Join Early Retirement Today

Basketball
Old 06-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

Nowitzki didn't end up as a Nowinski last night.

Jarhead
No, but he did the night before... :P

Now his boss is an entirely different story. Cuban was fined a cool $250,000 today for "conduct unbecoming...". That brings his total NBA "hissy fit" money to $1.45 million.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: My Inflation numbers - Hows Yours
Old 06-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My Inflation numbers - Hows Yours

One of the best NBA finals ever. Miami might be excited about being one win away (I am too), Dallas loves home cooking, I think this is going 7 games.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
No, but he did the night before... :P

Now his boss is an entirely different story.* Cuban was fined a cool $250,000 today for "conduct unbecoming...".* That brings his total NBA "hissy fit" money to $1.45 million.* *

The best l.45 million that boy ever spent.

Unfortunantly, in our current huge money sports environment, that has raised his stock and generated interest that will more than likely make him richer, and richer.

Damn, that doesn't work for me.

Dallas in 7. (Mav's are close to being unbeatable at home). My wife is betting on Shaq & Co., with her friend, but refused a bet with me.

Looking for a lot of Hack-a-Shaq tonight. The big guy got knocked to the second row last game. One of these days he's going to lose his sense of humor about getting pounded all game, and that's going to be an interesting sight.

15 minutes to game time.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't watched an NBA game in 2 years. Funny how I lost interest in it as I was a long time Celtic fan. Loved their old running style of basketball. Started losing interest when Bird retired. Completely lost interest when Jordan retired and the Bulls busted up.*

But good luck to whoever wins!*
Old 06-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #5

I do not watch any game (football, basketball, socer, etc) at home.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I do not watch any game (football, basketball, socer, etc) at home.
Do you go out to a bar?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Do you go out to a bar?
No. Sometime when we visit the in-laws, they like to watch the games. Thus, we watch them also but NOT at the same intense level as they do.

Spanky
Old 06-21-2006, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

Dallas in 7.* (Mav's are close to being unbeatable at home).*

OOOOOPS!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:35 AM   #9

Can you spell c h o k e? Bah, humbug! Unlike a lot of things, in sports you gotta produce. They didn't, and deserved to lose. Congrats to the Heat, and now there's a replacement for Michael Jordan.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

In the close games, the officials control the outcome.* I am not saying they have a predetermined agenda as to who should or will win but that the calls become outcome determinative in the last couple of minutes like last night.* The replays showed Wayne Wade thrusting a forearm at Dirk as he passed and then histrionically feinting away (that takes talent) and he got the call and two shots to consolidate the lead.* Bad call. Ballgame.*
Old 06-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf
The replays showed Wayne Wade thrusting a forearm at Dirk as he passed and then histrionically feinting away (that takes talent) and he got the call and two shots to consolidate the lead.* Bad call. Ballgame.*
Let me make sure I understand this-- faking out the other team is OK, but faking out the refs is somehow immoral or even illegal?

I'll never understand professional sports...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf
In the close games, the officials control the outcome.* I am not saying they have a predetermined agenda as to who should or will win but that the calls bcome outcome determinative in the last coule of minutes like last night.* The replays showed Wayne Wade thrusting a forearm at Dirk as he passed and then histrionically feinting away (that takes talent) and he got the call and two shots to consolidate the lead.* Bad call. Ballgame.*
I was so glad when Jordan retired. He was a great player, but got tons of bad calls in his favor. Now the leagues media darling is Wade, and we have to endure years more of bad calls to benefit their darling. One step above pro *wrestling, *BTW Hubie Brown is an idiot too, he misses more calls than the officials........shredder
Old 06-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #13

Over a million six in fines and he can't pony up $20 for a trip to Supercuts to update the geeky 'do? *Oh, and the whining... not all that appealing in grown men. *Some really good games though. *Guess Shaq still had a bit of diesel left in the tank. *Does Miami send a thank-you note to Dr. Buss? *Speaking of hairdos...

Old 06-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Come on now, guys. Every year the losing team yells "refs! conspiracy!". If Dallas really was the better team it wouldn't have come down to a call by the ref, anyway. Dirk could have made a couple free throws and the series would have gone back to Dallas with the Mavericks up 3-2, not the other way around!

I'm happy for Miami, and especially for Alonzo Mourning, who has always been an exemplary player and person, and is an inspiration to those who have had to battle back from serious disease.

I really like D-Wade, and how humble and team oriented he is. I think it's a shame to take away from his amazing performance, one for the ages, by chocking it up to refs calls.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Come on now, guys.* Every year the losing team yells "refs! conspiracy!".* If Dallas really was the better team it wouldn't have come down to a call by the ref, anyway.* Dirk could have made a couple free throws and the series would have gone back to Dallas with the Mavericks up 3-2, not the other way around!*

I'm happy for Miami, and especially for Alonzo Mourning, who has always been an exemplary player and person, and is an inspiration to those who have had to battle back from serious disease.

I really like D-Wade, and how humble and team oriented he is.* I think it's a shame to take away from his amazing performance, one for the ages, by chocking it up to refs calls.*
Ditto!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Congrats to the Heat, and now there's a replacement for Michael Jordan.
I didn't watch any of the finals but I did see MJ's replacement last night on David Letterman's show, Wayne Wade. Why does todays 'stars' want to dress like a gang member? When I saw him wearing a Sox baseball cap turned sideways, I decided it was a good time to go to bed. This is one reason I don't watch pro sports anymore.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:14 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Come on now, guys.* Every year the losing team yells "refs! conspiracy!".* If Dallas really was the better team it wouldn't have come down to a call by the ref, anyway.* Dirk could have made a couple free throws and the series would have gone back to Dallas with the Mavericks up 3-2, not the other way around!*

I really like D-Wade, and how humble and team oriented he is.* I think it's a shame to take away from his amazing performance, one for the ages, by chocking it up to refs calls.*
Hey being a pistons fan I did not care who won the finals. What ticks me off is the inconsistencies of the calls, and the "superstar" calls that always go for the superstar. Wade, LaBron, and some others are truly great players, but they should not deserve preferential treatment because they are good players. I guess that gets us ready for life though, you know, how cops never get tickets, how the rich get richer, election promises, sh#t rolls down hill, ect.
BTW--- Mourning always being exemplary? ask New Jersey or Toronto if he is, he took big bucks from them, then, stiffed both teams.............Shredder
Old 06-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
When I saw him wearing a Sox baseball cap turned sideways, I decided it was a good time to go to bed. This is one reason I don't watch pro sports anymore.
Yes, but was he otherwise in compliance with the NBA's dress code? Or is Cuban going to pay his fines too?

This reminds me of the NFL player who was perpetually in trouble for his headbands. A decade later no one remembers his name either...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords: "A decade later nobody remembers his name either."

Hollywood Henderson.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the headband guy was McMahon.