Good time to lease a car for our situation?

You’ll know it’s time to buy a car when dealers start offering rebates again.

I can let you know the latest next Wednesday. My 19 Tacoma lease is up in August and we're going over the details of me buying it out right, leasing another, or buying another.

Never in my life has the car buying, leasing, options been presented to me in a dealership in a most confusing way. My Tacoma was in for state inspection, so I talked and emailed the sales manager about my availability to meet with him or a member of his staff, to go over my options. He gave me a salesman's name.

The named salesman wasn't working that day, and I waited in an empty showroom for someone to talk to. After 10 minutes, finally someone spoke up. It was a complete waste of time. I never received a detailed quote for my requested Tacoma, for leasing or purchasing nor did I get an out the door quote for purchasing my leased Tacoma. They did give me quotes for a different model, despite me asking again twice for pricing on the model that I wanted, with my selected options.

I will probably purchase this vehicle, keep it or trade for another truck with a different manufacturer. My truck has 22,000 miles on a 36,000 mile 3 year lease. They gave me $1800 equity to work with.

Well... last Thursday 6/15 I provided enough info about me for them to say "we will come back with leasing terms". On Friday the 6/16 "sales manager" contacted me and asked if there was anything I needed, which I answered, yes, the lease figures, I provided the salesperson with the specifics requested yesterday, I want to see if what you provide reflects the current Toyota promotion. Since then... crickets. Their business must be very, very good :).

What, you we're treated poorly by a car dealership? I'm shocked, absolutely shocked! :D

Yeah, I think most dealerships think they're in the cat bird seat and they're gonna make it pay while they can. I'm guessing they want us to bid for their few cars. YMMV

I leased a car through Costco’s buying program. Pretty painless and a good deal on a popular model, rarely discounted.

Never in my life has the car buying, leasing, options been presented to me in a dealership in a most confusing way. My Tacoma was in for state inspection, so I talked and emailed the sales manager about my availability to meet with him or a member of his staff, to go over my options. He gave me a salesman's name.

The named salesman wasn't working that day, and I waited in an empty showroom for someone to talk to. After 10 minutes, finally someone spoke up. It was a complete waste of time. I never received a detailed quote for my requested Tacoma, for leasing or purchasing nor did I get an out the door quote for purchasing my leased Tacoma. They did give me quotes for a different model, despite me asking again twice for pricing on the model that I wanted, with my selected options.

I will probably purchase this vehicle, keep it or trade for another truck with a different manufacturer. My truck has 22,000 miles on a 36,000 mile 3 year lease. They gave me $1800 equity to work with.

I drove to another dealership this afternoon. At least, there they were more cordial and actually had the Tacoma I wanted to the tee. Pick it up at 900AM today, using their 1.75% financing. That's a deal in itself, now on to blow the dough!

Fwiw, I got a blast email yesterday from a local dealership with a 2k price cut on a 22 Ford Escape. First time I've seen one of those in a long time (though I didn't look closely and I suppose it could have had some crazy fine print, or was 2k off the 4k dealer inflated price!).

Our two relatively new vehicles are performing very well, including a SUV Hybrid that gets 42.5 mpg. We can essentially thumb our noses at gas prices as they actually affect us very little.

What's the SUV Hybrid that you have?

I love my Prius at times like this...

I drove to another dealership this afternoon. At least, there they were more cordial and actually had the Tacoma I wanted to the tee. Pick it up at 900AM today, using their 1.75% financing. That's a deal in itself, now on to blow the dough!

The Tacoma held its value over the residual price I had, $1800-2400 between the two dealerships. Got a $750 Loyalty discount, 1.75% for 4 years, 2.75% for 5 years, 3.75% for 6 years. Interest rate arbitrage going on here. The vehicle T wanted was on the lot, with 2 miles on odometer, so no extetion of lease to wait for new truck. This was my first/last lease, I've always bought GM but after I took a drubbing on their preferreds back in 09 , and my 04 Colorado rusted in half, I doubt if I ever go back. The lease was a costly experiment in terms of monetary value, but I learned a lot about what great vehicle a Tacoma is, for me.

