Best place to buy furniture (esp. online)

bank5

Recycles dryer sheets
My DW and I could really use some furniture. I like more contemporary and she like mores of a Pottery Barn type style so we hardly ever have any luck finding stuff that we both like in stores.

Does anyone have any recommendations for buying furniture online? I know it's taking a bit of a chance since it's tough to tell the build quality but it should at least give us some ideas.

Sorry, no help here. My decor is best described as "late-20th century yardsale"...

My DW and I could really use some furniture. I like more contemporary and she like mores of a Pottery Barn type style so we hardly ever have any luck finding stuff that we both like in stores.

Does anyone have any recommendations for buying furniture online? I know it's taking a bit of a chance since it's tough to tell the build quality but it should at least give us some ideas.

Those two styles cannot be combined well. Why not let her rule the house, and you get to choose the important stuff like what CD to put on in the evening?

Ha

Over the years we're bought a lot of furniture directly from stores in N.Carolina. One of our favorites was The Quality Furniture Mart. Shop around for stores in Hickory, Statesboro, Lenoir, etc. Can't remember all of them but we used to go to local furniture stores until we found something we liked, got the numbers off it and went to Quality Furniture Mart to see if they carried that item. Saved a lot of money and no tax, but then the state of Florida caught up with that. It's been quite a while and don't know how that would work today. Stores are still there as we have visited them many times.

Those two styles cannot be combined well. Why not let her rule the house, and you get to choose the important stuff like what CD to put on in the evening?

Ha

Yeah, she usually wins out :)

Over the years we're bought a lot of furniture directly from stores in N.Carolina. One of our favorites was The Quality Furniture Mart. Shop around for stores in Hickory, Statesboro, Lenoir, etc. Can't remember all of them but we used to go to local furniture stores until we found something we liked, got the numbers off it and went to Quality Furniture Mart to see if they carried that item. Saved a lot of money and no tax, but then the state of Florida caught up with that. It's been quite a while and don't know how that would work today. Stores are still there as we have visited them many times.

I haven't been to Quality Furniture Mart but we might be taking a trip out there in June so I'd like to check it out.

We went to Furniture Land South in High Point, NC the other weekend. They have 1.5 million sq feet of space. Most of the stuff is high end, unique and traditional -- not really our style though. We saw a bedroom set that we liked but weren't in love with it so decided to wait.

I have bought from Holton's in NC. It appears they have been taken over or merged with Tysons. I bought a Thomasville dining room table with 8 chairs and a matching china cabinet including shipping for about 50% less than I could get it locally. Check it out.

In Illinois I like Valuecity Value City Furniture - Home Page . They seem to have a lot of stores. Years ago they seemed to sell cheap looking stuff but in the last few years quality has improved. Was on their website yesterday looking for a bed and mattress set. They had hundreds of styles and even some matress with the Martha Stewart name. Shopping with pictures is helpful.

http://www.vcf.com

Why buy new (except for maybe stuffed furniture)? Check out vintage furniture offered on Craig's list, auctions and resale shops. Half the fun is figuring out what you want.

A few months ago a beautiful Stickley dining room set was on consignment near Portland, OR. If I were in need I would have snagged it.

Back
Top Bottom