Bathroom Vanities...EXPENSIVE!!

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm looking for a contemporary/modern bathroom vanity for a remodel and am utterly SHOCKED at the prices!

The low end seems to be $500 and goes up as high as the imagination will take you....with a 'sweet spot' of 800-1500. I'm looking for a single sink 47" (approx) vanity.

Any ideas where I can find some cool stuff at reasonable prices? I havent browsed all the catalogs at Lowes or Depot (just the aisles so far). I looked at Ikea and a few online retailers.

I'd like to keep the vanity and sinktop around $750 to stay within budget...so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

J

Well, we just got a 42 vanity from Lowe's but it was $653.76 plus tax without the top.

Is there a place like "Seconds and surplus" near you? You might check any seconds place.
I guess you need a whole vanity? Maybe you could redesign the bathroom to not need it?

We bought two at Lowes and Home Depot for about $230-$250 each, but they were very small ones for an older house with small bathrooms. One I think was 18 or 20 inches wide.

How about going with just a pedestal sink?

Home Depot (may menards?) has some cabinets that come in 'break-down' form. I used these in one bath remodel, and really liked them. One advantage is, you can open the box in the store and check the drawer and cabinet fronts for flaws before you take them to the counter, or at least before you leave the store. I've also bought the higher cost stuff, and it comes weeks later with flaws. The flaws are minor enough to probably not be worth the hassle of going through an exchange process, but it sucks for what you pay.

NOTE: The knock-downs I got, I just bought the front cabinet doors and hinges and made my own cases out of MDF, which is not hard. I was doing a kind of custom sized install, so this worked well for me. The doors are "full overlay" style, so your cabinet does not even show. I cut some 3/4" maple board down to ~ 1/8" thick ( 1/8x3/4) on my table saw to trim out the edges, you could use iron on veneer also. For the sides (most of mine were against the wall), you can buy an extra door, which finishes it off nicely. These doors aren't cheap either, but they are nice and cheaper than the built up ones. I liked a few I saw at Ikea also.

-ERD50

I used regular kitchen base cabinets, just cut them down 3-4" in width. The extra height was nice, in fact many newer homes are starting to feature taller vanity cabinets (34-36" instead of the tradidional 30-32") in the master bathroom. For some reason kitchen cabinets seem to be priced more reasonably than bathroom cabinets.

Why not barter to get the vanity? Maybe you can trade a duct cleaning for a vanity? Give it a shot........:)

Habit ReStores periodically get new, excess inventory from big box stores. Occasionally they also have good stuff from remodeling jobs that just need a new top. If you have one near you it might be worth looking.

I used regular kitchen base cabinets, just cut them down 3-4" in width. The extra height was nice, in fact many newer homes are starting to feature taller vanity cabinets (34-36" instead of the tradidional 30-32") in the master bathroom. For some reason kitchen cabinets seem to be priced more reasonably than bathroom cabinets.

When a friend installed a vanity years ago, it was advised that we set it on a 2x4. Why are they so short?

When a friend installed a vanity years ago, it was advised that we set it on a 2x4. Why are they so short?

If the vanity (or any other base cabinet) is of the European (or "frameless") style, then it doesn't have the normal inset part at the bottom (the 'toe-kick'). Instead, the bottom is just the flat bottom of the box, and the overlay doors would come to within 1/8" of the floor, which obviously wouldn't work. With these cabinets there are two approaches to getting them up to the standard height:
- Build a frame of 2x4s (inset several inches from the front to provide the toe-kick area) and then attach some vinyl molding or nice wood to the front of the box on the parts that show.
or
- Attach plastic legs can be adjusted from approx 3.5" to 5" tall. Then, with supplied clps, you attach the front trim panel to these legs.

The adjustable feet are nice, especially if you have to exactly match the height of the final countertop to something already in the bathroom/kitchen (e,g, a line of wall tiles)

BTW, this inset space below base cabinets is surprisingly important from an ergonomic standpoint. It's fairly uncomfortable to work at a cabinet if it is flush to the floor. It forces you to be back too far, etc.

thefed:
I like ERD50's idea. I built a vanity myself using nice plywood and it came out well, but you need a good table saw to make things come out square. It's much faster and easier to buy a knock-down frameless-style base cabinet (they sell them at HD and Lowes-last time I checked the ones at HD were sturdier. Look at the thickness of the particleboard.) Get one covered entirely in melamine. You can dress it up if you like: Glue on real wood veneer, or even apply solid wood overlay to the parts that show. The European-style door hinges are a dream to adjust compared to the old-style knife hinges.

Here's a source for frameless vanites and cabinets: CabParts , in case you don't find what you like at Lowes or HD. (The shipping will cost 'ya--be sure to check that out!)

Here's a really top-line outfit that will make the frameless knock-down cabinet out of anything you want (to include hardwood-veneer plywood) and will also let you choose exactly the doors you might want. Not cheap, but very nice, high-quality work: Scherr's

If you want a "traditional" vanity with a face frame, disregard all of the above.

How about going with just a pedestal sink?

I would second this idea. I think you can get a pretty decent set up for a rental for $100-200 from the big box hardware stores. Let the tenants figure out where they are gonna store their stuff... :)

Can we just call you Mr Project?
I like the vanities which look like an antique buffet or a small dresser. They sell these at the big box stores, but I always thought it would be cool to get something from a second hand store, cut a hole in the top for the sink and cut the back out for the supply and drain lines....maybe put polyurethane or other waterproof finish on the top.

the idea of building my own seems interesting. I am going for a tumbled marble italian look through the bathroom...I wonder about tiling the cabinet base somehow? I'm sure it could look neat if done right...

btw, this is for my home....not a rental

thanks for all the good ideas and links...i'll keep ya posted

Second on the second hand method. All of our cabinetry came from a deconstruction through Habitat for Humanity. They also get brand new stuff from cabinet companies that should be good deals.

Can we just call you Mr Project?
I like the vanities which look like an antique buffet or a small dresser. They sell these at the big box stores, but I always thought it would be cool to get something from a second hand store, cut a hole in the top for the sink and cut the back out for the supply and drain lines....maybe put polyurethane or other waterproof finish on the top.

A waterproof finish on wood would not last long. Instead, remove top and add a one piece top made from solid surface material. The sink is integrated. This could be a very classy look!

You know, I just found "the one". It's a 'euro-contemporary' piece at lowes, chocolate in color, $370!!!! Cant beat it for a 47" unit. $200 gets me a nice piece of granite with integrated sink from Home depot....and baaam....I'm done for 600!

Back
Top Bottom