Bicycles

I thought I might as the experienced cyclists what are the better bicycle pumps available. My recent one blew out its valve this evening while I was trying to pump of my front tire. Small parts flying everywhere, impossible to find. So, it's time for a new pump. . I would like to get one that I can easily get replacement parts for, if that is possible. FWIW, I use the wider Schrader valve.

The pump that blew its guts out is a Blackburn Air Tower TPS-2. Not sure if I want another as it is hard to get onto the valve stem and lock in place. Rather than pressing or puling on a lever, one has to turn a handle 90 degrees which I find awkward.

Last edited:
I've have one of the Topeak Joe Blow models, been using it for years and it's held up well. The gauge seems accurate, at least for my needs.

This is like the one I've had for many years, but it doesn't qualify as it cost less than $10.
I got mine at Walmart.

0007734157772_500X500.jpg

I didn't see this thread the first time around in 2014, but a couple of years ago (one year into ER) I got bitten pretty hard by the mountain bike bug. Other than the fact that going OTB hurts a bit more in my late 50s I'm having a grand old time. I was a low key roadie for many years (<20 mile local rides) but never jumped on a modern mountain bike until age 56. What fun. Anyone else?

My crank forward bike is fun, but I will probably end up with a tadpole trike.

ICE Adventure recumbent trike 2014 - YouTube

I have a Trice recumbent I bought back in 1998. That was the name of the company before they changed it to ICE. It has the 26" rear wheel. I had it shipped from England and had the frame powder coated. It still looks like new. It has been a great recumbent trike. Another company in Florida called Catrike makes a nice recumbent too. They have received a number of awards over the years for their design and quality. If I was to get another I would look carefully at them too.

I also have a Klein. I bought the frame in 1990 and built the bike with all Shimano 600 Ultegra. Nice bike that was the first large tube aluminum bike that was copied to make Cannondale bikes. I can't ride it at the moment due to balance issues and multiple surgeries. I may have to find it a new home and stick with the recumbent trike.

Cheers!

I have an early '90s Klein, big tube aluminum...nice bike still. I had a couple of riding acquaintances get clipped by cars (one fatally), and I became so scared of cars I stopped riding for nearly 20 years. I have since moved to where the traffic is less daunting, and am in the very early stages of getting back on it. I live on a lake now, and the views and the lanes are pleasant.
Just yesterday I upped the mileage from 7miles to 10miles, and was surprised how tired I was, and ready for it to be done, by the time I was finishing it up. But I am determined to not push myself too far, too fast, at nearly 65 years of age.
I have set aside some $ for a new bike, but was hesitant to pull the trigger until I was more certain I'd enjoy riding, and I'm getting there.
Also, wanted some experience to help me decide what kind of position I wanted to ride in. The Klein with the drop handles, even up on the bar, is tough on my neck.
Not sure where to go from here.

I'm doing my first group mountain bike ride this weekend up in the local mountains. Figured I'd finally get out and meet some new people and ride some new dirt. Still ride solo and local nearly every morning since I can roll from the house to the hills in less than 15 min (on the dreaded paved roads filled with commuting - "gasp" - workers!).

I thought I might as the experienced cyclists what are the better bicycle pumps available. My recent one blew out its valve this evening while I was trying to pump of my front tire. Small parts flying everywhere, impossible to find. So, it's time for a new pump. . I would like to get one that I can easily get replacement parts for, if that is possible. FWIW, I use the wider Schrader valve.

The pump that blew its guts out is a Blackburn Air Tower TPS-2. Not sure if I want another as it is hard to get onto the valve stem and lock in place. Rather than pressing or puling on a lever, one has to turn a handle 90 degrees which I find awkward.
I've been using a Blackburn Air Tower 1 floor pump for years and years. I use it about twice a week to pump up my 110 psi tires on road bike w/Presta and about once a month on a commuter bike with Schrader valves to 60 psi.

The nozzle end fits both types of valves without any changes and it has a flip lever lock, an air gauge. Other things I like: The handle is smooth without lettering or bumps that would stick in your palms and the pump barrel is not too large which would make pumping to high pressure a chore and also not too small which would make pumping large volumes a chore. I also use it to pump up my car tires.

I'm not sure what could "explode" on Blackburn pumps, but I see https://backamp.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/how-to-fix-a-blackburn-tps-2-bicycle-pump/

I probably wouldn't have answered this post except I rode 27 miles this morning before breakafast and used my pump before I started to top up the pressure in my tires.

Last edited:

Another option would be to replace the pump head with one more to your liking. I found a nice one a couple years ago in the 2-3 dollar range.
Of course it goes without saying, pump heads are subject to unusually high inflation pressures.

I used to be big into light carbon fibre road bikes. But as I have aged, the body seems to prefer a more upright position. I currently ride a Giant Sedona, a reasonably priced ($450ish) hybrid that meets my exercise needs.

This is like the one I've had for many years, but it doesn't qualify as it cost less than $10.
I got mine at Walmart.

0007734157772_500X500.jpg

As I read the label, it only goes to 60 psi. My tires require 80-100 PSI. Otherwise, I would love to save the money. Thanks.

I like bikes and bicycles, more bicycles these days. I'm in the market for a new bicycle and maybe someone here can help recommend one. I'm interested in a hybrid type but with drop bars if possible. I do mainly road or paved bike trails and prefer the speed of a road bike but would like to be able to ride on hard dirt or gravel. Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at a Trek Crossrip or the flat bar FX.

I've had good luck with my Trek FX 7.1 though if I was to buy now Id upgrade to disk brakes.
I'm 3 miles away from the old Erie canal trail. If I go West i get 3 miles of paved trail, East gets 30+ miles of run and crush stone. The Trek works great on both.
Just got a new rack and trunk so I can do my grocery shopping with it.
Also have a Specialized Roubaix road bike. AARP recommended for the older rider. Light carbon fiber bike and very comfortable. 8 years ago I rode that in the cycling section of a half Ironman. Still proud of how well my team and I did.

As I read the label, it only goes to 60 psi. My tires require 80-100 PSI. Otherwise, I would love to save the money. Thanks.

DH bought me an electric pump from Sears a few years ago. I love it. It’s not portable, but it is SO much easier to use than the hand pumps. Pumps my bike tires up to 90 PSI in no time.

Back
Top Bottom