Votes: 74 29.5%
  • Wine/wine based cocktails

Votes: 58 23.1%
  • Beer/hard cider-seltzer

Votes: 67 26.7%
  • None

Votes: 52 20.7%

• Total voters
I've been a drinker since I was legal...age 18. Mostly beer then over the years developed a taste for good bourbon. I do a 'Dry January' each year as a gut check... 'that I can' so to speak. After one such Jan a few years ago I realized how good I felt, better I slept and really didn't miss drinking alcohol so i haven't had any in 3-4 years. I say I'm 'taking a break' but who knows, maybe I've quit permanently. The only time I miss booze is when I'm around college friends at a football game or after a round of golf and we go to the 19th hole for a couple cold beers. I highly recommend you give it a try even if you don't have a problem with alcohol!

I tend to like red wine in the fall/winter, rose/chard as it warms up. Stouts and porters in the fall, ales in the fall and winter, weizen/hefe in the summer spring. Lambics for the holidays.

If it stays in the 80's for a few weeks I might lean toward a gin and tonic.

I've been making ciders for the past several years
That's probably my favorite drink now. But I'll have a good IPA or glass of wine once in a while also.

Equal preferences, so I didn't vote in the poll.

- Red wine: good Cabs, Barolos, Bordeaux (especially Pomerols)
- Dry, yeasty champagne like Lawson with chocolate truffles
- Ruinart's Brut Rose NV Champagne with multi-course meals; it literally goes with almost anything
- Bourbon, but unfortunately I started out drinking Pappy Van Winkle 21 yr old Reserve when it was cheap and easily available, sigh. Had I known....I could have gotten two or three cases and stashed it away, LOL. Then I found the Jefferson 10 yr Straight Rye, but THAT got popular, sold out, and their subsequent offerings went downhill.
- Rum, except that my BIL visited Cuba for the brief time it was allowed, and brought me back their mid-priced rum, 7 yrs old, dark and rich, from the original Bacardi facility. It beats anything I've bought on the retail market, even the aged 21 yr old Zacapa.

And the worst part? Before my BIL left I offered to give him money and he waved it off. When he brought this back, I tried it at home with a friend and we were IN AWE. I asked him how much it cost and he said....

"$15"

My mouth dropped open, and he said hesitantly, "Maybe I should have bought the 15-yr old rum? That was $22."

!!!!!

I didn't vote, because I hardly ever drink. I probably average 1 drink a month. When I do drink, it's usually beer, as it seems to result in less acid reflux.

Thinking about it, my average might even be less than a drink a month. I can take it or leave it. Most of the time, I can't get excited enough at the thought of having a drink to actually have one. Once in a blue moon though, a quality beer in the right company, combined with a good conversation, really hits the spot.

I do regularly get quite fired up at the thought of a nice cup of tea though.

Last edited:
I call for revote considering AGE category. Love me some Scotch at age 66; my dad soon to be 97, and still takes a nip every now and then. They did something right over in Scotland, I say.

I used to be a big white wine drinker, but now as I have gotten older I don't care for it surprisingly.

I like margaritas in the summer and white russians, and my fav- Irish cream- in winter.

Our son works in a brewery and got me to try some beers and I will have a hazy IPA once in a while with a lunch if I'm out.

I call for revote considering AGE category. Love me some Scotch at age 66; my dad soon to be 97, and still takes a nip every now and then. They did something right over in Scotland, I say.

That's me and I'm 70. I love wine and like beer on the regular visits my friend and I take to Mexican restaurants but I watch calories and carbs so those are irregular indulgences.

My pantry right now has 5 bottles of Scotch (2 I just bought from Cadenhead's shop in London, cask-strength, poured straight from a single cask of the major distillers) as well as a locally-bottled wheat whisky and some Aguardiente from Galapagos.

I have 2 ounces of Scotch as a nightcap and I measure it. Usually it's just the Kirkland Blended but when I want to treat myself I bring out the good stuff.

I used to be a big white wine drinker, but now as I have gotten older I don't care for it surprisingly.

Same here, although I wouldn't say I don't care for it at all... just less than I used to. Much more into good, full-bodied reds these days. I only drink white wines about 2-3 times/month, whereas I used to drink whites (mostly sauv blanc and pinot grigio) at least twice a week.

I am not a mixed drink drinker. I prefer a neat Bourbon or simply, Jack. One a day. I converted to neat years ago when going to countries where you don't want to drink the local water (or ice). I've kept that habit since. I will do beer on occasion.

Bourbon: Old Fashioned, neat
Scotch: neat, single malt
Irish: neat
Rum: w tonic, Cuba Libre (Coke, not Pepsi), Painkiller, Mai Tai, Hurricane, Dark & Stormy, Mojito, Planters Punch, The Hemingway
Tequila: Mezcal Margarita, Paloma
Gin: w tonic, Negroni
Vodka: Bloody Mary, Transfusion, Moscow Mule
Liqueurs: Limoncello, B&B, Sambuca, Drambuie, Grand Marnier, Cognac

Beer: porter, stout, wheat, hazy IPA - really anything but a bitter/hoppy West Coast IPA of a Shandy (yuck)

Wine: all Reds, dry Champagne - no whites

Last edited:
DB had this extra aged tequila on hand. It was amazing. For sipping like Cognac.

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 5
Bourbon... Old Forester 1910, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Buffalo Trace

For the bourbon drinkers... what are some of your favorites?

Angels Envy, Basil Hayden’s, Maker’s Mark, Templeton, Larceny, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace.

Back
Top Bottom