Billiards Tables...Info please

Maneiac

Dryer sheet aficionado
OK ..Pool gurus...what is the usual size pool table to look for and what to look for re: quality/construction etc. I have a finished room 13ft wide X 20ft long in the Basement that would look awful good with a pool table in it! The other attached open arch room about 14 X 14 would be great for one of those game tables I bet!
Also...re pooltable accessories...what is recommended? I did notice three size pool cues...I think they were 48in., 52in, and 56 inches? Would the mid size cues be good for most applications?. Can I assume the 4X8 table is the "standard" home table?

Thanks for any info
Larry

I play a lot of pool too myself too and I find the smaller tables more enjoyable to play on. Mainly because I like to play in a bar and it's always fun to hit those good runs when people are watching / the pressure is on. I don't think you will be disappointed with an 8 foot table at all, especially if you will be playing with some people that don't play that often and/or arent as skilled. However, if you are going to always be playing with skilled players then I don't think you would be disappointed with the larger tables.

Ponks

The most critical components of a billiards table are:

1) Slate, the thicker the better. Flat and true.
2) The cushion. Uniform in bounce, made of good rubber.
3) Cloth. This depends on the game. Fast, medium, or slow. Thread count is quite high, and should perfectly shaved (Simonis make excellent cloth).

Everything else is just decor. The best tables are usually very expensive and come from europe. I second CT recommendation about the minimum distance between the edge of the table and the wall. Anything less than 5ft is crowded.

On Thursday nites, I play pool with a seasoned citizen in a pool hall. He's 81 or so years old; doesn't really want me to know. Anyway, he wins half of the games, at least. Even though I'm not very good, I wondered why, until his wife let it slip that he was some type of local champ in California 30+ years ago. I used to play in the military dorms, in the mid 1960s. I was a green lad then, and can vouch for being hustled. My 81 year youngster and I don't play for money, these days. Good thing. When I grow up, I hope to be able to play as good as he.

Thanks all for the information. The link was very useful also, thanks cut-throat.

Based on the measurements in the link that cut-throat provided...the room I have is about the max for the 8 foot Home size table (44X88) and using 57in. cues. Or even more clearance using a 7ft or 7.5ft table. *Room is actually 13.2 wide by 20 long wall to wall. The adjoining 14 X 14 room would be better for the card table/game table setup.
Appreciate the "slate" table tips...now to find something reasonably local to do the install and "heavy lifting"...Access won't be that easy either.

Cheers to all....I've waited 57 years for a table...time to "just do it"

Appreciate the "slate" table tips...now to find something reasonably local to do the install and "heavy lifting"...Access won't be that easy either.

Access will be no problem as the tables come in pieces. The setup includes 'seaming the slate into one piece.

Back
Top Bottom