Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cut me a switch...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Cut me a switch...
My mother used to make the misbehaving child cut the switch for her to use! Ow. That was awful. If it wasn't nasty enough, she would send the child back for a stouter switch. Many tears were shed by yours truly while cutting switches.

Note to young dreamers: I know this isn't PC any more, but a long long time ago parents used corporal punishment on kids....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Send the parents the check for the rescue effort.

Glad he is ok
After watching that video, I agree 100%.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Little boys can be so mischievous.
Big boys, too ...
Old 10-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This sure seems like a perfect stunt, playing right into the family's skills and previous experiences. I don't want to be too cynical, but it sure feels like they deliberately set this up for huge publicity. The costs of the possible rescues, the military planes scrambled to assist, the closing of part of Denver airspace, must have a huge cost. Whether this was really an accident or just a fake, I do think the family should be responsible for the costs.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I didn't watch it live today, but have been following online reports.

I am not amused by this obvious publicity stunt. National radar resources were involved, which means they were distracted from their usual lookout tasks.

Charge them double.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Cut me a switch...
Don't forget-the parents are known media sophisticates, this might be a stunt cooked up by them. The 6 year old is too young to be expected to resist his parents' plan. Cut a switch stout enough to handle Mom and Dad too.

Ha
Old 10-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Cut a switch stout enough to handle Mom and Dad too.
Wouldn't that be referred to as an axe handle?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #29

Why were the kids all at home during the day on a weekday? What about school?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish I grew up in a family like this. The kids must be having a blast. Rockets, balloons, searches for extraterrestrials.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that this was a publicity stunt. The statements from their neighbors suggest that it wasn't. If that's the case, I don't believe that they should have to pay for the search and rescue efforts. That would be a horrible precedent. Children get lost or in some sort of predicament all the time. You don't want a decision on whether to call 911 (or the FAA) to be influenced on a possible financial cost. If you honestly believe a child may be in danger, get help first, ask questions later.

I don't believe the boy should be punished. He's 6 years old. A young child often hides when he thinks people are looking for him. He's afraid of getting into trouble.

Back to the family. This family is what America is all about, or should be about. OK. I didn't see any of the Wife Swap episodes. I'm basing my statement entirely on today's news articles. One reason for this country's strength has been the unencumbered pursuit of ideas over the last 250 years. This family can no longer cross the country in a covered wagon, so they're exploring the world in other ways. They're demonstrating creativity, ingenuity, and inventiveness. They're not afraid of adventure. They appear to be liked by their neighbors, who say they're eccentric, but kind. They are an interesting family.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #31

A big media show. Another example of how idiotic many in the media are. What is it about the media that seems to attract so many non-thinking bubbleheads? TV "news" is filled with examples.

No way would a helium ballon of that small size be able to lift a six year old. Maybe if he was a six year old Cabbage Patch "boy".

Even if the balloon was a lot lot bigger, the shape alone says it wasn't carrying a load other than itself. If there was a significant payload at the bottom, the envelope wouldn't hold the hamburger-bun shape. The center would rise, and the outer periphery would contract inwards due to the tension between the buoyancy above and the mass below. The pictures show that it obviously was lifting only its own mass.

When I see things like this get so many people wound-up, I start to wonder if I'm from a different planet. Or maybe the earthlings are being plucked out one by one and are being replaced by bubbleheads from some distant galaxy...
Old 10-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
my brother got a ticket for speeding when driving by himself at age 7 about 12 miles from our home,
Well, I waited for the drama to end, before hijacking the thread.

Please tell us the cop believed him when he produced a driver's license.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Interview Sets Off Skeptics of Balloon Drama
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

It was difficult to get the perspective of the size of the balloon inflight from the helicopter videos, but when I saw the the balloon nearing touchdown, I questioned whether it could carry a 6 yr old with an average weight of 45-50lbs.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

after hearing it on the radio yesterday I turned the tv on to see what was going on. Watching 15 minutes when the balloon landed and they profiled the family I knew it was a hoax. I then called my wife and told her that this is kooky. Sure enough last night on the news the kid slipped and said "it was for a show". LOL

I am sure someone will prove me wrong.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This guy's body language does not seem to support his words.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #37

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
.............No way would a helium balloon of that small size be able to lift a six year old. Maybe if he was a six year old Cabbage Patch "boy"..........
My thoughts exactly
Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

So cable news spent two hours tracking a home made silver balloon. Egg on the face and a complete waste of everybody's time. Shades of Orsen Welles.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I love that!! It has been decades and I will never, ever forget poor little baby Jessica, stuck many feet down in that Texas well that I think was only about 12" in diameter or so. I hope her life since her rescue has been happy and fulfilling. Like everyone, I cheered when she was finally rescued.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote