bicycle tune-up

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Spring is in the air. Just dropped off my bicycle for a tune up.

Indeed, today I just completed a demo ride on a 2013 Trek Damone. Spring is in the air, and thoughts of an upgrade to a carbon frame fill my head. I know the bike will make me go faster :D, it has nothing to do with the motor ;).

All I've got is a Dahon folding. But it sure is nice to just put that on the back of my small car and off to the shop.

It's probably time for a tune up for mine too. I just wore out my first set of tires and replaced them over the winter.

This is my first tune up since purchase (about 4 years ago). The bad front alignment is the most noticeable. The bicycle shop I brought my bicycle in has a 50% sale on tunes ups (Jan and Feb are slow months). Plus, the shop has high reviews on Yelp. Only $35 for a tune up.

Indeed, today I just completed a demo ride on a 2013 Trek Damone. Spring is in the air, and thoughts of an upgrade to a carbon frame fill my head. I know the bike will make me go faster :D, it has nothing to do with the motor ;).

Nice, what did you think? A couple friends are looking at them as we'll.

Indeed, today I just completed a demo ride on a 2013 Trek Damone. ;).

Madone you mean. Get a carbon fiber frame. it rides so much nicer. I am going to get a steel frame bike this spring though for commuting. It'll replace my aluminum cyclocross with the bad geometry.

Madone you mean. Get a carbon fiber frame. it rides so much nicer. I am going to get a steel frame bike this spring though for commuting. It'll replace my aluminum cyclocross with the bad geometry.

Agree on carbon but Damone is newest Trek, different from Madone

I do my own wrenching. Fun to learn & gives ya confidence you can (usu) handle some emergency repairs out on the road.
FWIW- Did my 1st club ride of the yr last weekend just north of Indy. Pretty typical Feb in Midwest at 40F with 20+mph wind. Great riding 25mph downwind, but rather miserable riding 12mph into rainy 20mph wind :(

Nice, what did you think? A couple friends are looking at them as we'll.

I went out for 26 miles along a route I have been on many times with my Giant aluminum frame. At first, I was unsure if there was an advantage. Then I realized that the road vibration and the bumps I was feeling was through my hands and feet. Very little was transmitted up the stem to the seat (my butt). I then started hitting bumps on purpose. I wouldn't lift up, but just road through them. Amazing! The Damone is quick, responsive (and I am now sounding like a commercial).

Check for yourself at your local LBS. Now, I need to convince my DW that this will be a good investment. Not only for my motivation to keep active, but for my overall physical, and mental health.

Tailwinds!

All I've got is a Dahon folding. But it sure is nice to just put that on the back of my small car and off to the shop.

How do you like the folding bike? How much do you ride?

Anyone else use folding bikes?

We were thinking of getting a pair so we can take them with us on our road trips. We were thinking it would be easier to take into hotels at night.

We were thinking of getting a pair so we can take them with us on our road trips. We were thinking it would be easier to take into hotels at night.

Thanks for asking.

I am quite happy with my folding bike and would much rather have a folding one than not. I don't ride it that much. Mainly, just to run errands when the weather permits. I go a few mile trips here and there, such as getting a hair cut, to the dentist, and especially when I get my car serviced and don't want to have to wait. I just ride my bike home, then have the car place call me, then ride my bike to pick up my car. Also, in the summer, I ride it about 5 miles every couple of days for exercise.

My folding bike only has 16 inch wheels but for me, it is not uncomfortable and I actually like the smaller sized wheels as I think that is easier to control. Also, I get a kick sometimes when I ride dark a park and kids yell out "Cool bike!" which usually happens a few times each summer.

I don't fold the bike much as I have the seat post to a certain height and don't want to have to re-position that each time. Plus, the bike weighs about 30lbs. But the portability is nice as when I do fold it, I fold the handle bar down, then put the bicycle on the back seat area of my small car. If I folded the bike all they way, it does fit in my trunk.

Tried my father-in-law's folding bicycle while visiting. Good for a mile or two, but beyond that it became unwieldy and unpleasant. He got it for all the right reasons, and has never really used it because it doesn't properly serve it's intended use. If space is a premium . . . I'd still try to come up with some other option.

On that note, I am looking forward to my first ride (on a full size bicycle) in a long time tomorrow morning. Hopefully 20 miles or so. I'm pretty sure it will require a chain lube and other adjustments when I return. And then many Spring miles to follow.

You got me searching and salivating over those Treks. But I'm just too LBYM and the price scares the stuffing out of me!

