat it and live with the consequences of my actions..
Good man. I'm going to use the thick cut dry cure bacon and go with a mix of apple wood and cherry.

Dude! The primary component is a vegetable! We're immune!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #126

Oh then its all ok!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #127

Kindly send those pictures on to India.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dude! The primary component is a vegetable! We're immune!
Unless it's broccoli...

"'Cause I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker..."

Steve Miller

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #129

WOW CFB I now have (another) purpose in life. Now I have to figure out how to convince DW that this fits into our 'healthy' diet.
THANKS!

btw, you poppers remind me of my favorite New Year Eve party appetizer, chicken liver wrapped in bacon ... ok ... now you made me drool on my keyboard ... hope it has a protective membrane ...
Old 05-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

I just made a batch to go into the smoker tomorrow. Kind of a pain in the butt. I made a dozen by splitting them up the middle, scooping the seeds, filling with the cream cheese mixture and laying a half strip of bacon on top and six by cutting off the top, scooping, filling, sticking a bit of bacon in the top, wrapping with a half slice and skewering with a toothpick. The halving method is 150% easier. I took a couple of cheap foil disposable steam table pans that will just fit into the smoker, put the halved jobs in one and turned the other upside down, poked some holes in it and stood the capped peppers upright by tucking them in the holes. I'll put that on the next shelf up.

The filling I used was about 8oz softened cream cheese, four scallions minced, and about 3 heaping tablespoons of my regular dry rub mix - 4 parts brown sugar, 2 parts chili powder, 1 part smoked paprika, 1 part cumin, 1 part salt, 1 part black pepper, 1 part granulated garlic.

I might sprinkle a little more rub over the top of the whole shebang before I put it in the smoker. Only thing I'm concerned about is that the bacon I used is the extra thick dry cure and it might not cook fully before the pepper starts to disintegrate. I got big honking jalapenos just to be sure they stand up. Most of them are a good 3.5-4" long.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Huh...thought I had a pic of the ABT's in my prior post...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abt.jpg (208.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #132

CFB - Can't see the buffalo turds in my browser, got a link to some other photo?

Showed the Fattie to DW - her eyes about popped out... gotta try that one.

R
Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #133

I see it now, thanks!

R
Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #134

Those look tasty. Really tasty. Good job CFB.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Golly, just the sight of it all brings tears to my eyes!

Good work Bunny.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

DO try this at home!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
DO try this at home!
Well, I guess I'll have to since you won't give me your address.........
Old 05-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #138

Hmm tasy bacon goodness. This is what you would call really fresh bacon

Old 05-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Let me sing the praises of Costco's Hormel fully cooked bacon: It's super handy - doesn't stink up the house and leaves just the right amount of fat in the pan to do pancakes or eggs - both if you have a good cast iron pan. Counting the number of strips it's about 1.5 times more expensive than uncooked bacon, but the quality is great, the strips stay flat, very little smoke, and it's so fast i don't wander off and let it cremate.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeeeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Not SPAM: Canned Bacon Guarantees Full Heart Failure in 24 Hours