Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

So... What did happen to the schmuck?
He joined a retirement forum on the web.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Birds of a feather...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me the men are more verbose on this forum.

Anybody looking for a research project?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Mead, that's actually pretty funny... and true.

My relationship experience, though, doesn't jibe with the study. I especially notice it during phone calls. I mean I really notice it. To borrow a line from CFB... "not that there's anything wrong with that."
Old 07-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Well, as has been established several times (I think...a few times here and once by intercst) many ER's are INTJ / "director" / "driver" types.

Clearly our communication is going to be a bit different from the norm...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:22 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I predict that may be true--but if CFB got a sex-change operation it would go the other way
Old 07-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Man, thats too ugly a concept to consider any further...
Old 07-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I was not consulted in advance on this poll. Where do I go to cast an opposing vote?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

On the matter of womens communications vs mens or on the subject of my getting a sex change?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

hmm, have known many a talkative man - it's the listening part where they seem most generally challenged...
Old 07-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
On the matter of womens communications vs mens or on the subject of my getting a sex change?
We could call you Jessica Rabbit!
Old 07-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Oh I think she looks a whole hell of a lot better in a dress than I would...

I'll gladly photoshop you an example if you wish...
Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
hmm, have known many a talkative man - it's the
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
listening part where they seem most generally challenged...
I agree with this. I have sat in bars with groups of men and women listening to the men shoot themselves down time and again.

If you are with a woman, pay close attention, talk to her about her and always in a complimentary fashion. It really helps if you can find legitimate things to compliment.

Today I went into a store that I have been going into for 6 or 7 years. The middle aged clerk who had always been the basic NW utility woman- lousy taste in clothes, terrible hairdo, etc.- had a truly stunning cut and color. Her stylist must be a genius, because the clerk was transformed. The color perfectly picked up her skin tones, and she looked at least 15 years younger. I told her how very nice she looked, and she damn near came over the counter. She was so happy to see that it had worked for her the way she wanted it to work.

For the most part, women donít really give a damn about the things men like to talk about.

Ha
Old 07-08-2007, 01:13 AM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via MSN to Fool_working Send a message via Yahoo to Fool_working
I have to agree with the other posters. I am a guy, and I will often answer yes/no questions with a simple yes or no, and I amazed how many times girls will sit and wait for you to expound on your answer.

When they say they wanted more detail I am left wondering.. 'Then why didn't you ask for detail instead of asking a yes/no question'

I also have noticed that I tend to think VERY linear... so linear in fact that I often don't pick up on innuendo or metaphors

Old 07-08-2007, 10:12 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

You married guys talking about the yes/no problem... When you are doing things like reading, do your conversations go like this?

Her: "What ya doing?" (watching me read, so she already knows the answer)
Me: "Reading"
Her: "Why?"
Me: (bangs head on book)

I've come to realize that the "Why" isn't really a question so much as a statement that I should be doing something else, something she finds to be more meaningful. Like... talking to her

As much as it drives me crazy, I wouldn't trade her for the world... but don't tell her I said that. She'll start to think she can keep nagging me while I'm trying to read!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

What drives me crazy is how guys will not dish out the gossip ! You'll say did you talk to Chris ( who's in the midst of a messy divorce ) and he'll say "Yes " and I'll say " What's up " and he'll say " Nothing " .We women know something is up and we want the news so stop holding back .
Old 07-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
What drives me crazy is how guys will not dish out the gossip ! You'll say did you talk to Chris ( who's in the midst of a messy divorce ) and he'll say "Yes " and I'll say " What's up " and he'll say " Nothing " .We women know something is up and we want the news so stop holding back .
That's one of the Man Laws. I know you've seen the commercials - those really exist. I know some crazy secrets about our friends, but I won't repeat them for a very good reason - to keep him from repeating mine

And of course, on the 1 in a million chance the friend "shared his feelings" with me, I'd take a bullet before I'd let a woman know he was anything less than all that is man. *thumps chest while typing* Yes, our egos are that fragile.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We cant dish it because we never get it!

I'll tell my wife "Oh, I saw Jack and Bill yesterday"... "well...? Is jack still seeing christie and did bill get his new job?"..."I dunno"..."You didnt ask? What did you talk about?"..."We just stood around and grunted at each other for 15 minutes."
Old 07-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'll tell my wife "Oh, I saw Jack and Bill yesterday"... "well...? Is jack still seeing christie and did bill get his new job?"..."I dunno"..."You didnt ask? What did you talk about?"..."We just stood around and grunted at each other for 15 minutes."
Why would personal lives intrude upon a manly conversation about sports, motorcycles, tools, and Vida Guerra? Guys see conversation as a way of entertaining & asserting dominance, not for any of that sissy stuff like problem-solving or mutual bonding.

I'd say it's a minimum of 15 minutes of grunting, especially if Vida is holding a football while wearing a toolbelt astride her Harley*...

*As soon as CFB reads this post then Google Images, Photoshop, and Photobucket are going to experience unusually heavy use. Plan ahead!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We cant dish it because we never get it!

Or they'll say we talked about "The Game "