Our Prius has had significant problems which needed immediate repairs the last couple of months. Now it seems fine. But two months ago we put in an order for a new one. We’re leasing, then plan to buy at the end of the lease in 3 years.

Why? In 3 years we’ll be on Medicare instead of the ACA and don’t have to keep income low at that time. We’ll probably save enough in premiums to cover the cost of the new car. But we’re thinking about keeping the old Prius too until it gives up the ghost. At 47 mpg we can’t go wrong.

I've never actually leased. But, when I researched it once the one thing I got out of it was to never make a down payment on a lease, let alone $10k. We sold our second car during Covid in 2020 since we weren't using it hardly at all. We figured we would buy a second car later if we needed it. So far, we really haven't. Most of the time we go places together or only one of us needs to go somewhere at the same time. There have been one or two times we've had to work out scheduling. But, right now cars are so expensive we aren't tempted to get one. Maybe in a year or so we will look at it. Or, maybe not.

I've never actually leased. But, when I researched it once the one thing I got out of it was to never make a down payment on a lease, let alone $10k. We sold our second car during Covid in 2020 since we weren't using it hardly at all. We figured we would buy a second car later if we needed it. So far, we really haven't. Most of the time we go places together or only one of us needs to go somewhere at the same time. There have been one or two times we've had to work out scheduling. But, right now cars are so expensive we aren't tempted to get one. Maybe in a year or so we will look at it. Or, maybe not.

Yep, your goal is to put nothing down (ZERO capitalized cost reduction) & pay nothing at signing except the first month's payment...roll as much as possible (taxes, etc.) into the monthly payment.

Since if you are involved in a crash & the vehicle is totaled gap insurance (now included in most leases) won't cover the thousands of dollars you "put down" to reduce monthly payments.

And don't be like one poor elderly gentleman whose story is over on leasehackr who only shopped his nearest dealership to get a particular model.

He had to put ~9k down at that particular dealer to get the sub-$400/month payment he wanted...but hiring a broker for ~$500 to shop different dealers would likely have got him the same model & payment, but with zero down.

Last edited:
Always had at least 2 cars staggered in 4-5 years of age. Leased a few in my younger days but switched to owning. (age 70) Now I changed my mind/strategy 4 years ago with this non economical rationale. We wanted to always have a late model (Choice Rogue Platinum) Took a 3 year lease . Reasoning has been to let DW drive it for maximum safety features and thinking the technology seems to change every 3 years. So we drove it max miles, never went out of warranty, no tire replacements etc. Switched to newer Rogue last year on another 3 year lease. That car has more camera and safety features. DW loves it. I continue to drive the 2016 HONDA CRV for local and we use the Rogue for long trips. Who knows in 2 years ..maybe electric will be more available and we switch the Honda out / and purchase the Rogue..

A couple of times when reading forums I'll see mention of Ford's X-Plan for purchasing. People say you can join a club to get access (IIRC Mustang Club of America). I found another avenue, owning 100 shares of Ford.

For me it's a cheap buy-and-hold decision to keep my purchasing options open should the need occur. I have a 2019 Super Duty to pull our fifth wheel trailer. And if something happened to it, an immediate replacement would likely be necessary.

Best regards,
Bubba

Well a blessed 4 legged hairy thing with horns ran out in front of me yesterday at about 1100am. Yes, a daytime deer, struck right in front of front wheel. 125 miles on truck, $2800 in damages, just glad the airbag didn't go off. While I was going about 30mph, the strike was hard enough to bend fender and push it into door. It opens, but scratches the paint.:(

Well a blessed 4 legged hairy thing with horns ran out in front of me yesterday at about 1100am. Yes, a daytime deer, struck right in front of front wheel. 125 miles on truck, $2800 in damages, just glad the airbag didn't go off. While I was going about 30mph, the strike was hard enough to bend fender and push it into door. It opens, but scratches the paint.:(
Now that is just bad luck. :(

Did it scratch the deer's paint? :D

Wow, sorry that happened.

We bought a used Lexus SUV that had a front corner repair prior to our relationship. It was burning out turn signal bulbs until I asked to have that section of the wiring harness replaced.

Best regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom