Beyond Buttermilk: A week's groceries around the world

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
In keeping with Old Age Pensioner's buttermilk post, check this out:

What the World Eats | Photo Essays | TIME

TIME did a photo survey of how the world eats, showing what families spend a week on groceries and shows a week's worth of food. So sad that the American families shown eat more processed foods and less produce than other countries. Also sad that soft drinks are a big portion of the food bill in many countries, not just the US. And the Germans definitely enjoy their beer....

And the Germans definitely enjoy their beer.

On my recent trip to Berlin, I was amused to find that the cheapest thing to drink in restaurants was beer. Usually much cheaper than the same volume of water or soft drink. I, of course, was obliged to follow local custom whether I liked it or not.

"I, of course, was obliged to follow local custom whether I liked it or not."

Don't you hate it whan you get boxed in like that.

Very interesting pictures and information on TIME photo survey, by the way.

Interesting how many more vegetables the people eat who can't afford processed foods.

I'd prefer it if they'd standardized the family size. Some had four members, others twelve. The Bhutan family (12) seemed to eat the least, I guess the beans in the bag on the right had a lot of nutrition.

RTR, dang your luck. Beer rather than water, know you hated that bit of bad luck. We can't win.

T-Bone, 12 people in a household eating beans. As a trombone player have you ever tried............................ OK, nevermind!

tangomaster,
Nice find, it's pretty revealing. Unlike the jumbo Tee's and baggy pants.

So sad that the American families shown eat more processed foods and less produce than other countries.

I don't eat like that, but then I don't have kids at home so that probably helps. I thought the Sicilian family's food looked really good, though they had a lot more bread than I should eat. They probably get more exercise than I do. They had a lot of soft drinks, too.

Also sad that soft drinks are a big portion of the food bill in many countries, not just the US. And the Germans definitely enjoy their beer....

I haven't bought any soft drinks or beers in a long time. I would act all virtuous and stick my nose in the air, except that actually I do buy Crystal Light in powder form to mix with my tap water. It's cheaper than soda, but really it is not a necessity and has no nutritional value.

So sad that the American families shown eat more processed foods and less produce than other countries.

-----

Yup. I was looking at some of the other countries thinking, "look how nice and fresh and GREEN the table is!"

Also sad that soft drinks are a big portion of the food bill in many countries, not just the US. And the Germans definitely enjoy their beer....

Best I can tell, 7 out of the 15 had some kind of soft drink .. interesting. Thanks for posting!

That was awesome - I did like the Sicily - and yes, the Germans like their beer - however, near the Rhine, it's their wine (also the Main River - the bochsbottles are from there) they like. Was amazed at how little the Ulaanbataar ate as well as the tribe - plus, look at the different pets and the pet food shown...very interesting - thanks for posting.

Silly me - I was also amazed at the processed foods overseas. (thought that was primarily an American thing) I just figured the "just add water to hydrate" ethnic foods in the commissary were so the military members could revisit certain flavors from overseas. Maybe that is what they really ate!

Real food is the best!

Back
Top Bottom