Best vehicle (station wagon) for under $30K

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
theres some cheap thin plastic

Back when I was shopping for a new car, I took a look at the RAV and "cheap plastic" was the first thing that I noticed inside. The price tag is pretty low for an SUV, though, so you have to make allowances. I decided that I didn't need an SUV that badly and ended up buying a Camry for way less than a RAV would have cost me.

Cant compare much with the subaru.  I've only driven one forrester and one outback and hated both of them.  If you're short you might like them more than I did.  I found the seats and driving position very awkward and uncomfortable.

At one point I took a Forrester for what I call "an extended test drive": a couple of weeks in the mountains of the Pacific NW. (There are some advantages to my peripatetic lifestyle  :p ) It handled differently than most cars I have driven and generally felt, um, weird. I am not sure if I could get used to it, but when I was in the market for a new car some time later, I decided not to chance it. I guess the lesson is to test drive your cars thoroughly before you buy them.

Scrooge said:
At one point I took a Forrester for what I call "an extended test drive": a couple of weeks in the mountains of the Pacific NW. (There are some advantages to my peripatetic lifestyle  :p ) It handled differently than most cars I have driven and generally felt, um, weird. I am not sure if I could get used to it, but when I was in the market for a new car some time later, I decided not to chance it. I guess the lesson is to test drive your cars thoroughly before you buy them.

Not sure what you are referring to exactly, but Subaru's have flat 4 (boxer) engines. This tends to give the a lower center of gravity than would otherwise tend to be the case, so handling is different. Much less tippy.

I have several vehicles right now, front wheel drive Ford Focus, real wheel drive Mazda Miata and 1985 VW camper and 4 wheel drive Jeep Cherokee. They all drive differently. A lot of it is preference, the Miata is fun and the rear wheel drive adds to steering control in turns. Most people (those that don't drive sports cars) prefer front wheel drive. It "pulls" through corners and provides some comfort Vs control/performance. The 4WD/AWD are interesting. Once you get familiar with a performance car with AWD (Mitsubishi, Audi, Subaru WRX...) you will come to love it and feel a loss with anything else. But it is personal experience and preference.
For a number of reasons, although I do not own one, I really love the Subaru products. My older son has one and I did put one of their engines in my old VW camper. Their engines are great and they really understand 4WD, which I like. But I do like 4WD and at least annually do go to Death Valley, but that is what the Cherokee is for
:D

Well we are looking at the Honda Fit sport model it isn't a station wagon but it is good on gas about 34 in the city and the price is not bad abut 17000..any one here know anything about them this will be a second car.

Kathyet

kathyet said:
Well we are looking at the Honda Fit sport model it isn't a station wagon but it is good on gas about 34 in the city and the price is not bad abut 17000..any one here know anything about them this will be a second car.

Kathyet

I bet insurance rates for the car will be ugly if you are in a state with high average premiums. What happens when a 5000 pound SUV hits one of them?

brewer12345 said:
Not sure what you are referring to exactly, but Subaru's have flat 4 (boxer) engines.  This tends to give the a lower center of gravity than would otherwise tend to be the case, so handling is different.  Much less tippy.

Yes, the handling was different, although I am not sure I can describe the difference. It seemed to be subject to crosswinds much more than you would expect from a sedan with a lower center of gravity  The road noise was not only relatively loud, but also, um, different.

Oh, I don't know, it just felt different! Damn it, Jim, I am a doctor computer guy, not a race car driver!  :D

I felt the same way. Drove it in a mild snowstorm with some good wind and it felt tippy to me for such a low vehicle. Did great in the snow though...

Still not sure what you guys have in mind. FWIW, I found the forrester to be a lot bouncier and less stable than the legacy when I test drove 2003 versions of both. Bought the legacy.

My husband's legacy has a sport suspension and it makes me carsick to ride in it. I can drive it fine.

On the RAV4
Interiors a bit noisy, lots of hard plastic without a lot of muffling, but you're getting a lot of car for the money so some corners needed to be cut.

The local dealer can add a "sound proofing" package. Anybody heard of that?

The 2006 RAV4 is a totally different vehicle due to it being totally re-designed. So it cannot be compared to earlier models. It is essentially the same dimensions as the Honda CR-V now. DW had made a decision late 2005 to buy a CR-V (after having also looked at the Subarus) but then the new RAV4 came out and that won her over. The RAV4 has essentially stolen sales from the slightly larger and bulkier Highlander at considerably less cost. The decision really comes down to personal preferences.

kathyet said:

Kathyet

?? A Honda Civic can be had for 14.5k and gets 32/40mpg with an automatic. I don't get the selling point of the Fit.

Laurence said:
?? A Honda Civic can be had for 14.5k and gets 32/40mpg with an automatic.  I don't get the selling point of the Fit.

The OP is looking to seat 7. Kinda tough to do that in a Civic.

Laurence said:
?? A Honda Civic can be had for 14.5k and gets 32/40mpg with an automatic. I don't get the selling point of the Fit.

Unfortunately Honda does not make the civic hatchback (or wagon) anymore.

I've driven my Sube Outback in deep snow -- it's incredible. Mine has 100K now. Handles well. The engine is a bit noisy but is strong. I get around 24mpg around town. Need to start thinking about the timing belt soon. Brakes lasted 95K with room to spare.

LOL! said:
On the RAV4
The local dealer can add a "sound proofing" package. Anybody heard of that?

Five cans of expanding spray foam and the guy they hired yesterday that they dont trust to do oil changes yet ;)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
For the "parts"...now for the "labor"...

Gives a whole new meaning to getting "serviced" at the dealership...

The Honda Fit seats 4, it is 4 doors as well, and the back seat goes down flat and it's great for our 2 dogs it will be our second car, we have the accord 6 EX  and are real happy with that. Haven't checked on the insurance yet it is about $15000 not 17 sorry about that, and it is a standard not a shift....this will replace our Miata so were going from small to a little bigger getting into a fender bender with an SUV would hurt most cars were in the looking stage so far were also looking at the Chevy HHR but leaning towards the fit there is a 3 month waiting list for the fit....

Kathyet

A tad too much coffee for you today?

Thanks once again for all the help with this.  Test drove a RAV4 and my elbows didn't fit right in it. Also test drove a Subaru Outback wagon, but DW had no special feeling for it.

Bought a Ford Freestyle which fits my elbows nicely.
It cost less than our Toyota Camry wagon purchased in 1995.

LOL! said:
Thanks once again for all the help with this.  Test drove a RAV4 and my elbows didn't fit right in it.  Also test drove a Subaru Outback wagon, but DW had no special feeling for it.

Bought a Ford Freestyle which fits my elbows nicely.
It cost less than our Toyota Camry wagon purchased in 1995.

Good luck with the Ford...............unfortunately they STILL haven't figured the quality control thing out..............:(

But there's always hope.........:)

I heard Honda is bringing back the Accord wagon...........that would be sweet..........

Also, Hyundai has an intriguing new minivan, 11 airbags and under $28000 loaded......................:)

Back
Top Bottom