Becoming More Frugal

kramer said:
Um, blow dryers use 750 to 1500 watts. I assume you are using more electricity than getting marginal utility out of the $2 razor blade.

Kramer

let's check your assumption

how long does it take to dry the blade? Assume 2 minutes. How much does electricity cost? Varies. Say $.20/kwh

If your drier uses 1500 watts, you can dry the blade 30 times for $.30. So it you can get roughly 6 months of drying for the price of a $1.80 blade. If it only takes 1 minute, you get a year for the same cost.

(did I do this right?).

FreeBird said:
  • I recently switched from the Dish 120 package (well over $400.00 year) to their newest Family Package at only $19.95/month. Luxury yes, but I consider the Fox News Channel a necessity in the current climate of biased reporting.

• If you want balance, when you are watching O'Really you should switch over to Keith Oberman during commercials. I do the reverse. :D

kcowan said:
Soak the blade in alcohol and it will last forever. Skin and hair cannot dull stainless steel. No sharpening needed. Treat yourself to a Sensor. Change the rubbing alcohol once a week. Save electricity...

I found that the alcohol dries out the moisture stip. Instead I spray the blade with the fresh shower or whatever its called that you're supposed to spray on your shower glass every day.

Blades last forever.

Are razor blades THAT expensive? I buy them bulk at the Dollar Store......... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

FinanceDude said:
Are razor blades THAT expensive? I buy them bulk at the Dollar Store......... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just paid $39 (I think?) for 16 of the Sensor blades at Costco

Personally I discovered that the cheaper blades (I think I use the two blade version of Gillette's with the moisture strip on the top) work better and last longer than the more expensive ones. Tear up my face less, too. The cheap ones have a black plastic body and the expensive ones are light grey.

Now my frugal dilemma is what to do with the ten or fifteen brand new grey blades. Don't want to use them, don't want to throw them out.

2Cor521

There are quite a few guys that are using blades...anyone besides me using electric?

Someone just happen to know whether it's cheaper with all variables considered to use blades or electric... ;)

saluki9 said:
I found that the alcohol dries out the moisture stip. Instead I spray the blade with the fresh shower or whatever its called that you're supposed to spray on your shower glass every day.

Blades last forever.
Thanks that is a great idea. I assume you are talking about Tilex? That is handier than alcohol.

DanTien said:
There are quite a few guys that are using blades...anyone besides me using electric?

Someone just happen to know whether it's cheaper with all variables considered to use blades or electric... ;)
I am pretty sure that electric is cheaper than blades when the blades are replaced. Using these blade reuse strategies means the only cost is the Tilex so probably cheaper than electric.

FreeBird said:
  • I recently switched from the Dish 120 package (well over $400.00 year) to their newest Family Package at only $19.95/month. Luxury yes, but I consider the Fox News Channel a necessity in the current climate of biased reporting. Calm down my liberal friends. :D
What normal channels are biased Freebird? ;)

DanTien said:

I used an Electric until I was 20. I just could not get a close enough shave with an electric. Been a blade man ever since! 8)

10 - Phone - just went DSL Standalone - no more land phone - just cell now.
DSL has gone from 256k to 1.5m... I'm getting your posts 6 times faster now

How do you keep your DSL while cancelling your landline? When I spoke with my Comcast rep, she said that I need to have land phoneline to be connected to DSL….

Thanks

HatePayingTaxes said:
10 - Phone - just went DSL Standalone - no more land phone - just cell now.
DSL has gone from 256k to 1.5m... I'm getting your posts 6 times faster now

How do you keep your DSL while cancelling your landline? When I spoke with my Comcast rep, she said that I need to have land phoneline to be connected to DSL….

Thanks
Qwest offers it - I do technically have a line, I even have a number, but it's not a voice line and number is only used as my account number Sounds like maybe comcast is trying to mislead people? Now why would they do that :confused: Check with your phone company. :)
Qwest didn't always do this but they are reacting because they don't want to lose all their business to Comcast

SecondCor521 said:
Now my frugal dilemma is what to do with the ten or fifteen brand new grey blades. Don't want to use them, don't want to throw them out.
Donate them to Goodwill or a local shelter and take the tax deduction?

$29.95 Remington, supplemented by el cheapo Personna twin-blades, with teflon strip; about $0.25 apiece...

I fear that I am becoming less frugal and I don't really like it. I mean, I still do all the frugal things I used to do, but I feel I've lost control somehow. (I'm thinking its harder to deny ourselves now)

DanTien said:

Someone a long time ago figured out the costs of owning an electric or using a blade - this must have been during the energy crisis we had in 73 or 79...

electric - initial cost / period of use + electricity
blade - cost + hot water + lather

can't remember if it was a wash (sorry) or not - some people worried about stuff like this back in the 70's... ;)

I use an electric. The blades do shave closer, but gave me shaving bumps. My electirc has lasted almost ten years and just recently the batteries went out. Just the price of the shaver cost me about $5-7 per year. I easily was using that much in razors per year and now I don't have to deal with the shaving bumps. I'm sure the razors could be less expensive, but I'll go without the bumps thanks.

DanTien said:
Hmm,
Why do I always feel discriminated on this forum here ;)
Are you guys sissies and shaving your legs or under your arm-pits? :confused:

sailor,
who thinks sailors look silly without facial hair ;)

For you folks that have ascess to both Costco and Sams. Which store do you prefer and why?

I love these frugality threads. I'm still using one suite long distance that I heard about on this forum.

2soon

2soon2tell said:
For you folks that have ascess to both Costco and Sams. Which store do you prefer and why?

I love these frugality threads. I'm still using one suite long distance that I heard about on this forum.

2soon

No COSTCO where I live.............. :p :p

However, a Lowes just opened 10 minutes from my house........... :D

I lowered the thermostat 1 degree Fahrenheit.

Back
Top Bottom