Beards

I've had a mustache since 1968 and a full beard since 1971. I think I shaved the beard for our wedding but grew it right back. I keep it trimmed so it is neat and at a reasonable length but not so close it looks like I haven't shaved in a week or so.

Cheers!

Tried a growing goatee for a week once. I looked like the devil! Shaved it off asap.

I love beards, but my wife doesn't. Our compromise is that I can keep the long sideburns that I've had since I was 16.

Also, whenever my team makes the playoffs, I grow a full beard just for funsies.

I grew a beard right after H.S. graduation, and kept it for 23 years. Then one evening a friend of mine bet me a steak dinner that I'd never give up my full beard. I went straight home, broke out the scissors & shears, and trimmed it it a goatee & 'stache. That was a very enjoyable.....free....steak dinner!

I kept the goatee/'stache combo for about 2 or 3 years, until I shaved off the goatee because I got tired of the constant trimming required (and excessive gray in it). I still have the 'stache.

I always had fairly long hair too, until I just got tired of the need for trimming and combing all the time. I've always cut my own hair since my barber retired back in '75, so one day about 10 years ago, I broke out the shears and took in down to about 1/2" buzz. Now if it looks like I need a comb, I know it's time for the shears again.

Have had some sort of facial hair for most of my adult life. Gave up on the beard some years back when it mysteriously got thinner and grayer. Have had a goatee-mustache combo, or "circle beard" since the Nineties.

DW prefers me with a beard. Nowadays, I sport a short beard that I try to keep neatly trimmed.

My husband has a beard and I have always been much more attracted to men with beards. I think they are very masculine.

I wear the type of facial hair that DW prefers. After all, she has to look at it, not me!

My wife has never seen me sans beard.

Same here. DW seems to like it and doesn't want me to get rid of it. I've had it since my mid 20's so I expect I'll take with me to the grave.

Maintenance is minimal. I trim it once a week (I keep it short). Most days I use an electric razor on the neck and cheek areas that don't have hair - it takes a good 30 seconds and keeps everything neat and trim.

While working I shave every morning. Since retiring shave once a week.

My GF seems to like it when my beard grows in and seems disappointed after I shave it. Personally I don't mind a little scruff on myself but more than a week's worth is too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I had a beard pretty much since HS until about 40 y.o. I kept trimming it shorter and shorter and one day decided I would look better without and haven't grown it back since (except over a few vacations). I have kept the mustache forever however . Maybe one day I'll want the beard back, just not today.

I've never had a beard and when working the dress code (law enforcement) forbid it unless you were working undercover chasing drug dealers. About the time I got my pilot's license, 1976, I did grow a mustache and kept that until shortly after retirement.

I'll sometimes go a day or two without shaving but not very often, and never if I'm going anywhere. Just ingrained I guess.

I have never seen my husbands upper lip except in pictures from when he was a teenager.

He looked a little "village people" or "freddy mercury" to me - so I talked him into growing a goatee after he'd gone 2 weeks without shaving on a vacation a few years ago. He got so many complements from coworkers and friends, he decided to keep it.

He keeps it trimmed fairly close... no duck dynasty.

Back
Top Bottom