Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Because they're actually DOING something the entire time they're on the ice - not just standing around waiting for a teammate to eventually throw a ball at an opponent, who might or might not hit it, and if they do, in all likelihood, it'll be to another teammate rather than himself.

You just hit on one of the sports I consider MOST athletic, and for the same reason. Soccer players play the whole game, and they're moving for almost the entire time. Notice there are no fat soccer players!

Same goes for basketball. Those guys are constantly moving and are in much better shape than your average baseball player.

Can you imagine a pro baseball player trying to keep up with Kobe Bryant or David Beckett? They'd be desperately gasping for air after mere minutes!

Just a rebuttal.... take a look at weight lifters.... a good number of them are very fat and a lot smoke.... but I doubt you would say they are not fit to do their sport...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just a rebuttal.... take a look at weight lifters.... a good number of them are very fat and a lot smoke.... but I doubt you would say they are not fit to do their sport...
LaDainian Tomlinson, former star running back with the San Diego Chargers, was 5'10 and about 215. According to the BMI charts, he is obese but the dude is all muscle.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

An opinion from CNN:

Quote:
Is this necessary? Is the "collision at home plate" such a key element of a centuries-old sport that the show must go on? Are we a bunch of wusses now, no longer willing or able to play this game in the way that our daddies and granddaddies did?
Or are we finally coming to our senses?
Downey: Baseball gets wussified, or comes to its senses? - CNN.com
Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
And yet many of them are clearly sporting plenty of extra body fat.

How to reconcile this?

The answer, of course, is that steroids don't make you skinny. You can take steroids and still be fat.

I'm continuing to ignore the cricket red herring, as it's not actually played in Canada. Our national sport is hockey, where teams of fit guys slap razor-sharp steel blades to their feet and race around a sheet of ice slamming into each other.
Quote:
Actually, I think you are both mixing up slab muscle with body fat. There's a big difference between being sharply defined (very low body fat and targeted muscle building) and being very strong with lots of slab muscle. Neither one of them are fat.

And I thought the Canadian National Sport was curling.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Tackling isn't really the problem. The problem in the NFL is the *lack* of classic form tackling.
Agree 100%. I've read studies that overall rate of significant injuries was less in the pre-facemask/leather helmet ear, although admittedly there are probs comparing stats from different eras. Seems most defenders today would rather go for the "big hit" and accept a higher risk of missing the tackle. Maybe too easy to feel "invincible" in modern hi-tech helmets/pads?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Actually, I think you are both mixing up slab muscle with body fat. There's a big difference between being sharply defined (very low body fat and targeted muscle building) and being very strong with lots of slab muscle. Neither one of them are fat.

And I thought the Canadian National Sport was curling.

Actually, the weight lifters at the high level do have a lot of fat... (at least when I saw them a few Olympics ago, where they had a clip on their fat... I am talking about the highest weight class, not the smaller ones who are more toned)... Not that they do not have a lot more muscle than we do, but that big stomach is not all muscle...

Good one on the curling
Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Agree 100%. I've read studies that overall rate of significant injuries was less in the pre-facemask/leather helmet ear, although admittedly there are probs comparing stats from different eras. Seems most defenders today would rather go for the "big hit" and accept a higher risk of missing the tackle. Maybe too easy to feel "invincible" in modern hi-tech helmets/pads?

If you look at rugby, they don't seem to have the number of injuries that we have... I do think that having that helmet has changed the game to the big hits...

Not sure, but I do not think they wear helmets in Aussie rules football.... wonder what their injury rate is
Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #68

Quote:
Not sure, but I do not think they wear helmets in Aussie rules football.... wonder what their injury rate is
I looked it up today after this thread. It is one of the highest injury prone sports.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #69

Quote:
But, you do not see any pros that have extra fat.... they just cannot make it at that level...
Check out some golfers who look are obese - John Daly for one. Sumo wrestlers, well, let's not even go there .
Old 12-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #70

This thread sure morphed into other debates. It seems silly to me to compare/imply that some sports have more fit athletes due to type of sport or that a high BMI means someone isn't in shape compared to another sport.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Someone else already has thrown in the cricket aspect... talk about lack of action... and they even schedule a tea time in the middle of the game!!!!
Make it a happy hour, and I'm in...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it's becoming less common in nearly every sport/game. Genetic mutants aside, athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster, in part due to more and better training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
A definite pet peeve of mine...

Old 12-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
My favorite player was Andre "The Hawk" Dawson. He played right field for Chicago after coming from Montreal. He had a rocket arm and one time threw out a guy at first from right field. How embarrassing is that?
This happens with some regularity when right-handed pitchers are batting. They "single" to right, but they are slow and the right fielder is playing very shallow. The RF charges hard, fires to first, and the pitcher is out.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

But think of all the fun we'll miss:

Antics like that are why I refuse to watch MLB. Silly and stupid, I'd compare it to a bunch of pre adolescent boys. Oh wait, watching the LLWS seems like 3 batters were hit, no bench clearing antics. Seem to remember the pitchers shaking hands with the batters. There was a close play at home as well, professional and sportsman like.
MRG
Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Make it a happy hour, and I'm in...
Another component that would help restore the popularity of America's favorite pastime! Perhaps earlier in the game to balance the 7th inning stretch.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

And now, back to the sisifying of Americas past time.

We should make the bases flat so no one can twist and ankle.

Players should have air bags for collisions when two players try to catch the ball.

Spikes should retract when sliding so players can't get scratched.

sure there will be more.................................
Old 12-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
And now, back to the sisifying of Americas past time.
We should make the bases flat so no one can twist and ankle.
Players should have air bags for collisions when two players try to catch the ball.
Spikes should retract when sliding so players can't get scratched.
sure there will be more.................................
Why stop there?

Hitters will have batting cage screen at the plate so that only his bat & swing path is exposed to a pitch. If this doesn't work, change balls to something less lethal like an oversize ping pong ball.

Eliminate catching position with automatic ball return machine. Strike & ball is called by computer with 100% accuracy. Bonus effect - eliminate empire.

Outfield walls are covered with foamy material so that crashing into is safe.

Eliminate brawls with politically correct training before each series. Players gather in a meeting room, share pleasant stories, discuss world peace or hunger and how to fix those with mega income they earn, ..

I am sure there are more. Who wants to contribute to the list?
Old 12-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

The game is ruined...

Old 12-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #79

One change I would also like to see is eliminating front elboe/upper arm body armour. That to me is sissifying.