I'm still more of a fitness guy just trying to get the heart going, so I have a very modest 7 year od (and way affordable) Giant hybrid.

However, as I near my ER, I think I will make an investment sometime in the next few years. I'd like to ramp up my riding and enter some of the longer charity events. A lighter bike would sure be much more of a joy.

Spring fever is hitting me now. I can dream, no?

I can relate. I started with a low end Trek hybrid, 15 years ago for exercise. I put so many mikes on it, the bottom bracket wore out. The LBS said the bike wasn't made for the long miles I was doing. I upgraded to my Giant aluminum frame. That was 7 years ago. I now have over 20K on this one. As I track all of my yearly expenses, maintenance costs are increasing each year. I am facing the potential of about 500 in costs this spring (new cranks, new seat, repack/replace bottom bracket, new cables). I began looking at the new Treks as a way to ease the use of the Giant, and thus allowing me to put the repair costs towards a new ride. (that's my rationale and I am sticking to it).:D

Cycling for me is becoming a life style. I usually schedule one multi-day, 500 mile ride each year. The training it takes for these long rides, not only keeps me in shape, but it keeps me motivated to stay active throughout the year. Especially on the days when all you would rather do is sleep in, or sit on the couch.

You don't quit cycling because you grow old. You grow old because you quit cycling

What does a bicycle tune up consist of? I mean beyond the obvious points, condenser and spark plugs?

Had one of these back in the early 80s with the Campy components, it was a great racing bike, but I traded it in on a more comfy Trek mountain bike about 10 years ago. I also had a set of rollers for riding indoors in bad weather which is very good for learning to ride with balance.

I just got back from picking up my tuned up bicycle. Haven't given it a ride (too cold out) but I like the work. Going backwards now makes no noise as the chain is nice a lubed and I barely have to press the brakes for that to engage. Spring will be fun.

I still have my old Cannondale road bike hanging in my garage. Have not rode it in 20 years.

What does a bicycle tune up consist of? I mean beyond the obvious points, condenser and spark plugs?

It probably includes replace the grease in the wheel hubs, the bottom bracket, and the steering tube. (all have loose ball bearings), and then adjusting the cones so the bearings work just right. In addition one would look at the brake shoes and check the cables and shifters out.

My 1963 Chicago Schwinn will be 50 years old this year. It doesn't need a tune-up, it needs a complete restoration. I live on a dead-end road. Most days in the winter I ride the loop on the dead-end road to the main road. It's about a 3 mile loop.

The serial number on a Chicago Schwinn will indicate the exact day a bike was manufactured.

I went out for 26 miles along a route I have been on many times with my Giant aluminum frame. At first, I was unsure if there was an advantage. Then I realized that the road vibration and the bumps I was feeling was through my hands and feet. Very little was transmitted up the stem to the seat (my butt). I then started hitting bumps on purpose. I wouldn't lift up, but just road through them. Amazing! The Damone is quick, responsive (and I am now sounding like a commercial).

Check for yourself at your local LBS. Now, I need to convince my DW that this will be a good investment. Not only for my motivation to keep active, but for my overall physical, and mental health.

Tailwinds!

Agree there is a difference between stiff aluminum (AL) & compliant carbon frame bike, and modern carbon bike is nice if you have the $$ to spare. HOWEVER difference ain't all that great. I've ridden multiple centuries (100+miles) on both my stiff Cannondale CAAD5 (all AL) and "plush" carbon Cannondale Synapse. Riding the same wheels (important!) IMHO the ride difference is similar to switching from 23 to sl wider 25 tires, and I do not hesitate to take my AL CAAD5 on long rides as the mood strikes me.

Pedal time- it's all good!

I bought a pair several years ago when I was trying to talk DW into a travel trailer. While I was carried away with enthusiasm I bought these two lightly used off Craigslist.

If storage space is at a premium then they are a viable solution but I found them uncomfortable. Admittedly perhaps a more expert fitter could adjust things so that is less of an issue. These came with the weed-whacker engines installed and those do work well, to the point that I was thinking a bicycle helmet is insufficient and a motorcycle helmet is more suitable for those speeds. Probably ~35 mph on level road, wide open.

I put them back up for sale last year in the bicycle listing on Craigslist but no offers. Next spring I'll put them up on the RV listing.

Attachments

• Dahon_folding-1.jpg
    Dahon_folding-1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Dahon_folding-2.jpg
    Dahon_folding-2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom