Believe it or not, I'm a daddy.......again

Congratulations, he's a beauty. He is a lucky dog.

Please, what does ·"crate training" mean?
Show some courtesy to a faithful Spanish poster:)r- I´m trying my best;)

Please, what does ·"crate training" mean?
Show some courtesy to a faithful Spanish poster:)r- I´m trying my best;)

It just means you teach your dog to stay in a crate at times as in the below pic. Mine looks similar. When you have a young pup they are prone to get into stuff when your not around so it keeps them safe and out of trouble. And a dog likes his little den space.

The first night he cried a little but settled down and slept just fine. Last night, much much better. He slept all the way through. When he matures, I wouldn't mind him sleeping in my room on a dog pillow. But right now he wants to explore a little too much. But crates are great when going out at night and keeping your dog safe and out of trouble.

dog-crate.jpg

The previous owner certainly worked with this dog some. He knows the sit command, down and stay command(a little). Needs some work but got a head start on the game. The paper work from the rescue groups says he knows the come-come command with hand signals and water retrieval commands. But does state work needed on all. I can't wait to take him to our local hiking trail with lake. :)

I always used crates when my shelties were young because they are such chewers. My current boy chewed drywall until he was about 2 years old unless you were right there with him. No way to guess how many drywall patch jobs we did. Our girl who passed away a few years ago chewed lamp cords in two, and chewed the legs on furniture. The crate kept them out of trouble when I couldn't supervise. Also helps with the housebreaking. We had the more open, all wire type crate, and I covered it with a blanket on one end for a cozy feel. My girl dog was a biter, so I would put her in her crate when people came to the house; this was for everyone's safety!

Crates...keeping your dog safe and out of trouble.

...with hand signals and water retrieval commands. But does state work needed on all. I can't wait to take him to our local hiking trail with lake. :)
Have fun training your new kid! :D

Crates are the best for dogs with separation anxiety and those who insist on chewing things that can hurt them. I still have to crate my bigger dog (of "Better run, Squirrel!" fame) when I'm out. He got sideswiped by a car right after I adopted him and got his noodle rattled a bit, so I cut him some slack. He's a good boy otherwise. :)
Hand signals...I was able to teach Rocket Dog from puppyhood, using verbal and hand at the same time, eventually migrating to no verbal and only hand signals. She is great with those.
The Squirrel Patrol dog learned most of the hand signals also, even though I got him when he was a year and a few months.

Back
Top Bottom