Balloon child

Notmuchlonger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone else watching that story on the child up in the balloon. My heart goes out to that family. Terrible. :(

It came down and he isn't inside. Either fell out or who knows what? How awful for the family.

Little boys can be so mischievous. I really hope he is hiding in his closet or something. It's awful to think he could have fallen 12,000 feet to his death. :(

some in our fine state have become so cynical from the multitude of high profile hoaxes re: disappearances in our state. we had the awol soldier who faked getting hurt and went missing in the wilderness, the guy who reported his 6 year old daughter ran away/amber alert when she had already been gone/dead for 2 years. Sad to say, it just makes you wonder if the whole balloon going up thing is to cover up for something else...?

some in our fine state have become so cynical from the multitude of high profile hoaxes re: disappearances in our state. we had the awol soldier who faked getting hurt and went missing in the wilderness, the guy who reported his 6 year old daughter ran away/amber alert when she had already been gone/dead for 2 years. Sad to say, it just makes you wonder if the whole balloon going up thing is to cover up for something else...?

It could be.

When I was a kid, my brothers and I were the kids from h*ll and we used to run wild and play some serious pranks like this. For example, my brother got a ticket for speeding when driving by himself at age 7 about 12 miles from our home, one night when my parents went out to dinner and the babysitter thought we were in bed. So, thinking of the mischief kids can get into, I keep thinking that maybe his big brother tied him up, gagged him, and put him in a drawer or in the attic above the garage.

Probably wishful thinking, as I hate to think of a little six year old falling to his death. His parents must be frantic.

Last edited:

I, too, hope you are correct. There is this news story which identifies the family as "devote[ing] their time to scientific experiments that include looking for extraterrestrials and building a research-gathering flying saucer to send into the eye of the storm." They, also, participated on the TV show "Wife Swap." (Of course, this story is on Fox so you have to be a little leery.)

Balloon Believed to Be Carrying Boy Lands, Boy Not Inside - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

I hate to admit it but I saw that episode of WifeSwap (an occasional guilty pleasure--so sue me). The mom was a nutjob and ironically the family she visited was superparanoid about their children being in danger.

I hope the little boy wandered away after the older child apparently saw him get into the balloon, since the reports are that the home has been thoroughly searched and no sign of the boy found.

OMG. I do hope that little boy is alive and well, but I can see that whatever his fate is, there is going to be a reality show starring this family, mark my words.

Apparently there was a box on the bottom of the balloon, that wasn't there when they recovered it. They are showing a photo of something apparently dropping from the balloon shortly after it was released. So, there is still a possibility that this will turn out to be a tragedy. :(

I am just hoping that he is hiding or something and was never inside the balloon.

The reports are now (press Conference with sheriff) that the boy was found at home... alive.

So, thinking of the mischief kids can get into, I keep thinking that maybe his big brother tied him up, gagged him, and put him in a drawer or in the attic above the garage.

Aha! They just said he was in the attic above the garage, inside a box.

So to follow up on what Igsoy and I said earlier, it is telling that one of the reporters at the press confernece said:

'So this is not another "Reality TV" episode?"

The sheriff wisely answered that someone else would have to determine that.

These people are quite adept at media manipulation. (As Igsoy suggests, maybe it is our state.) So we will see where this goes.

Ain't life fun?

Aha! They just said he was in the attic above the garage, inside a box.
A happy ending, sort of -- which could be made happier by sending his parents the bill for the search and rescue efforts resulting from a prank. A little of that "Wife Swap" money should do the trick...

A happy ending, sort of -- which could be made happier by sending his parents the bill for the search and rescue efforts resulting from a prank. A little of that "Wife Swap" money should do the trick...

I think they should pay for it, and even more important I think the kid should bear some consequences. Obviously he can't pay for all of it, but his parents should figure out a way that he can earn a few pennies here or there (when he'd rather be playing) to help pay for it.

Cut me a switch... :LOL:

My mother used to make the misbehaving child cut the switch for her to use! Ow. That was awful. If it wasn't nasty enough, she would send the child back for a stouter switch. Many tears were shed by yours truly while cutting switches.

Note to young dreamers: I know this isn't PC any more, but a long long time ago parents used corporal punishment on kids.... ;)

This sure seems like a perfect stunt, playing right into the family's skills and previous experiences. I don't want to be too cynical, but it sure feels like they deliberately set this up for huge publicity. The costs of the possible rescues, the military planes scrambled to assist, the closing of part of Denver airspace, must have a huge cost. Whether this was really an accident or just a fake, I do think the family should be responsible for the costs.

Back
Top Bottom