Join Early Retirement Today

Best way to ship a canvas painting?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best way to ship a canvas painting?

I need to ship 24" x 36" canvas painting (unframed) from Los Angeles to Kansas. It can't be rolled, has to remain flat. Wondering where to take it to take it to get it wrapped up, boxed, and shipped for a reasonable price? Value of the painting is not high-about $200. Thanks for any suggestions!

Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
No idea, but I'm guessing it will cost you more than $200 to ship it. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I had one shipped by the local UPS store. Packing and shipping was expensive.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently shipped a framed 16x20" painting. I took it to a local "postal & shipping center" - they boxed the painting for me and handed it off to whatever shipper was least expensive for my destination. It cost $57, but it wasn't shipped as far as yours is going.

Search your local YellowPages for 'packaging service' and make sure they're experienced shipping artwork:
https://www.yellowpages.com/search?s...+Angeles%2C+CA
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go buy two cardboard boxes at Home Depot. Keep them flat/double thick. Place the canvas between the two with some bubble wrap and tape around the edges. Drive it to UPS or USPS. You’ll be many dollars ahead.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Go buy two cardboard boxes at Home Depot. Keep them flat/double thick. Place the canvas between the two with some bubble wrap and tape around the edges. Drive it to UPS or USPS. You’ll be many dollars ahead.
And insure it for the $200 plus shipping cost.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Just curious -- why can't it be rolled? That's a fairly common method of shipping paintings.

How to Safely Roll Up a Finished Canvas Painting

How to Roll up a Painted Canvas
Old 06-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #8

For that size, UPS ground will be your best shipment/carrier method. So it's probably a good idea to have them pack it for you as well. Neither will be cheap, but outsourcing the packing to them increases the odds it arrives in good shape.

Retail boxes and packaging that size are pricey to begin with. If you do decide to pack it yourself, imagine your finished parcel is going to be punted, more than once, before it reaches the destination. No fragile or "this side up" sticker is going to be of any use, and the 4ft drop test minimum guidance is too minimal for something bulky.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
For that size, UPS ground will be your best shipment/carrier method. So it's probably a good idea to have them pack it for you as well. Neither will be cheap, but outsourcing the packing to them increases the odds it arrives in good shape.

Retail boxes and packaging that size are pricey to begin with. If you do decide to pack it yourself, imagine your finished parcel is going to be punted, more than once, before it reaches the destination. No fragile or "this side up" sticker is going to be of any use, and the 4ft drop test minimum guidance is too minimal for something bulky.
Having just bought a bunch of boxes at HD for moving, I can tell you that they should run $1.50 - $1.75 each.
Having UPS pack it will be 10x - 20x that price.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did this recently through Fed Ex, they packaged and mailed cross country. About $220. We had no other way to get it where it needed to go.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Cardboard boxes are easily punctured as is the painting in that box. If doing it yourself, I'd sandwich the painting between 2 sheets of hardboard / Masonite, and then box it. Hardboard is pretty inexpensive but will add to the shipping weight.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreaming View Post
I recently shipped a framed 16x20" painting. I took it to a local "postal & shipping center" - they boxed the painting for me and handed it off to whatever shipper was least expensive for my destination. It cost $57, but it wasn't shipped as far as yours is going.

Search your local YellowPages for 'packaging service' and make sure they're experienced shipping artwork:
https://www.yellowpages.com/search?s...+Angeles%2C+CA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
And insure it for the $200 plus shipping cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just curious -- why can't it be rolled? That's a fairly common method of shipping paintings.

How to Safely Roll Up a Finished Canvas Painting

How to Roll up a Painted Canvas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post

Quote:
Having just bought a bunch of boxes at HD for moving, I can tell you that they should run $1.50 - $1.75 each.
Having UPS pack it will be 10x - 20x that price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
I did this recently through Fed Ex, they packaged and mailed cross country. About $220. We had no other way to get it where it needed to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreaming View Post
Cardboard boxes are easily punctured as is the painting in that box. If doing it yourself, I'd sandwich the painting between 2 sheets of hardboard / Masonite, and then box it. Hardboard is pretty inexpensive but will add to the shipping weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I had one shipped by the local UPS store. Packing and shipping was expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
No idea, but I'm guessing it will cost you more than $200 to ship it. Let us know what you find.
Somehow I missed the replies to my question above Many thanks to each person for the helpful information and suggestions. I did end up going to a local postage and shipping center. A very nice lady there packed it nicely, charging me a bit for packing material. Total cost was about $38 and the painting arrived in perfect condition

Have posted a photo of the painting below. Again many thanks to all for replying!

Braumeister, rolling would have made things easier, but the painting had quite a bit of surface texture to it which seemed to me to rule out rolling it.

painting.jpg
Old 08-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
Somehow I missed the replies to my question above Many thanks to each person for the helpful information and suggestions. I did end up going to a local postage and shipping center. A very nice lady there packed it nicely, charging me a bit for packing material. Total cost was about $38 and the painting arrived in perfect condition

Have posted a photo of the painting below. Again many thanks to all for replying!

Braumeister, rolling would have made things easier, but the painting had quite a bit of surface texture to it which seemed to me to rule out rolling it.

Attachment 32474
where's the poker table?
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
where's the poker table?
Old 08-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #15

Drive it to KS in Tesla. No gas cost..