Bird Flu - 2013

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What effect would a pandemic have on investments? If the H7N9 strain of bird flu spreads, as now seems likely, since people without contact with birds are now getting it,. I was thinking when should people move out of equities, especially seeing the stupid market response to the hacked AP twitter feed. I'm being rash and alarmist, right, and nothing to worry about? :hide:

Taiwan man contracts H7N9 bird flu, first outside mainland China

The questions are ow virulent and how lethal will this strain turn out to be? If the strain is easily communicable, but not very lethal it is unpleasant but not a big deal. If it is lethal but does not spread easily, its likely to be a small impact. Where problems arise is an easily spread very lethal strain. But at least world public health authorities are paying attention and hopefully they will get the vaccine out in time.

I recall viewing a TV report on this China bird flu and came away with this: In China when you go to buy a chicken you point to at a feathered bird in a cage, the store guy snatches it from the cage, lops off the head and hands it to you while it is still twitching. He may offer you a plastic bag to place the ex-bird and then you pay him for it.

In America we pick up a prepackaged (post dead) bird and then pay for it.

One method is safer than the other.

I recall viewing a TV report on this China bird flu and came away with this: In China when you go to buy a chicken you point to at a feathered bird in a cage, the store guy snatches it from the cage, lops off the head and hands it to you while it is still twitching. He may offer you a plastic bag to place the ex-bird and then you pay him for it.

Tell that to the chicken.:hide:

That is how it starts. Tests on the the H7N9 virus in the people that caught it show that it came from the chicken mostly unchanged. Avian Influenza is notorius for a high mutation rate, and It could mutate into human to human transmission. No proof of that yet, but everyone wants to know how that businessman from Tawain got it.

Did you know that there are about 150 live bird markets in the USA, mostly in New Jersey and New York

a few more links

H7N9 Bird Flu Spreads Beyond China, Unusually Dangerous Strain - Health News - redOrbit

Bird Flu Mutating: Are We On The Brink Of A Deadly Pandemic? - International Science Times

Phylogenetic Analysis of H7 Avian Influenza Viruses Isolated from the Live Bird Markets of the Northeast United States

Until it's not...just sayin

Wake me when it's a global pandemic.

Meanwhile, I've got cats that want me to play with them, and there's a big shiny world to go play in.

I don't know about you, but I'm gonna keep my bird inside now after reading all this. And I hope he doesn't see it on TV, or else he's gonna have to be on Xanax.

Back
Top Bottom