RIP Alan White

finnski1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As someone who grew up in high school in the mid 70's, YES was one of my (and still is) favorite bands.

"Alan White, our beloved husband, dad, and grandpa, passed away at the age of 72 at his Seattle-area home on May 26, 2022, after a brief illness.
Throughout his life and six-decade career, Alan was many things to many people: a certified rock star to fans around the world; band mate to a select few, and gentleman and friend to all who met him.
Alan was born in Pelton, County Durham, England on June 14, 1949. He began piano lessons at the age of six, began playing the drums at age twelve, and has been performing publicly since the age of thirteen.
Throughout the 1960s, Alan honed his craft with a variety of bands, including The Downbeats, The Gamblers, Billy Fury, Alan Price Big Band, Bell and Arc, Terry Reid, Happy Magazine (later called Griffin), and Balls with Trevor Burton (The Move) and Denny Laine (Wings).
In 1968, Alan joined Ginger Baker’s Airforce, a new group that was put together by the former drummer of Cream and other noted musicians from England’s music scene including Steve Winwood, formerly of Traffic.
In 1969, Alan received what he thought at the time to be a prank phone call, but it was John Lennon calling to ask Alan to join the Plastic Ono Band. The next day Alan found himself learning songs in the back of an airliner headed to Toronto with Lennon, Yoko Ono, Eric Clapton, and Klaus Voormann. The ensuing album, Live Peace in Toronto, sold millions of copies, peaking at number 10 on the charts.
Alan’s association with Lennon continued, recording singles like ‘Instant Karma’ and the subsequent landmark album, Imagine, with Alan providing drums for the title song, ‘Jealous Guy’, and ‘How Do You Sleep at Night’. Alan’s work with Lennon led to an introduction to George Harrison, who asked Alan to perform on the album All Things Must Pass, including the single, ‘My Sweet Lord’, released in 1970. Alan subsequently worked with many artists for the Apple label, including Billy Preston, Rosetta Hightower, and Doris Troy.
Alan joined YES on July 27, 1972, and with only three days to learn the music, YES opened their US tour before 15,000 fans in Dallas, Texas on July 30, 1972. Alan has been with YES ever since, and with the passing of founding member, Chris Squire, in June 2015, Alan is the longest continuously serving band member.
Alan is preceded in death by his parents, Raymond and May White (née Thrower), his sister-in-law, Mindi Hall, and many loyal furry companions. He is survived by his wife of forty years (May 15, 1982) Rogena “Gigi” (née Walberg), his children, Jesse (Emily), their two children JJ and Ellie, and Cassi (Kela), and sister-in-law Andrea Holmqvist (Robert).
Gigi, Jesse, and Cassi "

Saw Yes during the Topographical Oceans tour. Guess who I’ll be listening to today. Which reminds me of this gem.

First Chris Squire, now Alan. Are Bruford and Howe still alive?

I was that rarity, a girl Yes freak. Saw them in concert (Relayer). Even wrote a paper on them for some college course (got an A+ - you always write better when you write about what you love). I am pretty sure I mentioned White's feat of learning Bill Bruford's complex drumming patterns for "Close to the Edge" in only 3 days before going on stage.

Finnski, I'm with you. Growing up in the 70's I was always a huge YES fan. I saw them in concert many times and we practically wore out the grooves in their albums. Very sad that Alan White has passed, he was an amazing drummer.

KCGeezer, thanks for sharing that clip...I've never seen that before but Abbott and Costello were always a favorite too!

I think I'm going to put on YES music today and this week too. Thanks for the tribute/ reminder.

I was that rarity, a girl Yes freak. Saw them in concert (Relayer). Even wrote a paper on them for some college course (got an A+ - you always write better when you write about what you love). I am pretty sure I mentioned White's feat of learning Bill Bruford's complex drumming patterns for "Close to the Edge" in only 3 days before going on stage.

Amethyst, yes you sure were a rarity. I always wondered why more girls weren't into YES when I was in Jr. High and High School and we were going to the concerts with just "the guys".
Even their artistic album covers by Roger Dean couldn't get more girls interested in the group. :cool:

So sad that these groups/ musicians from our youth are gone or getting too old to play/ tour any longer.
With that said, I can't wait to see Paul McCartney at Met Life stadium in 2 weeks. That will sure bring back lots of great memories of growing up!

Amethyst, yes you sure were a rarity. I always wondered why more girls weren't into YES when I was in Jr. High and High School and we were going to the concerts with just "the guys".
Even their artistic album covers by Roger Dean couldn't get more girls interested in the group. :cool:

So sad that these groups/ musicians from our youth are gone or getting too old to play/ tour any longer.
With that said, I can't wait to see Paul McCartney at Met Life stadium in 2 weeks. That will sure bring back lots of great memories of growing up!
Had a few girl friends that were into them in high school but not many.

That's a great story. Relayer was actually a favorite of mine as well. Some wild stuff on Gates of Delirium.:)
Forgot to add: yes Bruford and Howe are still alive as is lead singer Jon Anderson(however he is not on the current bands new album having been ousted?) with Steve Howe as the only old time member still involved.

Last edited:
I loved the melodies and the music's sheer complexity. The lyrics annoyed me because they made no sense, and as a teen I strove to analyze them to figure out what I was missing.

When researching the band, I learned that they used a computer program called a "versifier" (or some such - this memory is 45+ years old) to scramble a list of words that the band members liked. The reason I couldn't make any sense of the lyrics was that they were meant to evoke feelings, not make sense.

Hard to imagine Yes without Anderson's distinctive falsetto.

The original musicians made solo albums and took part in spin-offs, two of which (GTR and ASIA) I saw in concert. My husband liked them, too. He was a jazz fan, and pointed out the influence of jazz-rock fusion on the group.

Last edited:
I loved the melodies and the music's sheer complexity. The lyrics annoyed me because they made no sense, and as a teen I strove to analyze them to figure out what I was missing.

When researching the band, I learned that they used a computer program called a "versifier" (or some such - this memory is 45+ years old) to scramble a list of words that the band members liked. The reason I couldn't make any sense of the lyrics was that they were meant to evoke feelings, not make sense.

Hard to imagine Yes without Anderson's distinctive falsetto.

The original musicians made solo albums and took part in spin-offs, two of which (GTR and ASIA) I saw in concert. My husband liked them, too. He was a jazz fan, and pointed out the influence of jazz-rock fusion on the group.
Hah, YES lyrics seemed very mystical as a teenager, perhaps that was part of the attraction. Also loved the melodies and the syncopation of their arrangements. They are doing a Relayer complete album tour next year in Europe. Can't imagine them without Jons' vocals.

RIP
YES is featured heavily in my prog Rock channel on Pandora. I guess that's what happens when you upvote it every time:)

I was a Yes fan in the 70s but shifted my musical focus in the 80s and beyond. What a time to be alive when FM rock was beginning and growing into a dominant force in music. RIP Alan White.

I went to few concerts as a teen. My social group were Yes freaks. We played Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and Pink Floyd incessantly at our group parties. I saw them twice, ELP once, Rick Wakeman on solo tour.

Loved the lyrics; still do.

I went to few concerts as a teen. My social group were Yes freaks. We played Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and Pink Floyd incessantly at our group parties. I saw them twice, ELP once, Rick Wakeman on solo tour.

Loved the lyrics; still do.
Hah. I graduated from high school in 1977. My social group was very similar. Throw in a sprinkling of Moody Blues, maybe a little Jethro Tull and we were good.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom