A few thoughts on paying for the $3T Infrastructure Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidfin

Recycles dryer sheets
There is much discussion surrounding the president’s $3T infrastructure proposal and how to pay for it. Predictably, sides are being drawn regarding how to pay for it, usual according to political persuasions.

Virtually all of our existing infrastructure was built in the past century by private businesses paid for by the American tax payer. The infrastructure we're talking about includes the interstate highway system, clean water delivery & treatment facilities, coastal ports, railroad tracks and facilities, airports and space facilities to name a few. The nation's original railroads were largely funded through private investment essentially subsidized and paid for by granting the railroads very generous rights of ways across our nation and supporting tariff regulations.

An interesting question is why did the country make such a significant investment and to whose benefit. The answer is clear. It allowed America to advance to become the world's lone super power. To set the world's agenda and to promote freedom and democracy. If we wish to stay in this position, then continued investment is the great enabler of a shared prosperity - the country's infrastructure should be among our highest national priorities.

Much of the proposed infrastructure bill is intended to repair roads, bridges, refurbish airports and other key components of our nationwide transportation system. Currently, our nation is ranked 13th in infrastructure quality. That seems to me to be a national shame. Infrastructure like most things gets used up, decays over time or becomes obsolete. So since our fellow citizens from the early last century built and foot the bill for our current infrastructure, it falls to us to repair, replace and upgrade our nation’s current infrastructure. It’s too bad we as a nation waited so long to do what needs to be done. It's far better to stay on top of maintenance as it usually far cheaper to correct problems early then wait for catastrophic failures.

Personally, I don’t know anyone who likes to pay taxes. So it should come as no surprise that the paying for infrastructure is not creating a ground swell of support. However, it is necessary if as a society, we want nice things.

The current discussions include raising taxes on corporations and wealthy individuals and businesses. This makes sense to me since corporations are the heaviest users of our nations infrastructure. But corporations will be only the first in line to pay. Unsurprising, corporations will raise prices to cover at least a portion of their tax bill passing on those costs to the consumer. So in the end everyone ends up paying for needed infrastructure repairs and upgrades. That seems fair.

A final thought. The jobs created by this massive infrastructure proposal are likely to be high paying union jobs across the country. These jobs cannot be exported to other nations where labor is cheaper. Seems like a win win to me.

While I agree with most of your position any thread of this sort involving who pays for what quickly devolves into a partisan clash and soon disappears under Porky's cheerful hand.

One possibility is to change the rules on what we get for the money spent...

As an example, the people who build bridges and roads do not guarantee them... I have seen many of them fall apart and crumble and need repairs within 5 years... this requires us to spend more money than if we built it right in the first place...

I hate corp taxes as it really is a stealth tax to us... corporations know what they will pay and do pass most (really all) of the taxes on to us...

You cannot tax the rich enough to get all the money that people want to spend...

One of the questions that I always ask when people say 'tax the rich as they do not pay their fair share' is.... what is their fair share? They are already paying over 40% of the income tax right now...

We need everybody to chip in, not just the rich... sooo, tax people who use the roads and rails for new roads and rails...

Tax people who use airports for the new airports (which is happening some now)...

Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Until specific bills are being legislated, let's leave politics to the politicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom