Beyonce

Yes, she is a real talent - well done, respectful, the real deal. I watched live, but worth a re-play.

I don't know if someone posted it here, but there was a youtube video taken by one of the people in her entourage - Beyonce warming up in the dressing room, practicing before the concert, singing with just the keyboard player. No amplification, no added reverb, no 'fix it in the mix', no studio effects. Wow, her voice just came shining though!

I actually thought she sounded a bit weak in the first few lines, whether that was just holding back a bit to build it later, or was related to her pulling that earpiece out, I wonder? But when she pulled it, she just kept going w/o missing anything.

I recall Etta James was a bit snarky about Beyonce singing Etta's song "At Last" at the first inaugural. Etta felt that she was the one who was living the Civil Rights fight, that she should have been invited to sing 'her' song. I get it, kind of agree, but life goes on.

Anyhow, thanks for posting, a very good performance.

-ERD50

Indeed, what a beautiful performance! A legitimate contender for second best vocal performance of The Star Spangled Banner ever.

Is it true that she lip sync'd The Star Spangled Banner?

Eh, so what else is new?

• Tuesday, January 22

Welcome to your preview of The Times

Subscribe now

Exclusive: Beyoncé lip-synched Star Spangled Banner at inauguration

VIDEO_Beyonce_mimes_376480a.jpg
video_play.png

A shame about the crack. Hopefully Beyonce avoids that sort of thing.
It is a shame.
Whitney had a perfect voice but was not a perfect person - far from it.

Beyonce lipsynced the anthem?

No wonder the earpiece was not needed. :blush:

That doesn't change anything. The Marine Corps is still saying that the band didn't play live, they are just saying 'no comment' as to whether Beyonce sang live or lip-synced to the pre-recorded track. Obviously, the sound guy knows.

Odd that Kelly Clarkson came out and said she was live. If Beyonce was live, why not clear it up - instead we get 'no comment'?

It's been pointed out that Yo-Yo Ma hand-synced to a recorded track at the previous Inauguration, due to the cold and wind. OK, so if you are going to try to stage a live performance, either do it or don't. Move it to an enclosed area, so they can perform live, or just say, hey, we tried, but we can't do it - here's a recording for your enjoyment.

To try to pass off pre-recorded as live is just dishonest. Ethics don't matter any more?

-ERD50

I think that Beyonce was good but in my opinion, she doesn't quite have the soul that Whitney or Marvin did. Beyonce is good, Whitney was very good, but Marvin was divine and truly soulful.

When Marvin sang the National Anthem, that phrasing was uniquely his, and it sounded completely transparent; as if it's a true reflection of his feeling. Beyonce's phrasing doesn't come across that way to me. Nevertheless, she is good, and she very much has my respect for standing up and singing for us.

After all, who am I but just another armchair critic (and an anonymous one at that) :LOL:

Who cares, not a big deal either way.
I thought ER's were supposed to be full of the joy of life as a result of having exercised control over their lives and gained early freedom from the drudgery of their working lives? Surely this degree of curmudgeonliness is reserved only for the ER-unenlightened?

Obviously not :LOL:

Seriously though, are we so trivial as to make an issue out of this. We have bigger fish to fry, like discussing how to calculate net worth, returns, and the pros and cons of annuities.

MT, I think ground control is calling !

Seriously though, are we so trivial as to make an issue out of this. We have bigger fish to fry, like discussing how to calculate net worth, returns, and the pros and cons of annuities.

MT, I think ground control is calling !
For some music fans, discussion of the relative merits of singers is anything but trivial.

I do see your point though, and from time to time I also see threads here that strike me as trivial and far from the main thrust of these forums. The thread on the banana slicer is one example. It stood out to me because I had just posted the same link on my Facebook account, and it didn't strike me as exactly core material for E-R.org

But hey - we all need a bit of light diversion from time to time. As an INTJ, I find that if a particular thread doesn't interest me, my brain switches off so fast, it's as if it never existed. I let others have their fun and move on to the things that do engage me.

The banana slicer thread was fun and goofy, but I had already had my goofy fun on Facebook, so didn't contribute.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and run my numbers through Firecalc for the 500,000th time, even though I know the result will be the same :D

This is Ground Control to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

Seriously, I do see your point and agree as to discussion of the relative merits of singers is anything but trivial.

Just find it hilarious that the narrative has moved to the lip syncing issue. And to that I meant, who cares. She could stand there all day and lip synce and I would still watch her with impure thoughts popping through my head.
She is a beautiful woman and can sing like no one's business.

Last edited:
I bet when electric sound amplification was first introduced that people debated about whether those who sang should use it and if they weren't as good if they did.

It's probably hard to control the amplification of a singer's voice among ambient sound without a separate track, and to broadcast it (thinking of Howard Dean's scream that was not audible to people in the crowd at the site but isolated by the sound system--poor Howard).

But I guess Kelly Clarkson sounded all right without the separate track.

Last edited:
Who cares, not a big deal either way.
+2. Not sure why it matters as long as it's her voice (and I'm sure it was)...every artist has to lip sync in some situations.

Seriously, I do see your point and agree as to discussion of the relative merits of singers is anything but trivial.

Just find it hilarious that the narrative has moved to the lip syncing issue. And to that I meant, who cares. She could stand there all day and lip synce and I would still watch her with impure thoughts popping through my head.
She is a beautiful woman and can sing like no one's business.
I didn't realize you were talking about the lip-syncing issue - thought you were commenting on the whole thread. Sorry about that.

+2. Not sure why it matters as long as it's her voice (and I'm sure it was)...every artist has to lip sync in some situations.
Even Aretha said this about Beyonce's performance, noting that extreme cold is challenging for a singer. As frayne said, not a big deal either way. It really bugs me how the online "news" media try to make stories out of things that aren't worthy of being made into stories, such as this "was she or wasn't she lip-syncing" issue.

Back
Top Bottom