Best vehicle (station wagon) for under $30K

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My spouse's station wagon will go over 200,000 miles soon which is our minimum mileage before shopping for a replacement vehicle.  She doesn't want a sedan, minivan, truck, nor SUV.  The vehicle should get decent gas mileage and have a top rated safety rating ... and seat 7.  Any ideas?

Edit: I started this thread just for Maddy, but it's a serious question.

Seating for 7 in a modern wagon -- maybe the big Mercedes. I think you're going to have to trade off the seating capacity vs. cost and mileage, or go for a minivan or suv. The Subaru's are great if you need AWD but I don't think they seat 7.

What would you consider to be a wagon, a vehicle that's based on a unit-body design instead of a body-on-frame design? If that is the only consideration, then wouldn't a Toyota Highlander qualify? It seats 7 with the optional third-row seat. If your defintion of an SUV is what the manufacturer designates as an SUV, then nothing comes to my mind that would fit your requirements.

Looks like for new you're limited to the volvo, the dodge magnum, and the pontiac vibe/toyota matrix. Some might consider the outback and forrester station wagons. All except the volvo in your price range.

That "whats an SUV and whats a station wagon exactly?" question is a good one.

Subaru would have done it until you said "seats 7". I don't think there is a good choice in the few wagons that seat 7.

Oh yeah, missed the seats 7 requirement.

I think you're stuck with a minivan or a suzuki xl-7 or honda pilot to seat that many.

Yep, it's the price range.  I can't convince my spouse to go with the E55 AMG Estate wagon, the BMW wagon or the Audi wagon.

Difference between wagon and SUV: height.

We already have a Lexus SUV, so she wants something that has a lower center-of-gravity like her Camry wagon.  Subaru Outback is a good choice.  Doesn't have to seat 7 adults, but sometimes 4 adults and 3 kids. All her friends have Pilots and Highlanders, so she has to be different.

Given those parameters and exclusions, I think you're down to the Ford Freestyle, which will seat up to 7 if a couple of them are really compact.

Man do I hate Fords though...

LOL! said:
My spouse's station wagon will go over 200,000 miles soon which is our minimum mileage before shopping for a replacement vehicle.
Ooh ooh, I'll take it!! What wagon model/year is it, and can you ship it over here?

Well, if you can tolerate seating only 6, try the Mazda 5. Although some would say it's a small minivan, it's also more like a tall wagon. We were very impressed, and it is a bargain. You can get Nav, Cruise, 6CD changer, and the handling of a Mazda 3, along with good mileage, for under $22K. Even a manual transmission if you so desire. Plus you can fold the rear row of seats for a lot of versatility when you don't need to carry more than 4 people.

If you want leather and HID headlights, the 2007 version will also have these and I suspect the price will still be well under $25K.

The Mazda 6 also comes in a sports wagon. Don't remember if it will seat 7, but the one I saw seemed to have a heck of a lot of space.

The mazda 6 and freestyle are going to come off similar, with the freestyle being slightly larger, since mazda, ford and volvo are all in the same bucket these days. The mazda 6 is built on the mazda/ford designed cd3 platform, while the freestyle is built on the volvo/ford d3 platform. Yep, the freestyle is built on the same platform as most of the volvo products, including I think all of the wagons. The compact-d3 (cd3) platform is due to be the base for both the next gen freestyle and the mazda 6, I think next year or the year after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_D3_platform
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CD3_platform

To clarify, the Mazda 6 is a conventional wagon; I dont believe it seats more than 5.

The Mazda 5 is a European-style "space-wagon" that seats six people in three rows of two.

LOL! said:
Yep, it's the price range.  I can't convince my spouse to go with the E55 AMG Estate wagon, the BMW wagon or the Audi wagon.

Difference between wagon and SUV: height.

We already have a Lexus SUV, so she wants something that has a lower center-of-gravity like her Camry wagon.  Subaru Outback is a good choice.  Doesn't have to seat 7 adults, but sometimes 4 adults and 3 kids.  All her friends have Pilots and Highlanders, so she has to be different.

Hmmm, maybe you can still get the Volvo V70 with the pop-up rear-facing seats?

Hmm...carsdirect says a little over 26k for the base v70 with the 3rd seat, stick shift, yada yada...surprised they're whacking 5k off the sticker...but maybe they're having trouble moving them.

