Stolen License Plate

Here in IL we have toll roads.

So if your plate is stolen, be sure to also got to the toll road website and remove the plate from your account.
Otherwise you will paying for the criminal to use the tolls.

A hassle for sure. Plus, that sucks about the license plate frame. :(

I have noticed the DMV has been easier to deal with than 3 years ago when we moved to Nevada. Much quicker dates available for appt!

Good luck.

I threw mine in the trash after we transferred the car from DH’s name to mine (no, DMV wouldn’t transfer the plates) and they were later retrieved-no idea where or how-and used by people running through EZ Pass lanes! Lesson learned.

My DMV went to appointment-only during COVID. I actually liked it. I think they’re back to walk-ins now.
WOW, who would have thought that would happen?
I'm pretty sure I also threw mine in the trash when I sold my car to Carvana, they told me to remove them when they came to pick up the car since they were taking it out of state. I called the DMV and they did not want them back. Luckily I don't have a Fast Track account but that could have easily happened to me. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Glad I kept my old plates. They were conservation plates, had them for > 20 years and was ready for a new set.

In Texas you get your cars license plates at your local county tax assessor-collector’s office. That's a walk-in. Drivers license OTOH are issued by the DMV and that's getting to be by appointment only.

Plates for sure...sticker renewals by online filing and mail to you. I got my new driver's license by online renewal. If you are selected to come into the DMV, it's for an eye test and driving test. My DW had to go in to the DMV office for the test at age 75.

Since they really wanted the plate, it's possible they tossed the bracket away somewhat close to where the plates were stolen..

I thought of that and immediately searched the area in the parking lot for awhile.

Luckily I don't have a Fast Track account but that could have easily happened to me. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Neither did I. Apparently if you drive through EZ Pass without a transponder they take a picture of your license plate and then send a bill to the holder of record. The amounts were small (under $100 total) and it took awhile to untangle. I did report them stolen after I found out.

Just DO make sure that the theft is reported and you get the replacement tags ASAP. There is a reason someone wanted the tag and you don't want to have to be explaining why you aren't the person who did what they did.

Have you made the police report yet? Be sure to carry that with you when you drive.

The special frame commemorated his service in Vietnam. He barely survived a horrific battle and spent a year in the hospital. I feel terrible about losing the plate frame. It was a nice reminder of who he was.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe it’s easier in some states to deal with this. If I was still working I would have to take time off.

Amazon has some plate holders available. Maybe Nords can direct you to other sources.
Sorry about the theft, Terry. The vehicles with those Vietnam plates & frames are slowly disappearing from the parking lot at my favorite surf break.

If the frame is from a unit or command then their reunion site almost always has someone who either makes the frames or who can put in a bulk order for the group. It helps if you have a photo to send them or can find a similar image online.

Specific campaigns or battles are more difficult unless there was a slogan (to look up online) or a large unit (brigade or bigger) involved in the battle. And again you'd end up at the unit's reunion site.

If you post more details here (or send me a PM) then I can ask around on a few military groups.

Neither did I. Apparently if you drive through EZ Pass without a transponder they take a picture of your license plate and then send a bill to the holder of record. The amounts were small (under $100 total) and it took awhile to untangle. I did report them stolen after I found out.

Yep, they find you. Whether you have an account or not.

Thanks Nords, put I don’t have a picture or any of the information that was on the plate. Never did I think that someone would steal my license plate. I didn’t even know that was a thing happening until the police told me it’s a daily occurrence here .

I met his wife at work and we became good friends. Then during her many bouts of cancer I became friends with him too. I was his wife’s guardian when she got Alzheimer’s and he was dying from cancer. He was a wonderful friend and it was nice to walk up to my car and see a reminder of him. I know it sounds silly and until it was gone I didn’t realize how much it meant to me.

Last edited:
Are you really sure it was stolen and didn't just fall off somewhere ?

I've seen license plates along the road , where they have fallen off, so it happens.

I put my number on the back of license plate in permanent marker, so if it does fall off, someone could phone/text me.

I know it sounds silly and until it was gone I didn’t realize how much it meant to me.

Very sad indeed. I would get a new frame that comes close enough. It certainly won't replace what you've lost but it will still remind you of him (that time in your life) and that will be good. Maybe have one customized with a statement that sums up your main thoughts. Also, maybe get a customized license plate with a military logo on it if that's an option in NV.

I lost (or had stolen) a license tag once. Only hassle was that I had to go to the DMV and get another one. Cost a few bucks as I recall - and maybe 3 hours in line.:banghead:

Sounds like some bad guys planning a smash and grab need somebody to direct the police to.
Well it won’t be me as my plate number is in a national database as stolen. I did it the same day it was stolen.The police said they do it to commit more felonies and not have it traced back to them. I was surprised stealing plates is a felony.

If you have a form, you might want to leave it on the dash or back ledge (if your car has one, and if your state doesn't require front plates), especially when you're parked.
If you do that (and I agree, it's a good idea), make sure you put a "copy" of the form in the car. You don't want anybody stealing the original.

If you do that (and I agree, it's a good idea), make sure you put a "copy" of the form in the car. You don't want anybody stealing the original.
I’m keeping the form in my purse. If I forget to bring it to the dmv appointment that took me 2 weeks to get they wouldn’t wait for me to run out to the car to get it. They would make me reschedule. Our DMV unfortunately is not interested in customer service.

Well it won’t be me as my plate number is in a national database as stolen. I did it the same day it was stolen.The police said they do it to commit more felonies and not have it traced back to them. I was surprised stealing plates is a felony.
Great! alert citizens are the best way to help law enforcement.

I’m keeping the form in my purse. If I forget to bring it to the dmv appointment that took me 2 weeks to get they wouldn’t wait for me to run out to the car to get it. They would make me reschedule. Our DMV unfortunately is not interested in customer service.

This is me being shocked.

I had a plate stolen once. We live in a central Florida county and the county name appears on the plate. Two counties over is where the plate was stolen. That county had mandatory emissions checks as a requirement for plate renewal: ours did not. My guess is that someone driving an obvious smoker nabbed our plate to stay on the road a while longer without fixing his issue.

I had my appointment today and still had to wait almost 2 hours. It’s better than doing walk ins where it would take 6-8 hours and required me to take a day off of work.

Hopefully no one steals this plate. The clerk said she had hers stolen too and it’s a huge problem here. People also get mad she said that they have to pay for the plates.

I also decided to get my real id which required a folder of paperwork. Mine wasn’t up for a year but it’s never been a problem renewing early. So after I finished everything which took forever she informed me that I still have to renew next year. If she had told me that to start with I wouldn’t have bothered. I was saving myself a trip.

Back
Top Bottom