Becoming Irish

I am submitting my application for Irish citizenship tomorrow. All of my grandparents were born in Ireland. I rely on the ACA for health insurance during ER. I was diagnosed with cancer, so I can't take risks with health insurance and access to health care. Ireland has universal health care. So if the ACA goes, then I have to go.

Can you think of any other alternatives I may have, if I want to try and stay in the US after the elimination of the ACA? I can't go back to work, I am allergic to it lol.

I had posted an idea of moving to Mexico as my premiums have become almost unaffordable. Someone on that thread suggested Massachusetts or Hawaii. California has a bill for single payer in the works as well. I was able to check Hawaii's premiums, and they're 50% less than in PA. As was said on the other thread, Hawaii has had a universal health insurance plan since 1974. That or California with single payer works for me. California is home for us anyway.

Here is a table of off ACA rates in Hawaii:

https://cca.hawaii.gov/ins/files/2016/11/2017-Individual-Premium-Comparison-Off-Exchange.pdf

Congrats. The US has no problem with dual citizenship. I looked into it but never bothered. Getting the required documents was a bit of a PITA - also I waited too long. Years ago, I could have gotten Irish citizenship and then gotten it for my wife as well. Now I could only get it for me. DW doesn't appreciate the thought of being left behind.

Back
Top Bottom