Bahamas... 395 thousand people and....

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
The high point is 206 above sea level. 80% of the islands have an elevation of less than three feet above sea level... (coral ridges, lagoons)

Storm surge estimates 15 to 30 feet...

Did you know? Better still... did any of the TV news programs know?

The highest point in Florida is 312 feet above sea level.

Florida has a population of 21 million plus.

Cat 5 now with 185 sustained and 220 gusts. That's like an F-5 tornado that parks on top of your ass for a day or two. May God have mercy on those who couldn't leave. The rest? ISTBY.

The highest point in Florida is 312 feet above sea level.

Florida has a population of 21 million plus.

and Florida has roads that lead to places that won't have a hurricane, with tons of advanced warning.

The Bahamas have roads that go around the island.

And the Bahamas took a direct hit, from a stalled hurricane. Florida is forecast to get a glancing blow - bad, but not as bad as a direct hit.

The Bahamans might be worthy of a tiny bit of sympathy and help...

This is a big one. It's the season. I hope everyone heeds advice. Good luck

Part of that footage taken from a 2nd story screened in porch, creaking. Wonder how long that house will last. Where does one go? What sort of rescue is available? The cell phones still work. Unbelievable.

and Florida has roads that lead to places that won't have a hurricane, with tons of advanced warning.

And the Bahamas took a direct hit, from a stalled hurricane. Florida is forecast to get a glancing blow - bad, but not as bad as a direct hit.

Exactly. I was thinking the same thing. I would much rather be in Florida than the Bahamas right now. Fortunately, I am in neither.

Rant....

The degree of total ignorance on the part of the news media is appalling. The overhead colored map video is about all that is being shown. the amount of devastation on the Bahamas is almost totally ignored visually. A few camera videos... no on the scene persons for any of the major news or weather channels. For he most, a picture taken a day or two ago of one of the reporters blowing in a 10 mile/hr wind, and wearing a wet shirt., but virtually nothing current. Checking on line pictures some many destroyed homes, downed power lined, water on streets up to 6 feet high, and almost up to second floors of homes.

More ignorance... Talking about beaches... with storm surges from 5 to 23 feet, the on rushing waves will take away all of the white sand. think Daytona Beach.... Haven't heard word one about this. When the white sand is gone, the packed sand that's left is like a sidewalk. No way to replace the white soft sand.... You can'r just plow up the wet dark color packed sand. It has to be brought in . think of replacing, to a one or two foot depth, several hundred miles of white sand.

We remember Andrew and how long it took the eastern beaches to recover.

And so it goes... the TV announcer showing the map, talking about the speed of the wind, and the forward speed. Much, much too much of too little.

Inquiring minds want to know...

YMMV :cool:

Last edited:

My post was not intended as comparing or contrasting the OP; it was in addition to the OP. Note the lack of quoting the OP and the absence of comparative or contrasting adverbs.

People in hurricanes, especially those with limited resources to protect themselves and their loved ones, have my sympathy and my help.

TBH, I didn't really understand where the OP was going with his OP. I knew about the Bahamas before Dorian, and assumed that TV news crews were similarly knowledgeable.

:flowers:

So what are you complaining/insulting us about.?? You don't seem to know squat yourself-just regurgitating some facts from a "influencer"
Where is the relief for the Bahamas coming from. Ships with supplies, hospital ship needed? Normally people put aside their differences and just reach out with help.
Nobody admits to liking the Red Cross or International Aid charities but we all expect them to show up in a crisis.

The Bahamas are being reported right now on the Weather Channel. Here also is a current article from the BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49554537 (the Bahamas being a commonwealth realm of the UK, I believe, maybe the OP would find better reporting about the Bahamas in his opinion on British media?). At any rate, I think there is a lot of reporting on the Bahamas and don't really understand the issue. It's hard to get on-the-ground reporting at ground zero during a category 5 hurricane. Bless them all.

Last edited:
According to headlines, only 13,000 homes damaged and destroyed in the Bahamas.

Here's a current link to more videos. May be changed...

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/hurricane-dorian-september-2019/index.html

And a quote:

"The Bahamas minister for agriculture shared a video showing flood waters creeping into his home in Grand Bahama. You can hear Michael Pintard explaining the situation in the video: “That’s water hitting my front window which is extremely high. Of course I’m already completely flooded out. That’s my kitchen window that water is hitting and that has to be a minimum of about 20 feet above the ground. This is water by my back door that came from the canal that height has to be 20 to 25 feet above sea level. This is what I’m facing at the moment. I have neighbors who are in a far worse position than me and my family. That’s my bedroom water hitting there," Pintard says."]The Bahamas minister for agriculture shared a video showing flood waters creeping into his home in Grand Bahama. You can hear Michael Pintard explaining the situation in the video: “That’s water hitting my front window which is extremely high. Of course I’m already completely flooded out. That’s my kitchen window that water is hitting and that has to be a minimum of about 20 feet above the ground. This is water by my back door that came from the canal that height has to be 20 to 25 feet above sea level. This is what I’m facing at the moment. I have neighbors who are in a far worse position than me and my family. That’s my bedroom water hitting there," Pintard says.

Not much interest in this subject, so let it go...
....but... something to think about...

The administration has proposed cutting NOAA's budget to about $4.5 billion for fiscal year (FY) 2020, a drop of about 18%, nearly $1 billion, compared with the agency's FY 2019 enacted budget.

Actually I hope and believe there is a lot of interest in these types of subjects imoldernu. It’s very difficult to discuss though without crossing the line between the financial impact of the current administration’s actions to the broader implications. It’s also difficult to quantify the costs of missed opportunities.

Man to just have that storm churning there off the Bahamas , this could look like Harvey . The storm seems to be drying out if that big High pressure slides in it will end up in the Atlantic

I thought the Dorian forecats were exceptionally good. The 3-day cone was correct, and the general ideas beyond day 3 also correct, such as the slowing of the hurricane and its turn north.

More storm video and Bahama pics will emerge once their electricity goes back on, and the rebuilding process starts.

DD's husband had a big birthday trip planned to a Bahamas resort, not sure which one or where in the islands, in November--:(. Waiting to hear from them about what they've heard. We'll definitely send some $ to a relief agency to help as his gift.

More storm video and Bahama pics will emerge once their electricity goes back on, and the rebuilding process starts.

Yes, more pics will be coming, but I think we've seen enough already to have a good idea of the devastation on the northern Bahama Islands, and it's catastrophic. I don't know where all the $$ for rebuilding is going to come from for a lot of these people, that don't have a lot of resources to fall back on. The tourism economy is destroyed for the foreseeable future, as Amethyst said, so that's not going to generate any $$.

Back
Top Bottom