Beer Question

If one enjoys more than one beer in a short period of time, my philosophy is that only the first bottle really matters. But in that case:

At my university Schaefer and Rheingold were both popular. Occasionaly someone would import some Iron City, or even Lone Star. I remember that Schaefer ad you posted. And definitely students were always having more than one, and often some shots to boot. Young women seem to be especially fond of shots, maybe because they think they will gain less weight.

Ha

Ha, back in the day, we liked Olympia (it's the water) best, as it was the easiest to gulp when playing drinking games that involved shotgunning beers, drinking out of funnels, Quarters, etc., but Schaefer's Light also fit the bill <shudder> .
I have a friend who loves Jaeger shots, which I dutifully share, but they always taste like cough syrup to me.

Ha, back in the day, we liked Olympia (it's the water) best, as it was the easiest to gulp when playing drinking games that involved shotgunning beers, drinking out of funnels, Quarters, etc., but Schaefer's Light also fit the bill <shudder> .
Oly's slogan used to be "it's the water and a lot more." I don't recall tasting "a lot more" than the water when I drank an Oly. :)

At my university Schaefer and Rheingold were both popular. Occasionaly someone would import some Iron City, or even Lone Star. I remember that Schaefer ad you posted. And definitely students were always having more than one, and often some shots to boot. Young women seem to be especially fond of shots, maybe because they think they will gain less weight.

Ha

Iron City? Someone imported that? :LOL:

I have a friend who loves Jaeger shots, which I dutifully share, but they always taste like cough syrup to me.

My poor dead brother's last conscious act was to down a quart of Jager. Not quite sipping a highland malt, is it?

Ha

Ha,
Please forgive the tasteless question, but is that what, er,
precipitated his death?

More or less, but I think he was just speeding up a work in process over the past few years. Oddly enough, after he retired from teaching is when he really started knocking 'em back.

Ha

I think Yuengling is pretty localized. It's pretty common around the DC area, but I have some friends that were from PA, and moved out to West VA, and they said that they missed their Yuengling!

I know this is gonna make me sound cheap, but I buy Yuengling sometimes as a "treat". Usually I just drink the cheap stuff, like Ice House or Bud Ice. Just $13.49 for a 30-pack case at a discount liquor store up in Laurel, MD! The Yuengling is $15.49 for a case of 24 bottles.

Turbo Dog from New Orleans is great.A dark Indian brown ale.

I know this is gonna make me sound cheap, ... Usually I just drink the cheap stuff, like Ice House or Bud Ice. Just $13.49 for a 30-pack case at a discount liquor store up in Laurel, MD! The Yuengling is $15.49 for a case of 24 bottles.

I have no problem with 'cheap', but I do question the sophistication of your palate ;)

Here's an option - instead of reaching for one of those mass produced lowest-common-denominator 'beers', just have a nice ice water (or sparkling water) with a slice of lemon. It'll have more flavor, be cheaper and have fewer calories. And it will quench your thirst just fine.

Take the $13.49 and buy a sixer or maybe two of some craft brewed beer. Savor them. For me, six craft brews are a much better value than 30 mega-swills. Same $ out-of-pocket. But different strokes for different folks, just a suggestion.

Turbo Dog from New Orleans is great.A dark Indian brown ale.

Yes, a very nice brown ale. From Abita as Sarah pointed out.

-ERD50

I think Yuengling is pretty localized. It's pretty common around the DC area, but I have some friends that were from PA, and moved out to West VA, and they said that they missed their Yuengling!

I know this is gonna make me sound cheap, but I buy Yuengling sometimes as a "treat". Usually I just drink the cheap stuff, like Ice House or Bud Ice. Just $13.49 for a 30-pack case at a discount liquor store up in Laurel, MD! The Yuengling is $15.49 for a case of 24 bottles.

See, we differ there. I'd rather spend the extra $.20 per bottle and skip the mountain goat piss.:LOL:

Or you could go homebrew. Mine average under a dollar a bottle, many about $.60, and are VERY good.:duh:

Know what homebrewers call Bud Light? Reusable bottles that include free beer samples.

ERD, I agree with you on the quality of the craft brews (and Keim with the value of homebrew), but I still side with Andre on the cheap stuff. We have a great time sampling the craft brews, but we don't get all involved in the brewing process. Maybe I just like it all!

On a hot day, a Miller Lite is a fine thirst quencher after some yard work and waaaay better than that sparkling water 'cause you can crush the can and throw it in the back of the truck before climbing back on the tractor.

But I've been known to pull a $100 bar tab at a nice Irish pub with real pint glasses and a great selection of local beers.

On a hot day, a Miller Lite is a fine thirst quencher after some yard work...

This is true. Homebrewers can't beat B-M-C beer at its game. It would be very tough to produce a brew as crisp, clean and nearly tasteless. We simply don't have access to the filtration systems. HBers go for full and flavorful styles instead. We certainly couldn't brew a clone for less than the cost of a B-M-C beer.

This is one of those rare occasions where cheap CAN be good. If you like beer that is intended to be crisp, clean and nearly tasteless.

Since we seem to have quite a few who are able to enjoy better beers, you might consider a visit to the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. It's the big annual bash where brewers from all over the country show off their best, and you can taste to your heart's content.

This year it's 16-18 September at the Colorado Convention Center. Unfortunately, it's completely sold out already, but you might like to put it on your calendar for next year (September 2011).

I've always thought the GABF is something everyone should experience at least once. I'll be out there starting a few days before the festival, since I'm one of the judges for the beer competition. This will be at least the tenth one I've done, and I still enjoy the heck out of it.

2010 Great American Beer Festival

Love to. But the cost of travel would seriously eat into my homebrew budget.
:D
Since we seem to have quite a few who are able to enjoy better beers, you might consider a visit to the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. It's the big annual bash where brewers from all over the country show off their best, and you can taste to your heart's content.

This year it's 16-18 September at the Colorado Convention Center. Unfortunately, it's completely sold out already, but you might like to put it on your calendar for next year (September 2011).

I've always thought the GABF is something everyone should experience at least once. I'll be out there starting a few days before the festival, since I'm one of the judges for the beer competition. This will be at least the tenth one I've done, and I still enjoy the heck out of it.

2010 Great American Beer Festival

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom