Bedsheets-Help With Choosing Needed

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am hanging around home today waiting for a new bed and mattress to be delivered.

It's queen size. I have a couple of sheets that I borrowed until I can get some new ones.

I have never bought sheets. It looks like Amazon has a lot for $50-$60 per set. I need suggestions. I think a high thread count feels better. Also a salesman told me to go for 1 ply, as 2 ply 600 count feels just like a 300 count. I think I want all cotton in a nice nice deep mocha color.

Any suggestions as to thread count, plies, brands, vendors, etc?

Thanks, Ha

Last edited:
Check out Overstock.com - I have bought several sheet sets from them, as I find the pricing very good. Shipping is only $2.95 and sometimes free. I find the sateen finish is very nice, and 300 and above thread count is good. I bought some 1200 thread count sheets and DH wanted to know why we had painters tarps on the bed. Then he slept on them....now he is askiing for the 1200 tc sheets at the mountain house. :)

if you can still find them...

royal sateen egyptian combed cotton. one of the few things i'll miss when i start traveling.

anyone try tencel sheets? Seems like they would be really good - i'll show my sensitive side here - tencel is made from wood fiber, drapes really well, doesn't seem to hold wrinkles much, acts like cotton w/ regard to moisture, is smoooooth to the touch - i think they would be pretty soft/smooth/sexy/cool on a bed. Don't know how tencel holds up to repeated washings though. Ha - why don't you test drive a set and report back - here's a source: Costco - Joseph Abboud® Tencel® Lyocell White Sheets

We're using some sheets from Overstock.com that had a really high thread count and were fairly inexpensive ($35?). Felt great the first time through the wash but are horrible and thin and pilled feeling thereafter. Think the high thread count translated into a short staple yarn. Sheets should feel good - spend enough time there....

Bed Bath & Beyond Product Styles

I am very particular about my sheets. I just love these...I have the Pure Beach 100% Modal 250 thread count. They feel wonderful, very soft...............:smitten:
I'll be darned - check it out - you have the Pure Beech sheets -
"These unique sheets are made from modal, a high-strength fiber regenerated from the Beechwood trees of Europe. Conducted in accordance with ecological standards and sustainability, these sheets contain no pesticides or toxic substances. The result is a fabric that is extremely soft, durable and wonderfully brilliant in color. 100% modal, 250 thread count".
Looks like tencel to me! Have you done many washings? Hard or soft water?

Depends on how much you want to spend . I've bought sheets at TJ Maxx if I wanted a plain color and I've bought whole bed sets (comforter , sheets ,pillow sham ) at Macy's on sale . I've also done bed,bath & beyond with the 20% coupon they have everywhere ( look at their website ) . I've also done overstock .com. . I prefer pure cotton sheets or those jersey sheets . I get bored with my bedroom decor often so I tend to spend less so I have no guilt about changing often.

We have a few sets of these: Signoria Firenze

We also have 20 yards of organic cotton that we're going to make our own sheets with when we get around to it.

I'll be darned - check it out - you have the Pure Beech sheets -
"These unique sheets are made from modal, a high-strength fiber regenerated from the Beechwood trees of Europe. Conducted in accordance with ecological standards and sustainability, these sheets contain no pesticides or toxic substances. The result is a fabric that is extremely soft, durable and wonderfully brilliant in color. 100% modal, 250 thread count".
Looks like tencel to me! Have you done many washings? Hard or soft water?

I've had them for about a year and a half. So about 80 washings. I consider our water more on the soft side. I wash them in cold water and dry them on delicate. I've never had problems with them pilling...I can not tolerate pilling. :p

Last edited:
Egyptian cotton has lost its meaning. Super high thread count is often poor quality and will fall apart after not too long. You want to look for long staple cotton. Pima cotton can be find. Percale weave holds up and feels soft.

Single ply is what is most important. It is rare to get super high thread counts in single ply. 300 count will be fine. We have single ply, long staple cotton 300 count sheets and they are very smooth and yet still strong. I found them googling around on the internet, sorry, I can't remember the company.

Kind of expensive, but these are nice: 400-thread count Supima® Percale Bedding - Sheets- Luxury

We use flannel most of the year. Very, very soft. Our flannel sheets are from Land's end. They were highly rated.

Last edited:
Egyptian cotton has lost its meaning. Super high thread count is often poor quality and will fall apart after not too long. You want to look for long staple cotton. Pima cotton can be find. Percale weave holds up and feels soft.

Single ply is what is most important. It is rare to get super high thread counts in single ply. 300 count will be fine. We have single ply, long staple cotton 300 count sheets and they are very smooth and yet still strong. I found them googling around on the internet, sorry, I can't remember the company.

Kind of expensive, but these are nice: 400-thread count Supima® Percale Bedding - Sheets- Luxury

We use flannel most of the year. Very, very soft. Our flannel sheets are from Land's end. They were highly rated.

Thanks for posting this info, Martha. I was wondering why some of the "high quality" Egyptian cotton sheets sold on Overstock were getting mixed reviews. Some people said they were stiff and rough!
I also recommend flannel sheets for those in cold climates.

Quality sheets, cared for properly last for years and years and in my opinion are worth the money. However there is no need to over pay. I buy mine here.
JCPenney J.C.Penny's web site. Click closeouts.

Oh, and your right. The higher the thread count the more luxurious (sp) the feel.

We have the Serta brand, mostly because we have a pillowtop mattress. We went to BBY and touched all the samples to see what we liked.

I bought some 1200 thread count sheets and DH wanted to know why we had painters tarps on the bed. Then he slept on them....now he is askiing for the 1200 tc sheets at the mountain house. :)

I always bought Supima sheets, but I hated that after about a year of washings, they became thinner and would rip easily. Then I bought a set of those 1200 "tarps." I hated them before I slept on them because they were so heavy compared to the Supimas. I was really sorry I bought them. Then, I slept on them. Oh, it was like the heavens reached down to cover you and tuck you in. What a great feeling.

Once you go flannel, you'll never go back. Land's End here too.

Don't know much about sheets, but congratulations on acquiring a significant new asset for the bachelor pad. Ha, tell us more, please.

The price of sheets has sure gone up! :eek:

(Where did the years go, anyway? :2funny:)

Years ago I hit Wally World when their cheapest cotton sheets were on sale, and bought two sets (one for each bed - - I just wash them and put them back on). A few years later, my dear deceased mother gave me another set of sheets for Christmas, so I have two sets for that bed.

I have no idea what flannel sheets, or beech sheets, or 1200 thread count sheets might possibly feel like. Hmm! Perhaps several sets of new sheets are in order, once we have moved north for ER so that I know what size bed I will have. :cool:

Thanks for all the great links, everyone!

I like flannel too. However I sleep really hot. They just overheat me. Prefer the lighter cotton sheets.

Maybe because your head is on fire! :D

I sleep hot too.....:p

Last edited:
Maybe because your head is on fire! :D

I sleep hot too.....:p

img_682709_0_521ece13a1f0451444c6bc2864fb2d56.jpg

Back
Top Bottom