At that price point I'd forget about the other vehicles. Base pilot would be a little cheaper and has a few more niceties like an automatic tranny, but the volvos definitely more 'station wagonney'. At just a few bucks cheaper I wouldnt even look at the freestyle or the mazda options.

It's getting closer to decision time. Spouse has narrowed it down to Toyota RAV4 and Subaru Outback wagon. I've seen alot of positive's about the Outback, nothing much on the RAV4, but it is one of the most popular sellers in the last year.

If you like to help buy cars vicariously (saw alot of that on Brewer's thread), now's your chance to chime in. Thanks!

I have always driven Subarus since I learned to drive at 16. I have a Forester and DH has a Legacy. He is looking at an Outback wagon for his next car. I will never drive anything other than a Subaru. I get about 30 mpg (manual shift). Of course, we really need the AWD where we live.

OK, so you are 17 years old and married at a young age? :)

DW just bought the newly styled RAV4 V6 a few months ago. Limited edition with all the toys and leather seats, but not with the 3rd row. Quite frankly, that 3rd row is not very comfortable looking - wouldn't want to put anyone there very often.

Notwithstanding that, so far I have been very impressed with its handling, features, and certainly tons of horsepower. No problems whatsoever at this point in time.

dont think you will go wrong between those two choices. i would go with toyota, but i hear good things about the subaru

only problem i had with the rav 4 was the awd system stinks....its more a front wheel drive with rear wheel assist at times...having had full 4 wheel drive vehicles prior i never had a problem with unloading my jet ski in a sandy area ...the rav 4 spins and takes some work each time to get off the sandy ramp.the bmw x3 i just got handles it like a charm with its awd system too......if you arent buying the rav4 for anything more than light snow its fine

I suspect you already know what I think. Unless they somehow ruin the product, I am a Subaru customer for life.

Having said that, I don't think you could go wrong with either. Have you checked crash test and IIHS ratings? I put the most stock on the bodly injury loss data at www.carsafety.org although I also pay attention to their crash tests as well.

We've got two rav4's in the family. A 2001 and a 2004 that my dad bought because we had good luck with our 2001.

They seem rather tall for the 'station wagon' qualifier!

The good:

Great gas mileage...25-30 depending on whether its mixed or all highway. Good visibility. With the rear seats out its an excellent hauler of stuff and dogs. Decent ride and handling. Maintenance is pretty easy on ours...you sit in front of the car and reach under and the oil filter and drain plug are right there up front on the bottom just behind the bumper. No reliability issues.

The bad:

Interiors a bit noisy, lots of hard plastic without a lot of muffling, but you're getting a lot of car for the money so some corners needed to be cut. In what seems to be standard in many japanese cars, the 'auto up/down' drivers window can be a pain in the butt to get to open just an inch or two...it wants to go all the way up or down so you have to flick the switch sometimes 4-5 times before you can make it move just a little. Do not, I repeat, do not get the sunroof. It vibrates, rattles, and if you open only the back windows when you go over 40mph it starts violently popping up and down. Whoever engineered that sucker needs to be shot, its obviously a poorly done el cheapo item added in after the model was designed. Oddly, the rear tailgate simply opens in the wrong direction, from the left. If you're parallel parked and want to load some stuff from the curb, you have to put your stuff in the street, open the door, put your stuff in the car, close the door, go back to the curb and get more stuff. Its perfect for people in japan, england and other places where they drive and park on the wrong side of the road. The seats in ours are great but dont fold the back ones down and then put any sort of weight on them...theres some cheap thin plastic backing that just crushes...bad planning IMO.

In this category I'd look at the honda CRV and the Scion xB. At the time I bought our rav the honda was due for a makeover and the rav had just gotten one. I think the newer CRV was better than the rav, but now the rav's had another makeover.

Without even seeing the car, I can say for sure that adding a little length to it and a 3rd seat cant be good. I cant imagine anybody other than preemies being put in that 3rd seat, and they'd have to tuck in their feet.

Cant compare much with the subaru. I've only driven one forrester and one outback and hated both of them. If you're short you might like them more than I did. I found the seats and driving position very awkward and uncomfortable. It was a few years back, but they also liked to do enough oddball things a la Saab to make getting in the car and driving it the first time a little more complicated...IIRC they have the key between the seats and the heating controls were unusually labeled and laid out.

Back
Top Bottom