Billy Joel's "Davy"

Bigdawg

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yesterday was a stormy gloomy day here in Southern Maryland. I was driving to the gym when Piano Man came on. Seems Billy Joel was talking about all the sad souls there in the bar to include Davy who is still in the Navy and probably will be for life. Then I thought about the mythical Davy. The song was written in 1973 so Davy was probably in his 5th year or so. I have two work friends who came into the Navy in 1968. One guy was an Aviation Electrician. He retired after 30 years as a Commander (O-5). Got paid mid 6 figures as a contracter. He has a total of 10 watercraft. 38 ft sail boat all the way down to a kayak. He lives on a beautiful house on the Patuxant River. In life there seems to be many stereo types. My firiends were shocked when I enlisted in the USMC 27 years ago. Now they are jealous of what I have achieved. Lots of ways to get to FI and RE. I enjoy the diversity on this site. Executives and blue collar folks and everything in between.

Billy Joel's &quot:Davy"

He has a total of 10 watercraft. 38 ft sail boat all the way down to a kayak. He lives on a beautiful house on the Patuxant River.

I wonder BigDawg is he debt free? Stuff after all on its own doesn't mean well off.

Had dinner with some friends at a local Mexican joint. The conversation hit upon kids and discipline. During the last crash our friends pull phone privileges from their daughter. The school called shortly thereafter inquiring if everything was alright at home. Teachers had been instructed to watch for signs of distress. A lot of those mc mansions with 2 fancy cars in front of them were living month to month..and were drowning in consumer debt.

Stuff don't mean nuttin...

Last edited:
In life there seems to be many stereo types. My firiends were shocked when I enlisted in the USMC 27 years ago. Now they are jealous of what I have achieved.

We were talking about this just yesterday. A friend commented that if she could do it over again, she'd "get into the courts or RMV" (Mass state) and COLA pension out at 45 years old.

Why wonder?
The lyrics, "And he's talkin' with Davy who's still in the Navy and probably will be for life" were inspired by David Heintz. His daughter Lisa told us: "He met Billy Joel in a pub in Spain in 1972 while he was in the Navy. He married while he was in the navy, had three children. He passed away in 2003 of ALS. It really hurts when I hear this song played on the radio and they leave this part out."
Piano Man by Billy Joel Songfacts
David Heintz, known as Davy to his friends, served a respectable career in the US Navy. He first enlisted in 1967 and bravely served in the Vietnam conflict. Davy continued to serve until his retirement as a Chief Petty Officer in 1987. Davy eventually married and had three children. He lived happily as a veteran, family man, and active member of his community until finally succumbing to ALS in 2003. Donations can be made on his behalf to further research for a cure here.
http://postgradproblems.com/where-are-they-now-every-character-from-billy-joels-piano-man/

Last edited:
Yesterday was a stormy gloomy day here in Southern Maryland. I was driving to the gym when Piano Man came on. Seems Billy Joel was talking about all the sad souls there in the bar to include Davy who is still in the Navy and probably will be for life. Then I thought about the mythical Davy. The song was written in 1973 so Davy was probably in his 5th year or so. I have two work friends who came into the Navy in 1968. One guy was an Aviation Electrician. He retired after 30 years as a Commander (O-5). Got paid mid 6 figures as a contracter. He has a total of 10 watercraft. 38 ft sail boat all the way down to a kayak. He lives on a beautiful house on the Patuxant River. In life there seems to be many stereo types. My firiends were shocked when I enlisted in the USMC 27 years ago. Now they are jealous of what I have achieved. Lots of ways to get to FI and RE. I enjoy the diversity on this site. Executives and blue collar folks and everything in between.

+1
Diversity is one of the things I value most about this site.

Back
Top Bottom