Best way to ship a canvas painting?

Scratchy

Recycles dryer sheets
I need to ship 24" x 36" canvas painting (unframed) from Los Angeles to Kansas. It can't be rolled, has to remain flat. Wondering where to take it to take it to get it wrapped up, boxed, and shipped for a reasonable price? Value of the painting is not high-about $200. Thanks for any suggestions!

I had one shipped by the local UPS store. Packing and shipping was expensive.

Go buy two cardboard boxes at Home Depot. Keep them flat/double thick. Place the canvas between the two with some bubble wrap and tape around the edges. Drive it to UPS or USPS. You’ll be many dollars ahead.

For that size, UPS ground will be your best shipment/carrier method. So it's probably a good idea to have them pack it for you as well. Neither will be cheap, but outsourcing the packing to them increases the odds it arrives in good shape.

Retail boxes and packaging that size are pricey to begin with. If you do decide to pack it yourself, imagine your finished parcel is going to be punted, more than once, before it reaches the destination. No fragile or "this side up" sticker is going to be of any use, and the 4ft drop test minimum guidance is too minimal for something bulky.

For that size, UPS ground will be your best shipment/carrier method. So it's probably a good idea to have them pack it for you as well. Neither will be cheap, but outsourcing the packing to them increases the odds it arrives in good shape.

Retail boxes and packaging that size are pricey to begin with. If you do decide to pack it yourself, imagine your finished parcel is going to be punted, more than once, before it reaches the destination. No fragile or "this side up" sticker is going to be of any use, and the 4ft drop test minimum guidance is too minimal for something bulky.

Having just bought a bunch of boxes at HD for moving, I can tell you that they should run $1.50 - $1.75 each.
Having UPS pack it will be 10x - 20x that price.

I did this recently through Fed Ex, they packaged and mailed cross country. About $220. We had no other way to get it where it needed to go.

Go buy two cardboard boxes at Home Depot. Keep them flat/double thick. Place the canvas between the two with some bubble wrap and tape around the edges. Drive it to UPS or USPS. You’ll be many dollars ahead.
Cardboard boxes are easily punctured as is the painting in that box. If doing it yourself, I'd sandwich the painting between 2 sheets of hardboard / Masonite, and then box it. Hardboard is pretty inexpensive but will add to the shipping weight.

I recently shipped a framed 16x20" painting. I took it to a local "postal & shipping center" - they boxed the painting for me and handed it off to whatever shipper was least expensive for my destination. It cost $57, but it wasn't shipped as far as yours is going.

Search your local YellowPages for 'packaging service' and make sure they're experienced shipping artwork:
https://www.yellowpages.com/search?search_terms=packaging+service&geo_location_terms=Los+Angeles,+CA

And insure it for the $200 plus shipping cost.

Just curious -- why can't it be rolled? That's a fairly common method of shipping paintings.

How to Safely Roll Up a Finished Canvas Painting

How to Roll up a Painted Canvas

Having just bought a bunch of boxes at HD for moving, I can tell you that they should run $1.50 - $1.75 each.
Having UPS pack it will be 10x - 20x that price.

I did this recently through Fed Ex, they packaged and mailed cross country. About $220. We had no other way to get it where it needed to go.

Cardboard boxes are easily punctured as is the painting in that box. If doing it yourself, I'd sandwich the painting between 2 sheets of hardboard / Masonite, and then box it. Hardboard is pretty inexpensive but will add to the shipping weight.

I had one shipped by the local UPS store. Packing and shipping was expensive.

No idea, but I'm guessing it will cost you more than $200 to ship it. Let us know what you find.

Somehow I missed the replies to my question above :( Many thanks to each person for the helpful information and suggestions. I did end up going to a local postage and shipping center. A very nice lady there packed it nicely, charging me a bit for packing material. Total cost was about $38 and the painting arrived in perfect condition :dance:

Have posted a photo of the painting below. :) Again many thanks to all for replying!

Braumeister, rolling would have made things easier, but the painting had quite a bit of surface texture to it which seemed to me to rule out rolling it.

painting.jpg

Somehow I missed the replies to my question above :( Many thanks to each person for the helpful information and suggestions. I did end up going to a local postage and shipping center. A very nice lady there packed it nicely, charging me a bit for packing material. Total cost was about $38 and the painting arrived in perfect condition :dance:

Have posted a photo of the painting below. :) Again many thanks to all for replying!

Braumeister, rolling would have made things easier, but the painting had quite a bit of surface texture to it which seemed to me to rule out rolling it.

View attachment 32474

where's the poker table:confused:?

Back
Top Bottom