Join Early Retirement Today
Best Way to Recycle Ink Jet Cartridges?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Best Way to Recycle Ink Jet Cartridges?

It has been a while since we discussed this. I find myself with a bunch of spent ink jet cartridges and a new laser printer.

So, these days, what is the best way to turn old ink jet cartridges into cash or merchandise?

Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Does Office Depot (Office Max) still give a free ream of paper when you turn in cartridges? I need some paper!

pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Use to use Office depot, not any more. Their new rewards plan not worth the effort for me.

Also, Office Max, had a plan, again, for me not worth the trouble.

For my inkjet printer, use for copies and color, I just get the cart's refilled at Costco. Just started using their service. So far, great. No issues.
and if you have any problems, Costco, backs their refills.

By refilling used carts, you don't have any carts to get rid of.

For black and white. I use laser printers. Toner carts, last forever. Get
4-5 thousand pages per toner. (depends on amount of print per page).
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just looked at their sites yesterday. Get $2/cartridge. Max 10 cartridges/mo. Is that the old policy or new? If the old, how bad is the new?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I used to use Staples recycling for $2 cartridge. I buy Sophia Global cartridges on Amazon for around $2 a cartridge so our ink costs went to net zero.

Now the current requirements are to spend at least $30 on ink or toner in the prior 180 days to qualify for recycling rewards. As a result, I am stockpiling my used cartridges to recycle at least a few months worth of cartridges (max $20 a month) to come out ahead of the $30 spend requirements.

I haven't looked into the other office store programs, since there is a Staples on the way to where we do our grocery shopping, so it doesn't take much extra time to just drop off the cartridges there.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote